Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Roaccutane/Accutane/isotretinoin

Anyone on here recently taken or know anyone that's taken Roaccutane/Accutane/ isotretinoin ? What was is like? As bad as the horror stories of was it alright?

Comments

• I was on Roaccutane years ago, around 2001. I've got mixed feelings about it tbh. Ultimately it cured me of a condition that had really troubled me from my mid-teens onwards. But it was a rocky road to say the least - had an impact on my mental state at the time and my eyesight has never been the same since.

Don't mean to put you off in anyway, as I say, there are pros and cons imo. Pm me if you like and I will go in to a bit more detail.

All the best
  • I was on this in school and like the last post I have mixed feelings. It did the job of getting rid of my acne and prevented me from getting more facial scaring so that's a win.

There were quite a lot of negatives however. Mental state being one as mentioned before, very painful joints, I'd never had a nose bleed in my life before taking these and have had them a fair bit since. The dry lips and face was pretty horrible-in the last month I didn't want to smile just in case they split again.

At the time I was just ecstatic to no long have a face full of spots but it was not a pleasant 4 months by any stretch of the imagination.

It's good you're doing some research as you should be prepared if you are going to go on them. The novel sized book of side effects didn't quite do that for me as well as hearing from people with first hand experience.

Hope it all works out
  • edited August 2015
  • I had it for 3 months in 2003. It ridded me of spots and they have never returned. The dryness wasn't too bad and could be managed with vasaline on the lips. Mentally I was OK too, I felt a little bit down a couple of times which is very unusual for me but nothing more than that. Ultimately it did what I needed it to after I spent a lot of time and a considerable amount of money trying to resolve acne in other ways.
  • Jaybinho said:

I was on Roaccutane years ago, around 2001. I've got mixed feelings about it tbh. Ultimately it cured me of a condition that had really troubled me from my mid-teens onwards. But it was a rocky road to say the least - had an impact on my mental state at the time and my eyesight has never been the same since.

Don't mean to put you off in anyway, as I say, there are pros and cons imo. Pm me if you like and I will go in to a bit more detail.

All the best

Have you got permanent side effects from it then? Heard something about its half life and how it's side effects stop after it leaves your system. Worth it in the end?
  • I was on this in school and like the last post I have mixed feelings. It did the job of getting rid of my acne and prevented me from getting more facial scaring so that's a win.

There were quite a lot of negatives however. Mental state being one as mentioned before, very painful joints, I'd never had a nose bleed in my life before taking these and have had them a fair bit since. The dry lips and face was pretty horrible-in the last month I didn't want to smile just in case they split again.

At the time I was just ecstatic to no long have a face full of spots but it was not a pleasant 4 months by any stretch of the imagination.

It's good you're doing some research as you should be prepared if you are going to go on them. The novel sized book of side effects didn't quite do that for me as well as hearing from people with first hand experience.

Hope it all works out

How does the mental think work exactly? Strange to think a drug can do something like that but are you the same as before mentally? After it left your system you are back to normal ? Thanks for the help
  • Have you got permanent side effects from it then? Heard something about its half life and how it's side effects stop after it leaves your system. Worth it in the end?

I have to wear glasses for driving/watching tv etc so that was a permanent effect (eyesight was fine prior to treatment). My skin is often dry too, but it's difficult to say if that's solely down to taking the medication.

The depression feelings I had went away when I stopped taking Roaccutane, as did most of the side effects. But I have to admit to feeling extremely low at times especially at the start of treatment - a combination of having acne and taking strong medication I would think.

As to whether it was worth it, I'd have to say yes because I never had a problem again and I don't really have any scarring, thankfully.
  • I was on roaccutane in about 2001 - got rid of spots completely and there's a photo of me shortly after taking it and it literally looks like I have completely new skin.

It did cause horrendous dryness (though all the other creams and stuff I had used did the same) - at times I could peel a full layer of skin from my lower lip off - from left to right, and my lips are still always dry to this day so I always use lipsalve or whatever - but it cured me and I had no issues with mental health or depression at all. As for eyesight... I had always been short sighted so can't comment on that
  • Anyone drink Alcohol while on it?
  • Didn't touch alcohol while on it. I was told that would be dangerous (not sure if mental health reasons, liver health reasons or what) - I was 17 at the time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Smart60 said:

I was on this in school and like the last post I have mixed feelings. It did the job of getting rid of my acne and prevented me from getting more facial scaring so that's a win.

Hope it all works out

How does the mental think work exactly? Strange to think a drug can do something like that but are you the same as before mentally? After it left your system you are back to normal ? Thanks for the help
    Felt low for a long time afterwards and have had some problems on and off since. It can cause long term effects in some that it won't with others. For the most part I am fine but think I feel lower than i did prior to this. To best honest though it is honestly hard to say I I took them when I was a teenager and it is hard to compare myself to those heady days of raging hormones!

I would advise against alcohol, the drugs can potentially do enough damage as it is without mixing that in.

If I went back I would probably still take it but be more demanding of doctors to actually help with side effects rather than just chucking more pills about.

• Calls for the drug to stop being prescribed. I've witness the effect Roaccutane can have and it ain't nice.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-47952076