Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Foot-Golf

Anyone tried it? A friend and I have been playing for the last two or three months, really enjoying it. We get some of the kick you get out of playing a nice ball without the stress of running around. The course in my area (Burstow) is small but it's pretty well kept and there are 18 holes. Would like to try some more areas, any course recommendations would be well-received.

Comments

• edited September 2015
    I played in Cambridge a few months ago on a par 3 course with my eldest sons football team and it was a lot of fun but... if you are going to play make sure it's not damp on the ground because we went quite early in the morning when the grass was still wet and i lost count of how many dads went A over T because they slipped when trying to get distance on the ball !
    Needless to say the kids found it hilarious.
  • Yeah, played it at Corinthians in Longfield.

Was a laugh but not sure I'd rush back.

Hills on the course were a pain, balls were rolling miles away if you were a tiny bit the wrong way!
  • I've played Golf with a few people who have employed the "leather wedge" when faced with difficult shots:-)
  • PLAYED IT ONCE NEVER AGAIN FUCKIN BORING
  • If you go with a bunch of friends/mates it's a good laugh or entertains youngsters
    Take it for what it is -to have a laugh
    Can recommend tonbridge
  • Its a laugh with mates. I did the 18 at brentwood. Recommend.
  • Played for the first time yesterday. Thought it was great fun. Definitely going again.
  • I hit a hole in one yesterday. Apparently if I did it in competition I would win a trip to New York. All I got was a pat on the back from my mate. Still, made up for losing by 3 holes.
  • Sponsored links:

• JiMMy 85 said:

I hit a hole in one yesterday. Apparently if I did it in competition I would win a trip to New York. All I got was a pat on the back from my mate. Still, made up for losing by 3 holes.

Where did you play? I saw a hole in one yesterday
  • Burstow, Surrey. Seems unlikely but would be pretty funny if you were the group next to us who witnessed it!
  • I was at Gunnersbury so just as unlikely.
  • so, is it kicking a golf ball around a course or a football. If a football, no-way can you get it down the holes so do you just have to hit the flag thingy?
  • so, is it kicking a golf ball around a course or a football. If a football, no-way can you get it down the holes so do you just have to hit the flag thingy?

There's extra bigger holes.
  • My local course has 18 holes built an on what was previously a nine hole golf course. So it's exactly the same style of greens and hazards but shorter fairways. The holes are larger than a football. It's mostly par fours with a few par threes.

They're improving the course all the time, making tees trickier so you have to consider laying up rather than just smashing it as far as you can (which is nowhere near as far as you think it'd be). Hitting a chipped curler onto the green is immensely satisfying!
  • @colthe3rd I've been planning on playing Gunnersbury since I saw they opened it as I'm quite often there on a Saturday morning anyway. Is that your local? there's also one at the top of the hill by Hanger Lane
  • I really fancy a go at this, must be some local places
  • It's good.

Advise: Do it on a sunny day with minimal wind. Make sure balls are fully pumped up to the max. Wear loose clothing jogging bottoms obviously etc.

You might be underwhelmed by the teeing off process which probably sounds like the most fun. Thought I have a great goal kick in me. I was wrong.
    When on what you call "the green", it's much better to under hit the ball then thinking you are a good passer of the ball and this should be going in at a solid pace. Depending on distance, usually a weak tap will be better then going straight passing hit to finish it there. Every finish is most likely to be a steady tap in.
  • rina said:

@colthe3rd I've been planning on playing Gunnersbury since I saw they opened it as I'm quite often there on a Saturday morning anyway. Is that your local? there's also one at the top of the hill by Hanger Lane

Not my local but close to a few mates of mine so I went with them. It's not great, essentially shares with the pitch and putt but it's good to go and just try out to see if you like it. Think it was only about £6 for 9 holes. Think we're going to try a few different ones.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dave2l said:

on what you call "the green"

So...what do you call it?!
  • Matt Tees was good at this apparently, and Rodney Green was useful too.
  • I played it at birchwood a couple of years back. It was shit and I've never played since. There was one hole where it rolled back to the same spot regardless of where it was kicked unless it went in. I ended up booting it in the lake and headed for the 19th.

I'm not sure if birchwood is a good of bad course?
  • Birchwood looks decent looking at the pictures but hard to tell really. Gunnersbury looks more like a pitch and putt from the videos I saw.

Epsom looks worth a try.
  • I really fancy a go at this, must be some local places

Beckenham Place Park does it, not sure if that's any nearer to you than the other places mentioned.
  • For people in the west county try Seaton for footie golf or just golf with a great view.
  • So what's the rules then? Tee off hand held drop kick, or everything goal kick / free kick style?
  • Does the football go on a big tee?
  • There are two markers and you place the ball anywhere between them. There's is no tee, more like a goal kick. Everything else is the same as golf, rules-wise. I'll take some pics next time.
  • I think I prefer the idea of golf football more. I would like to see what De Gea or Cech would make of a well struck wood from the penalty spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcRwbuSoGyc