Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

IAIN DOWIE SACKED BY CHARLTON - 9 Years Ago today

Comments

• Atrocious appointment .....
  • I don't, the damage was done.

Wish we'd appointed someone like Hodgson instead.
  • If only it had been decided in January 2006 that Curbs would leave then it would have left longer.

ID had commited a gross act of misconduct. Several acts of gross misconduct.

At the time looking at how ID had taken palarse from relegation dogfighters to play-off winners in the same season or any team for that matter seemed quite attractive at the time. But I had my niggling doubts.
  • If only it had been decided in January 2006 that Curbs would leave then it would have left longer.

At the time looking at how ID had taken palarse from relegation dogfighters to play-off winners in the same season or any team for that matter seemed quite attractive at the time. But I had my niggling doubts.

He did then get them relegated too!

He did then get them relegated too!
    True but had them in the play-offs again. Oh I don't know.
  • I've always wondered what if Curbs had seen out his contract? Why did Murray think that would not be ideal? It might have affected the recruitment process that summer in a slightly negative way but we would have probably had a smooth transition. Or maybe Curbs would have changed his mind by the end of the season. The most recent example I can think of is Sam Allardyce - he was in the last year of his contract with West Ham last season yet he managed to sign a few players like Aaron Cresswell who turned out to be a very good signing. They had an okayish season and now have moved on to become an even better side.
  • 9 years on and we're still in a bloody mess.......

What gross misconducts did he commit? People have said this but never said explicitly. Always felt that smacked of "I know something you don't know nurr" at the time
  • Sponsored links:

• And we are still cleaning up the mess he made
  • Nah Dowie was never going to get us out of that mess...
  • C_A_F_C said:

Murray really got one over on Simon Jordan.

Did he?... Did he really get one over Tango man?
  • 9 years of shite punctuated with a wonderful season of hope.

Least we've got to go to all them new grounds eh?
  • edited November 2015

I don't, the damage was done.

Wish we'd appointed someone like Hodgson instead.

So do I, but can you imagine the moaning about another "boring manager?" It wouldn't have mattered to the moaners that the club was about to miss out on a massive hike in SKY income.

At the time, Iain Dowie did look as though he was a hungry young manager with a little bit about him but in hindsight there were too many changes to personnel. Plus Darren Bent spending a big chunk of the season injured, sealed our fate.
  • Carter said:

9 years of shite punctuated with a wonderful season of hope.

To be fair, I really enjoyed going to Exeter, Brentford and Chesterfield. And Yeovil was one of the best days I've ever had supporting Charlton!
  • Simonsen said:

Carter said:

To be fair, I really enjoyed going to Exeter, Brentford and Chesterfield. And Yeovil was one of the best days I've ever had supporting Charlton!
    Was that the day is pissed down?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2015
    Have that Simon Jordan.....oh wait
  • Should have gone for pardew
  • iaitch said:

Simonsen said:

Carter said:

Was that the day is pissed down?
    Yep. I've had many many away trips but that one probanly makes the top ten.
  • Where has that time gone?? I still remember that season like it was last week!!

9 years later and we're still shit.
  • The best bit was people honestly thought curbs had taken us as far as he could,

Not that this was why he left but it's insane to think that if curbs never left that year we more than likely would not be where we are now,
    And Rd probably wouldn't own us
  • In autumn 2003 I casually ran our club call 12,11,46 and there was talk of Curbs having problems and Dowie then at Oldham was linked with us. Some nearly 3 years before he did come in.
  • Where has that time gone?? I still remember that season like it was last week!!

9 years later and we're still shit.

Apart from 2011/12. 101 points and all that.
    What about the Championship season we finished 9th?
  • Shit appointment
    Shit sacking
    Shit Murray

This.

And he's still here like a bad smell.

Sign Dowie to piss off Jordan, give him the war chest, then replace him with Les fucking Reed. That period is what got us relegated.

Thanks for ruining our football club with your out of control ego, Richard. Nine years later and you still show no humility. Thank god people are starting to see you for what you really are.

• Please observe with a minutes laughter.