Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

GAA

Come on you Irish Addicks let's talk GAA. Although hurling and handball and camogie pass me by there's football. And the glorious Kerry team.

Who eased past Cork today with a run out for the Gooch and the sainted Paul Galvin! Sam again, maybe.

Ciarrai abu!

Comments

• Go on Fermanagh
  • This picture brings back so many happy memories of summers back in Ireland...

Don't be getting too carried away though @iainment. Can't see Kerry getting away with playing like that much more :wink:
  • Got my war wounds playing as a visitor for kilmallock Co limerick in both hurling and football, nothing better than the sound of slitter hitting the Hurly,

Got a crack across the eyebrow on many an occasion and caught a few fellas back with it myself

• My sisters bloke is from Killmallock. Is that where your family is from?
  • Yeah b

O'Regan is the surname of all the family,

Lived in Orr Street by the old church and the river,

What's his name
  • Blimey. I was in Rath Luric (Charleville) about five or six weeks ago.
  • Curb_It said:

My sisters bloke is from Killmallock. Is that where your family is from?

Blimey. I was in Rath Luric (Charleville) about five or six weeks ago.
  • Got family that live there as well ,( for the paddies on here) used to go shifting at maddonas night club in charleville every Fri night during the six weeks summer holidays.

And I was in a real big accident on the bridge into charleville by the kerry gold factory one eve and learned the lesson of how important seat belts were from that day
  • I don't know that area Seth. My mum is from Tipp so spent my holidays there. And er not so much in Belfast where my dads from.

They are the OFlahertys Nla. 13 of them so your mum might know them from Gort Boy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Take a gander on Twitter gaanostalgia for some great old photos. I'm flying out of London City for the All Ireland hurling semi on 16/08, opposition to be decided. Up Tipp. The Premier County.
  • Curb_It said:

I don't know that area Seth. My mum is from Tipp so spent my holidays there. And er not so much in Belfast where my dads from.

They are the OFlahertys Nla. 13 of them so your mum might know them from Gort Boy.

We have the same heritage B. Mum's from Gortnahoe and Da is the Falls Road. Summers were 3 weeks in Tipp/Belfast...with a few days in Cavan/Monaghan (da's family) then back to Tipp for most other holidays.

He's very happy this afternoon as hi Da's Monaghan beat Donegal for the Ulster title.

Pity any Sligo fans at the moment though...
  • Nla he knows the O"Reagans from Orr St. Jimmy is his name.

Very Similar Tel.

Pelham i think you told me your from Templemore? three Borris boys isn't there in the team? My cousins neighbour Brendan Maher the captain. Nice lad.
  • edited July 2015
    Many of my summers as a child were spent in Charleville, and in Kerry and Limerick. In those days it was a schlepp by bus and tube, luggage and all, from Sydenham to Paddington, then the boat train to Fishguard, an overnight crossing right into Cork City, then a country bus deep into the Cork/Limerick border.
    Always felt like an adventure, but it was a bit like I imagine hoppers felt in the old days going into Kent. We were poor, it was cheap, and it was a holiday. There were very often five or six of us kids sleeping in the same bed, but it was, now I look back, quite sweet and idyllic for a SE London kid.

One of my brothers lives in Ballycasey near Shannon Airport.
  • Loughmore near Templemore Curbs. Brendan Maher and Paddy Stapleton are from Borris. Paddy has been injured recently. Thomas Stapleton and Gearoid Ryan are from nearby Templederry and are also on the panel. Jason Forde is also from over that way from the Silvermines club.
  • My mum is actually from Templederry Pelham. That's where my uncles farm is and lots of my cousins are still. That's where I stay. Great place!
  • seth plum said:

Curb_It said:

My sisters bloke is from Killmallock. Is that where your family is from?

Blimey. I was in Rath Luric (Charleville) about five or six weeks ago.
    As part of my work in North Cork I worked with community groups in Charleville.
  • edited July 2015
    I used to knock about with an o'flaherty , didn't they run a pub on the main high Street?
  • Pelham123 said:

Loughmore near Templemore Curbs. Brendan Maher and Paddy Stapleton are from Borris. Paddy has been injured recently. Thomas Stapleton and Gearoid Ryan are from nearby Templederry and are also on the panel. Jason Forde is also from over that way from the Silvermines club.

Know quite a few Stapletons around Gortnahoe area. All cousins on mum's side (she's a Gleeson). Spent many happy days hitting stones as far as we could with a hurley across gran's farm in Urard and in the grounds of Kilcooley :smiley:
  • Seth you are posh. When a kid I never got the train. I used to be dropped off at Victoria coach station as some distant relation by marriage was going over. Coach up to Fishguard etc..

Dropped my stepdaughter at gatwick the other week to go and stay with my family. Into Shannon. Done and dusted door to door in about 6 hours. Spoiled!
  • Sponsored links:

• We used to yet dropped at Victoria coach station by my mum and dad and the driver used to be given a score to keep an eye on us until my grandad Met us at limerick
  • And the pub was flannagans b not o'flaherty

My mistake
  • For anybody interested, when I first went to China over 20 years ago, if you had a British passport the visa was £48, for an Irish passport it was £4!

Me? Posh?
    You were dropped off, sheesh chauffeur driven doncha know :smile:
  • How old is jimmy b
  • Nla ask your mum if she knew Jimmy. Don't think they ran a pub but will check. He remembers your family name anyway.
  • They never it was flannagans I was thinking of

• I have an old kilmallock book of residents that I am going to Dig out and go through has pics of loads the families from the town,
    His surname rings a real bell with me as I used to knock around with an o'flaherty and we all wrote our names on a hurley that's in my loft ,, when I get home I will get the book and hurl down
  • Nla he's just text to say Mossie Oregan plus two sisters? Any relation?
  • Mossie is my uncle and he has 5 brothers and there is three Sisters but my mum left at 15 so he will mean Bridget and Kathleen ,
  • edited July 2015
    Ok. Will pass this on. How funny. Jimmy looks after our Mickey now and again. Six degrees of separation and all that.

Jimmy left about 30 years ago himself.