Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

BBC 3 and 4

Sir Bruce Forsyth said he would cut BBC 3 and 4 if he was Directory General.I perhaps agree with 3 but BBC 4 is the best channel the Cooperation have.Is it just me being an oldie that likes all the nostalgia on 4 or does it appeal to the younger generation?

Comments

• The fact that it is a Corporation rather than a Cooperation probably matters when it comes to making decisions.
  • I'm 33 and if I had to cut one, it would probably be BBC One. Not to say that there isn't some watchable stuff on there but there's a lot of dross as well imho.

Lots of different tastes out there though and the Beeb is expected to cater to all of them. There will be a lot of people who find the BBC Four programming dull as ditch water.

I've said it on here before, but moving abroad has made me realise just what a fantastic broadcaster the BBC is. Sure it has it's faults, but it consistently delivers world class programming in a diverse field of genres from drama to comedy and from documentaries to sport at exceptional value for the price of the licence fee ( fraction of the cost for Sky or the cable package I subscribe to out here).
  • Who wouldn't listen to a man who does this for a living?
  • BBC3 is the best for hard-hitting documentaries (eg "Sun, Sex and Suspicious Parents", "Don't Tell The Bride" and "Snog, Marry, Avoid").
  • Love all the old music stuff they show on a Friday night - shame if/when it goes

Yes, there have been some great music documentaries and compilations on Fridays, for several years now.
  • Who wouldn't listen to a man who does this for a living?

He looks like he's sticking one up his shitter while taking a load on his boat!
  • I can honestly say I don't think I have ever watched a single programme on BBC3 or 4
  • Love all the old music stuff they show on a Friday night - shame if/when it goes

Absolutely..some really good music/documentrys on 3.
  • Sponsored links:

• I can honestly say I don't think I have ever watched a single programme on BBC3 or 4

Then you have missed all the best police dramas, and the best political drama, made in the last 10 years. But they may not be your thing. Honestly, there is no drama I've enjoyed more on TV than them, although Peaky Blinders would be in there. And look how the commercial rivals responded. Sky made a pale ripoff of The Bridge, and C4 bought a French police drama which mainly had the striking Northern coast scenery going for it. You could argue that they could move that stuff over to BBC2 but then the subtitles issue comes up. In the 80s BBC2 used to show loads of great subtitled European films but somebody - presumably the Daily Mail - decided that it was a threat to our national sovereignty, making the great British public read subtitles on the BBC. Or something like that.
  • cafcfan said:

I can honestly say I don't think I have ever watched a single programme on BBC3 or 4

Then you have missed all the best police dramas, and the best political drama, made in the last 10 years. But they may not be your thing. Honestly, there is no drama I've enjoyed more on TV than them, although Peaky Blinders would be in there. And look how the commercial rivals responded. Sky made a pale ripoff of The Bridge, and C4 bought a French police drama which mainly had the striking Northern coast scenery going for it. You could argue that they could move that stuff over to BBC2 but then the subtitles issue comes up. In the 80s BBC2 used to show loads of great subtitled European films but somebody - presumably the Daily Mail - decided that it was a threat to our national sovereignty, making the great British public read subtitles on the BBC. Or something like that.
    Not a film but BBC4 ran the excellent Inspector Montalbano and The Young Montalbano detective series in Italian with subtitles, so they haven't gone entirely.

BTW I hear that BBC1 is to be rebranded as BBC Premier next year and will only be available on Sky. BBC3 & 4 won't be scrapped but called BBC One and Two. The new name for the existing BBC2 hasn't been confirmed yet but might be BBC Skybet + One.

Sky's adverts to launch the subscription only service will imply that TV didn't exist until 2016.

BBC Scotland will only show amateur productions.
    You're trying too hard.
  • cafcfan said:

I can honestly say I don't think I have ever watched a single programme on BBC3 or 4

Not a film but BBC4 ran the excellent Inspector Montalbano and The Young Montalbano detective series in Italian with subtitles, so they haven't gone entirely.

BTW I hear that BBC1 is to be rebranded as BBC Premier next year and will only be available on Sky. BBC3 & 4 won't be scrapped but called BBC One and Two. The new name for the existing BBC2 hasn't been confirmed yet but might be BBC Skybet + One.

Sky's adverts to launch the subscription only service will imply that TV didn't exist until 2016.

BBC Scotland will only show amateur productions.
    I have also heard that Bruce Forsyth will be on the new Truth and Balance Authority which will vet all BBC news and current affairs output. It will be headed by Paul Dacre and will also include Nigel Farage, Kelvin McKenzie, and Karren Brady.
  • BBC 3 is for a Family Guy, the funniest show on TV!
  • cafcfan said:

From his description, Prague seemed to be talking about The Bridge, The Killing, Wallander, Les Engrenages and Borgen, all of which were in their original languages and subtitled on BBC4, and many of them were part-funded by the BBC. But such series would not appear on BBC2, never mind BBC1, any more.

I enjoyed Inspector Montalbano - it was more like a collection of films than a TV series. To be honest, I mostly enjoyed the stupid little jokes and seeing the nice sunny Sicilian weather.

Behave. Family Guy hasn't been funny for about six seasons now
  • Anyone watched Beck (Swedish crime drama) on BBC 4 yet? The missus is a big fan of the radio adaptations so will probably give them a go but wondered if anyone else had yet and what they thought?

Behave. Family Guy hasn't been funny for about six seasons now
    Agreed, overated when it was good and ran out of ideas seasons ago.

• Sponsored links:

• Also let's not forget, at a time when they are talking about cutting "talent pay" and/or channels, where are all the multi million pound earners sitting, of which forsyth was one? It's like saying "we can outsource our entire customer services department to India" when they start talking about staff wage reductions in your workplace. It might not benefit the corporation in the long run but it might keep your pay packet safe!
  • I can’t abide Bruce Forsythe.

He has bled millions out of TV over the years, the last 20 or so on a sympathy vote from the great British public for what can only be described as ‘cringeworthy’ performances.

Now that he has finally packed up he can’t stop spouting about closing down other people’s careers and jobs - what a piece of work.

I think you can add to that the a couple of decent comedies on BBC3 (Uncle and Bad Education), the many excellent historical and art documentaries on 4 - featuring people like Lucy Worsley, Ian Hislop and Waldemar Januszczak. And Only Connect...
  • Its good that Bruce is speaking out about BBC 3 & 4.
    However he should have spoken out a bit more in the 70's.

What, he can see into the future too?
  • Anyone watched Beck (Swedish crime drama) on BBC 4 yet? The missus is a big fan of the radio adaptations so will probably give them a go but wondered if anyone else had yet and what they thought?

Missed this. Is it brand new (to BBC4 anyway) ?

Rather disappointing to my eyes (I only watched the first episode), compared to (e.g.) Montalbano and Spiral ..
  • BBC 4 Music documentries are the best I have ever seen would be a shame to loose them.
  • PL54.I knew I had made a mistake on the word after I sent it,but as there were no comments so I hoped no one would notice.Its hard to believe I came top at spelling in my class at School.
  • BBC 1 = strictly apprentice soap den (which are actually all scripted soaps anyway)
    BBC 2 = repeats and spin offs from the above

BBC 3 and 4 are the only output worth watching.