Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Another Shooting In America?

Comments

• Is Limeygent a paid up member of the NRA, as his determination that no change is posible really sums up the arguments that you hear from those guys.
    Personally, Shootershillguru hit the nail on the head. Total ban tomorrow, and in 40 years time, the numbers come way down. Plus there was a knife amnesty back in the nineties. I don't know how much the statistics changed, but a lot of knives got handed in. Long journey, first step, etc etc.
  • It's 100% a question of gun availability. If we had guns over here, every Friday and Saturday night in every high street across the land it would be like a fucking wild west show. It's bad enough now - imagine what pissed up morons would do with their birds egging them on if they had shooters.

Totally agree. It would be the same here in China, which is also exactly what my parents and I have been saying every time we see news of a shooting in America. I haven't read every post on this thread. I don't intend to get involved in a debate but I always feel that the argument that people need guns to protect themselves doesn't hold much water. You will never ever feel safe in a country where guns can be so easily acquired. And it's not a chicken or egg problem. In my opinion, guns should be strictly controlled or even banned in the first place.

By the way I don't think it is a coincidence that in America there are so many 'police officers shooting unarmed civilians' incidents.
  • Could you imagine the chengguan with guns.....
  • edited October 2015
    One reason for relaxed gun ownership is to protect citizens from a despotic government. The US population could revolt against their rulers in a way that simply isn't possible in unarmed societies. I'm not making an argument about whether it's worth the level of lives lost but I'm sure its part of the reason many fight so hard to retain the second amendment.
  • I like to put this question to people. "If a homeowner shoots and kills an intruder, has a crime been prevented?"

You can tell a lot about people by the way in which this question is answered. Often an American will stare back, incredulously at me and say "of course".

And an English person will stare back, equally incredulously and say "of course not".
  • One reason for relaxed gun ownership is to protect citizens from a despotic government. The US population could revolt against their rulers in a way that simply isn't possible in unarmed societies. I'm not making an argument whether it's worth the level of lives lost but I'm sure its part of the reason many fight so hard to retain the second amendment.

No, it's just another outdated excuse given by saddos incapable of accepting we are not living in the 1800's any more. No one needs to keep a fully automatic assault rifle under the stairs just in case they don't agree with government policy on health care.
  • It's 100% a question of gun availability. If we had guns over here, every Friday and Saturday night in every high street across the land it would be like a fucking wild west show. It's bad enough now - imagine what pissed up morons would do with their birds egging them on if they had shooters.

Actually having given it some thought it would clense the gene pool.
  • I believe I have posted this comment before on another thread:- I have a mate who is a green keeper for two golf courses in Florida, he moved out there about 6-7 years ago. Anyway he was telling me that his daughter often gets invites to 'shooting partys' a bit like a 'bowling party' in the UK except they go to a rifle range and have target shooting competitions for the kids followed by jelly and ice cream.
    Also he says that in Florida there is hardly any road rage because if some angry git gets out of their car after being cut up and opens your car door, you are entitled to shoot them.

• Greenie said:

It's 100% a question of gun availability. If we had guns over here, every Friday and Saturday night in every high street across the land it would be like a fucking wild west show. It's bad enough now - imagine what pissed up morons would do with their birds egging them on if they had shooters.

In which way through?
  • Sponsored links:

• Greenie said:

It's 100% a question of gun availability. If we had guns over here, every Friday and Saturday night in every high street across the land it would be like a fucking wild west show. It's bad enough now - imagine what pissed up morons would do with their birds egging them on if they had shooters.

In which way through?
    The bit in bold. Morons etc.
  • Greenie said:

Also he says that in Florida there is hardly any road rage because if some angry git gets out of their car after being cut up and opens your car door, you are entitled to shoot them.

Is that worth the cost in lives from these mass shootings though?

• Greenie said:

Greenie said:

In which way through?
    The bit in bold. Morons etc.
    I was just wondering if the morons are more likely to wipe each other out or turn their guns on the more productive members of society. We could have a bit or reverse Darwinism to contend with.
  • Rizzo said:

Greenie said:

Is that worth the cost in lives from these mass shootings though?

I have no idea. I live in Meopham.
  • Greenie said:

I believe I have posted this comment before on another thread:- I have a mate who is a green keeper for two golf courses in Florida, he moved out there about 6-7 years ago. Anyway he was telling me that his daughter often gets invites to 'shooting partys' a bit like a 'bowling party' in the UK except they go to a rifle range and have target shooting competitions for the kids followed by jelly and ice cream.

Hardly any road rage in Florida? That's the funniest thing I have heard in a long time!

Woman Killed in Fla Road Rage
    On Nov 13, 2005 a woman entered Hodges Boulevard in Jacksonville and got into the left lane. The vehicle she got in front of had to slow down and apparently was upset by this. According to witnesses the second vehicle then tried to pass the woman could not and then started tailgating. Next the aggressive driver managed to pass the 24 year old woman and got in front of her then tapped his brakes. This caused the woman to swerve off the road where she was killed. The woman killed was Kierra Shore, the 24 year old mother of twins.

Man Shot In Fla Road Rage
    In 2007 an incident of road rage led to a confrontation between three Jacksonville men and Eric Houck from Land O' Lakes that left Houck dead and the three others charged with second degree murder. The incident began when Houck pulled into the emergency lane to avoid another car, cutting off the three Jacksonville men, who were driving in the emergency lane to avoid traffic. The incident escalated, a gun was pulled, and Houck was shot and killed.

Shooting in Fla Road Rage
    In 2008, a former corrections officer bringing his kids to school was involved in a shooting incident with another driver. The incident began when Louis Davis passed a slower driver, who then rammed Davis with his vehicle. After shots were fired, Davis dropped off his children and returned to seek out the other man, Victor Vilches. The two exchanged gunfire.

In May 2010, Richard Waters was arrested after an incident of road rage. After being cut off by a red Dodge Ram, Waters swerved twice to hit the truck, which eventually lost control, veered into the oncoming lane and hit the car driven by Amy Krupp with her 10-year-old son in the passenger seat. Krupp and her son are both in critical condition.[Krupp later died - Waters was jailed for 22 years]

And then there's this fantastic example of how guns help to prevent road rage in Florida...

Man Calls Police During Road Rage Incident, Kills Driver

In July this year, Robert Doyle (51) and Candelerio Gonzalez (44) were both driving on a Florida highway. Doyle called the police to report Gonzalez's driving. And, at the same time, Gonzalez's wife called 911 to report Doyle's driving. That should have been the end of it. However, Gonzalez said he was going to follow Doyle home to get his address. Doyle realised he was now being followed and, still on the phone to the police, said, "they're following me to my house ... and the guns are already out". Gonzalez parked up at Doyle's house and Gonzalez shot him. Doyle has been charged with second-degree murder.

And, of course, there's this classic example, last month. of why you shouldn't combine the three most-deadly and dangerous things in America: guns, cars and stupid people...

Man Shoots Himself in Fla Road Rage

A man is in the hospital after shooting himself and crashing his car in a road rage incident.
    Deputies say the confrontation began near Constitution Boulevard and U.S. 41. A woman was attempting to write down a male driver’s license plate number when he pointed a handgun at her vehicle. Once the two cars neared the Corkscrew Road intersection, the sheriff’s office says the man then appeared to point a rifle at the woman. The man continued heading down Corkscrew Road when he ended up crashing into the guardrail and somehow shot himself.

• They can't live (irony) without their guns? Fine. The only guns that should be legal to buy are standard 6 chamber revolvers. To protect yourself you don't need more than 6 bullets.

You want to hunt? Fine, you may own 1 rifle. The old school ones where you have to manually pull the lever to load the chamber.

No automatic weapons unless you are an officer of the law or a serving member of the armed forces.
  • edited October 2015
    Chizz said:

Greenie said:

I believe I have posted this comment before on another thread:- I have a mate who is a green keeper for two golf courses in Florida, he moved out there about 6-7 years ago. Anyway he was telling me that his daughter often gets invites to 'shooting partys' a bit like a 'bowling party' in the UK except they go to a rifle range and have target shooting competitions for the kids followed by jelly and ice cream.

Hardly any road rage in Florida? That's the funniest thing I have heard in a long time!

On Nov 13, 2005 a woman entered Hodges Boulevard in Jacksonville and got into the left lane. The vehicle she got in front of had to slow down and apparently was upset by this. According to witnesses the second vehicle then tried to pass the woman could not and then started tailgating. Next the aggressive driver managed to pass the 24 year old woman and got in front of her then tapped his brakes. This caused the woman to swerve off the road where she was killed. The woman killed was Kierra Shore, the 24 year old mother of twins.

In 2007 an incident of road rage led to a confrontation between three Jacksonville men and Eric Houck from Land O' Lakes that left Houck dead and the three others charged with second degree murder. The incident began when Houck pulled into the emergency lane to avoid another car, cutting off the three Jacksonville men, who were driving in the emergency lane to avoid traffic. The incident escalated, a gun was pulled, and Houck was shot and killed.

In 2008, a former corrections officer bringing his kids to school was involved in a shooting incident with another driver. The incident began when Louis Davis passed a slower driver, who then rammed Davis with his vehicle. After shots were fired, Davis dropped off his children and returned to seek out the other man, Victor Vilches. The two exchanged gunfire.

In May 2010, Richard Waters was arrested after an incident of road rage. After being cut off by a red Dodge Ram, Waters swerved twice to hit the truck, which eventually lost control, veered into the oncoming lane and hit the car driven by Amy Krupp with her 10-year-old son in the passenger seat. Krupp and her son are both in critical condition.[Krupp later died - Waters was jailed for 22 years]

And then there's this fantastic example of how guns help to prevent road rage in Florida...

In July this year, Robert Doyle (51) and Candelerio Gonzalez (44) were both driving on a Florida highway. Doyle called the police to report Gonzalez's driving. And, at the same time, Gonzalez's wife called 911 to report Doyle's driving. That should have been the end of it. However, Gonzalez said he was going to follow Doyle home to get his address. Doyle realised he was now being followed and, still on the phone to the police, said, "they're following me to my house ... and the guns are already out". Gonzalez parked up at Doyle's house and Gonzalez shot him. Doyle has been charged with second-degree murder.

And, of course, there's this classic example, last month. of why you shouldn't combine the three most-deadly and dangerous things in America: guns, cars and stupid people...

A man is in the hospital after shooting himself and crashing his car in a road rage incident.
    Deputies say the confrontation began near Constitution Boulevard and U.S. 41. A woman was attempting to write down a male driver’s license plate number when he pointed a handgun at her vehicle. Once the two cars neared the Corkscrew Road intersection, the sheriff’s office says the man then appeared to point a rifle at the woman. The man continued heading down Corkscrew Road when he ended up crashing into the guardrail and somehow shot himself.

You do make me laugh Chizz, just to disprove a comment you go out of your way to search the Net for evidence, you did realise I said 'hardly any' not 'none at all'. Its a bit of a worry.
    Also my mate lives out there and thats what he says and how it feels, and he would probably tell you to fuck off and mind your now business, because from behind your keyboard you really aint got a scooby.
  • I meant to add that it's always struck me that people don't point out that the reason criminals in the USA are armed is because they have to be. They have to have the advantage over who they're targeting. In this country they will have knives or baseball bats or even just the element of surprise. But everyone has a gun, the police are armed, so the criminals have to be armed too. This is a paradigm thing for the US, because they start with 'criminals are armed' rather than understand why.
  • Sponsored links:

• Twelve year old Dejah Joyner was standing in her living room at home in Long island at 5pm on Friday; She died on Saturday from the wounds she received from the stray bullet that flew through the window and struck her.

How do the NRA apologists suggest her life might have been saved if only she'd been armed?
  • They won't. In this case it's being linked to gang activity. This will be a law and order issue, bad guys will always get guns even if they are illegal. As a result regulating guns will have no effect. But it does highlight that these people are out there, so you'd better arm yourself.

They do have an answer for all different situations, although the last sentance always finds its way in.
  • Terrible story breaking this morning about a man entering a school in Sweden, apparently injuring people with a sword or knife.

How long will it be before we hear the NRA - or their ilk - telling us it wouldn't have happened if only the kids had been armed?
  • 1 teacher killed with a sword.
  • edited October 2015
    Chizz said:

Twelve year old Dejah Joyner was standing in her living room at home in Long island at 5pm on Friday; She died on Saturday from the wounds she received from the stray bullet that flew through the window and struck her.

How do the NRA apologists suggest her life might have been saved if only she'd been armed?

Chizz said:

Greenie said:

Chizz said:

Greenie said:

You do make me laugh Chizz, just to disprove a comment you go out of your way to search the Net for evidence, you did realise I said 'hardly any' not 'none at all'. Its a bit of a worry.
    Also my mate lives out there and thats what he says and how it feels, and he would probably tell you to fuck off and mind your now business, because from behind your keyboard you really aint got a scooby.
    I thought it very funny indeed that someone might think there are "hardly any" road rage incidents. South Florida has, apparently been named as the "road rage capital of the United States" for three consecutive years by AutoVantage.

(Yes, I did realise you said "hardly any" - that's why I put "hardly any" in the first line of my post).
    Yeah, but why was Doyle charged with second degree murder when he was the one shot?

• A woman in the US state of Indiana is recovering after being shot by her dog in a bizarre hunting accident, an environment official says.
    The woman, named as Allie Carter, 25, was hunting waterfowl on Saturday in the north of the state, Jonathon Boyd, an Indiana conservation officer said.
    She put down her 12-gauge shotgun but her chocolate Labrador stepped on it, shooting her in the foot.
    To add insult to injury, the dog was named Trigger.

• A woman in the US state of Indiana is recovering after being shot by her dog in a bizarre hunting accident, an environment official says.
    The woman, named as Allie Carter, 25, was hunting waterfowl on Saturday in the north of the state, Jonathon Boyd, an Indiana conservation officer said.
    She put down her 12-gauge shotgun but her chocolate Labrador stepped on it, shooting her in the foot.
    To add insult to injury, the dog was named Trigger.

Guns don't kill people, dogs do.