Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Transfer Windows Is Officially Open, Time to Expect a 'Flurry' Of Signings....

Today is the 1st of July, the date all Charlton fans have been looking forward too, officially 'the Transfer window' is now open, hopefully Roland is going to dig deep, and get us out of this division, expecting a huge flurry this month...

I'm predicting at least 5-6 quality signings this month.

Comments

• Which direction do you think he will want to move us. Polish Pete/Ansil Koc sort of direction, or Tony Watt/JBG sort of direction. We've always bought in players, but with very mixed results.

Which direction do you think he will want to move us. Polish Pete/Ansil Koc sort of direction, or Tony Watt/JBG sort of direction. We've always bought in players, but with very mixed results.

One's from the 99p saver menu.
  • does that mean that Gomez's signing by Liverpool was illegal??..........yippee.we might get him back then.
  • If a transfer window 'slams shut' what do we call it when it opens?
  • Fly's open?
  • seth plum said:

If a transfer window 'slams shut' what do we call it when it opens?

Paneless?
  • Let's be fair to Duchatelet, after the players from the SL scrapheap in the 13/14 season, the players we got last season from SL were largely excellent.

Ben Haim
    Buyens
    Watt
    Bulot

all had excellent spells.

He also spent £2.4m on Vetokele and obviously pays JBG high wages. Now he's brought in Bauer and we've got this ex-€3m striker from Italy.

I'm still not really sure why people still question his committment to Charlton Athletic. It's not like he doesn't throw money about.

Jokes about McDonalds aside, I agree with you.

I'm more concerned about the quality we might lose than the quality of what we'll bring in.
  • seth plum said:

swings?
    gapes?
    eases?
    flies?
  • seth plum said:

Paneless?
    Unlike wading through the rumours thread to sort the wheat from the chaff and now this one as well!! :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• LuckyReds said:

Let's be fair to Duchatelet, after the players from the SL scrapheap in the 13/14 season, the players we got last season from SL were largely excellent.

Ben Haim
    Buyens
    Watt
    Bulot

He also spent £2.4m on Vetokele and obviously pays JBG high wages. Now he's brought in Bauer and we've got this ex-€3m striker from Italy.

I'm still not really sure why people still question his committment to Charlton Athletic. It's not like he doesn't throw money about.

I'm more concerned about the quality we might lose than the quality of what we'll bring in.
    We've lost Gomez who was quality, but he was always destined for bigger things. We haven't lost anyone else so that belief does seem a bit unfounded.
  • edited July 2015
    I think that JBG will be the real test but I think this is just down to the desires (financially, in the main) of the player himself.
  • The thing about Gudmundson is when the window closes not when it opens. I'll be surprised if there isn't an offer late August but fingers crossed....
  • The thing about Gudmundson is when the window slams shut not when it opens. I'll be surprised if there isn't an offer late August but fingers crossed....

Fixed.

• LuckyReds said:

Let's be fair to Duchatelet, after the players from the SL scrapheap in the 13/14 season, the players we got last season from SL were largely excellent.

Ben Haim
    Buyens
    Watt
    Bulot

We've lost Gomez who was quality, but he was always destined for bigger things. We haven't lost anyone else so that belief does seem a bit unfounded.
    It's also only the first of July!

I didn't say it was based on anything in particular but there were rumours about JC and JBG - two quality players I'd like to keep.

Our squad was already weakened by the end of the season - with Buyens and Bulot going back and TBH going off to Israel.

So yeah; I'm still more concerned about the loss of quality rather than how good the ones incoming are.

Which I think is positive really; it's good that we are in the position to have assets that we need to protect and it's good to have some confidence about the quality that is coming in!
  • Interesting that a lot of talk about Joe Gomez going was the fact that we wouldnt see any of the money being put back into the Squad.

Surely the signings of Ba / Bauer / Makienok (Wages) must have taken a bit of a chunk from that, plus we should have the sort of £2.5m that we spent on Vetokele last year
  • edited July 2015

Ben Haim
    Buyens
    Watt
    Bulot

The SL players were little used back-up for a Champions League campaign, Igor bought in by Bob who worked with him previously. Bauer is unknown quantity, the Dane failed in Italy and is unrated by Dutch fans. Lets not forget Pete, Koc, George, Nego and the rest. And Delort.

So the sole success of Roland's scouting network is JBG.
  • It is undeniable that Duchatelet has been very generous with regards to Charlton's financial situation.

I dunno about undeniable so much as mysterious.
  • seth plum said:

It is undeniable that Duchatelet has been very generous with regards to Charlton's financial situation.

I dunno about undeniable so much as mysterious.
    Undisclosed
  • Sponsored links:

• Let's be fair to Duchatelet, after the players from the SL scrapheap in the 13/14 season, the players we got last season from SL were largely excellent.

Ben Haim
    Buyens
    Watt
    Bulot

The SL players were little used back-up for a Champions League campaign, Igor bought in by Bob who worked with him previously. Bauer is unknown quantity, the Dane failed in Italy and is unrated by Dutch fans. Lets not forget Pete, Koc, George, Nego and the rest. And Delort.

So the sole success of Roland's scouting network is JBG.
    Not fair to include Delort here since he didn't sign. 11 appearances and 0 goals for Wigan so let's thank Roland for not bringing him here

Ben Haim
    Buyens
    Watt
    Bulot

So the sole success of Roland's scouting network was Neil Etheridge.
  • I think that JBG will be the real test but I think this is just down to the desires (financially, in the main) of the player himself.

I think as we saw from Gomez, when a player makes his mind up we have to accept that they are on their way. JBG has that year left on his contract. Fingers crossed he sees that year out, but if we get a £2m+ offer for him he'll prob be on his way. Would we get £2m given he has one year to run?

Ben Haim
    Buyens
    Watt
    Bulot

So the sole success of Roland's scouting network was Neil Etheridge.
    The fact is Delort was scouted and recommended by Roland's network resulting in our trying to buy for nearly £3m. And yes he turned out to be not up to Championship standard.
  • Where's this flurry then?
  • Ok the transfer window shuts I believe on the 2nd of September, Roland has done us proud ( I think) so far bringing in some quality signings

Kashi
    Ba
    Sarr
    Cabellos
    Bauer
    Bergdich
    Big Mac

I'm not sure they all turned up in July, but I'm happy with what I've seen so far, will there be further 'quality' signings before the transfer window 'slams' shut?
  • 90% of the job has been done, great work by our scouting team and anyone else involved but i just want us to finish the job this window, by bringing in 2 or 3 more signings to fill out the gaps in the squad by the end of the month.

Hopefully we won't wait until January to assess what we need like last season, get them in now and could make all the difference for our chances at promotion come the end of the season.
  • edited August 2015
    Personally don't think we have much of a chance of making the play offs (which i assume is what everyone wants this season especially given our start) without two more signings of the same sort of calibre as the ones that have already come in.
  • More chance of seeing a flurry of snow this month.
  • More chance of seeing a flurry of snow this month.

Given Luzons comments and the signings made so far I really don't see why you would make that comment.