Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Evocative place names

Cycling at the weekend, I went through a village with the, frankly, preposterous name of 'Nately Scures'. For some reason, I immediately pictured a minor character in the Harry Potter books. As I was lying awake in bed last night (insomnia is a motherfucker) I thought of two other stupid-sounding place names that conjure up images in my mind: 'Barton Stacey' sounds like a gumshoe in a 50s noir thriller and 'Sutton Scotney' sounds like a 70s West Indian fast bowler terrorising De Oliveira, Cowdrey et. al (you can even imagine Michael Holding saying the name)

Anyone else got any contributions to what, I realise, is a pretty bizarre thread...?

Comments

• Old Wives Lees near Canterbury?
  • Pity Me

County Durham.
  • Selhurst Park immediately conjures up unwelcome images of sad twats imagining they somehow look intimidating by dressing in black and waving annoying flags whilst trying desperately to create the kind of European football scenes they've seen on tv.
  • Huish Episcopi

Somerset. Used to have (may still have) a lovely pub.
  • Westward Ho! In North Devon, actually has an exclamation point in the name, sounds like the rallying cry in a civil war book
  • Also badgers mount always makes me think of Wind in the Willows

• Hemingford Grey - surely an Edwardian actor
  • Lickey End somewhere in Shropshire, I think. Needs no explanation.
  • Hole of Horcum in North Yorks.
  • Cycling at the weekend, I went through a village with the, frankly, preposterous name of 'Nately Scures'. For some reason, I immediately pictured a minor character in the Harry Potter books. As I was lying awake in bed last night (insomnia is a motherfucker) I thought of two other stupid-sounding place names that conjure up images in my mind: 'Barton Stacey' sounds like a gumshoe in a 50s noir thriller and 'Sutton Scotney' sounds like a 70s West Indian fast bowler terrorising De Oliveira, Cowdrey et. al (you can even imagine Michael Holding saying the name)

Anyone else got any contributions to what, I realise, is a pretty bizarre thread...?

Bet you rode through Dippenhall just down the road, should have popped in for a cup of tea.
  • Sponsored links:

• Tolleshunt D'Arcy - a Mississippi riverboat gambler
  • Hole of Horcum in North Yorks.

only you....

Boot, Cumbria.
  • I always think that Tower Hamlets sounds like an Olde England village set in the shadow of a Castle somewhere rural (and Hamletey).

• So good they named it twice ....

New York (Lincs)

Green Street Green

• Fashion capital of Essex - Matching Tye
  • LenGlover said:

Huish Episcopi

Somerset. Used to have (may still have) a lovely pub.

Sounds like a surgical instrument, Len.
  • Kettlesing Bottom is a favourite of mine
  • Snodland.

I always imagine it's inhabited by tiny people called 'Snoddles'.
  • Sponsored links:

• Irlam O'The Heights near Manchester. I knew a guy who lived there.
  • IdleHans said:

Lickey End somewhere in Shropshire, I think. Needs no explanation.

I'm sure Bell End is near Lickey End, Shropshire area. Also there's a place near Hull called Fudgepaker or something like that. Where's my map.
  • Charlton Kings always gets a cheer from me.
  • Cockintake in Staffordshire
  • Shingaycum Wendy in Bucks
  • Bevis Marks in Aldgate always sounds like something unpleasant left behind on your underwear
  • Cockintake in Staffordshire

Cockermouth does it for me everytime.
  • I regularly drive through a town in Carmarthenshire called Pentre Morgan. I can't imagine how a place name could sound more Welsh. Always say it aloud in an affected Welsh accent.
  • You cant beat that nice 'Pratts Bottom'
  • two villages just north of Lincoln: Toft Next Newton and Newton By Toft .. a bit like Patrick fits Michael and Michael fits etc. etc. .. there is another place on a small canal in the same area named Brandy Wharf .. a local comedian has expertly changed all the local road signs to Randy Dwarf