Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Southeastern train disruption (franchise to be taken over by Govt p191)

Comments

• Think Network Rail are responsible for scheduling and cancelling trains. South Eastern just do what they are told.

Pretty sure NR are responsible for the tracks and signals and southeastern run the services. Livid there's no trains on the Hastings line that run to Orpington for about 2 hours between 5pm and 7pm. Makes my journey home so much more of a ball ache than it needs to be. Ditto in the morning.
  • Think Network Rail are responsible for scheduling and cancelling trains. South Eastern just do what they are told.

Pretty sure NR are responsible for the tracks and signals and southeastern run the services. Livid there's no trains on the Hastings line that run to Orpington for about 2 hours between 5pm and 7pm. Makes my journey home so much more of a ball ache than it needs to be. Ditto in the morning.
    Yeah national rail own and manage the tracks. Southeastern are the ones who put on trains with only four carriages and cancel trains.

Given how well other operators run services you are within your rights to squarely blame southeastern 99% of the time m. Especially given how much the robbing bastards charge for an appalling service
  • It seems to me that the Cannon Street commuters are getting the shitty end of the stick with this disruption. I use CX and to be fair have had little or no problem getting the 7.49 from New Eltham each morning. However, Mrs MaM has had nothing but nightmares getting to and from Cannon Street.

The Cannon Street services on the Sidcup line IMO have always been poor, with only 3 trains stopping at Lewisham for Docklands commuters between 8 and 9 in the morning.

I feel it should have been reasonable for those who planned this reorganization of the timetable, especially on the Sidcup line, that despite putting 12 carriage trains on, more trains are needed.

I've used the Eltham line a few times recently and they don't appear to be badly affected.

Roll on September when I can put all this behind me, and put my feet up.

• MrLargo said:

Think Network Rail are responsible for scheduling and cancelling trains. South Eastern just do what they are told.

"Hi South Eastern, it's Network Rail here - we've got a few instructions for you to help ensure that things run smoothly:

1. Delay as many trains as possible, chuck in a few cancellations as well.

2. Under no circumstances should platform display boards show accurate information. Trains should be listed as "On Time" until at least 10 minutes after the scheduled departure time has passed.

3. All new platform staff must attend an intensive 6 week Customer Relations Course incorporating the following lectures:
    - Shrugging
    - Looking confused
    - Pretending not to hear
    - Hiding
    - Talking down to people
    - Blaming other people

4. Once on board the train, please keep useful information to a minimum. This should be quite straightforward, as most of the intercom systems are broken. However, in the unlikely event that the intercom system is working, train drivers should place a sock over the microphone prior to addressing passengers.

5. Onboard destination display boards and automatic announcements should always be programmed to be totally inaccurate. For example, when approaching New Cross Station, the automatic announcement should state that "the next station is Canterbury West". This is particularly important during the summer, when foreign tourists are likely to be travelling by train.

6. Trains should not be subject to any form of internal cleaning. The stench of vomit, stale food and general despair plays a vital role in masking the reek of shit and piss emitting from the khazis.

7. Onboard heating should be turned off during Winter, and turned up to maximum during Summer.

etc, etc, etc.
    Brilliant - I can't get over one man's hate or disdain for South Eastern. Keep it coming Larg
  • It seems to me that the Cannon Street commuters are getting the shitty end of the stick with this disruption. I use CX and to be fair have had little or no problem getting the 7.49 from New Eltham each morning. However, Mrs MaM has had nothing but nightmares getting to and from Cannon Street.

The Cannon Street services on the Sidcup line IMO have always been poor, with only 3 trains stopping at Lewisham for Docklands commuters between 8 and 9 in the morning.

I feel it should have been reasonable for those who planned this reorganization of the timetable, especially on the Sidcup line, that despite putting 12 carriage trains on, more trains are needed.

I've used the Eltham line a few times recently and they don't appear to be badly affected.

Are you retiring m_a_m? I guess now the bridge at New Eltham station is back, your work is done! :smile:
  • MrLargo said:

Think Network Rail are responsible for scheduling and cancelling trains. South Eastern just do what they are told.

"Hi South Eastern, it's Network Rail here - we've got a few instructions for you to help ensure that things run smoothly:

2. Under no circumstances should platform display boards show accurate information. Trains should be listed as "On Time" until at least 10 minutes after the scheduled departure time has passed.

3. All new platform staff must attend an intensive 6 week Customer Relations Course incorporating the following lectures:
    - Shrugging
    - Looking confused
    - Pretending not to hear
    - Hiding
    - Talking down to people
    - Blaming other people

4. Once on board the train, please keep useful information to a minimum. This should be quite straightforward, as most of the intercom systems are broken. However, in the unlikely event that the intercom system is working, train drivers should place a sock over the microphone prior to addressing passengers.

5. Onboard destination display boards and automatic announcements should always be programmed to be totally inaccurate. For example, when approaching New Cross Station, the automatic announcement should state that "the next station is Canterbury West". This is particularly important during the summer, when foreign tourists are likely to be travelling by train.

6. Trains should not be subject to any form of internal cleaning. The stench of vomit, stale food and general despair plays a vital role in masking the reek of shit and piss emitting from the khazis.

7. Onboard heating should be turned off during Winter, and turned up to maximum during Summer.

etc, etc, etc.
    worryingly accurate!

I agree. On the Bexleyheath line there are 3 trains an hour to Victoria, 3 to Cannon St and 6 to Charing Cross. Ever since the London Bridge works commenced the Charing Cross trains have been coming in half empty whereas the Cannon St trains are packed to the luggage racks. Yet they still run the same number of trains on each line.

To make matters worse, some of the Charing X trains are semi-fast whereas all Cannon St trains call at all stations (including St Johns).

At the very least they should have changed the timetable so that the Charing X trains pick up some of the slack. Even having all Charing X trains stop at Lewisham would help, so that anyone wanting the DLR could get on those rather than cramming into the already overcrowded Cannon St trains.

• ^this all day long
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2015

It seems to me that the Cannon Street commuters are getting the shitty end of the stick with this disruption. I use CX and to be fair have had little or no problem getting the 7.49 from New Eltham each morning. However, Mrs MaM has had nothing but nightmares getting to and from Cannon Street.

Are you retiring m_a_m? I guess now the bridge at New Eltham station is back, your work is done! :smile:
    Yes, fortunately. Before the onset of the Cannon Street mob moving back on the CX trains :-)

While the bridge at New Eltham is now restored, you may have noticed that the viaduct just by Millwall's ground has gone missing. I don't think I'll be taking this one up tho'.

Looking forward to the completion of the 'dive under'.

Choo choo.
  • MrLargo said:

- Shrugging
    - Looking confused
    - Pretending not to hear
    - Hiding
    - Talking down to people
    - Blaming other people

etc, etc, etc.
    lets not forget this one

8. In order to create as much anger as possible, display that the train is delayed then cancel it at the last possible minute. (This works well in tandem with number 1)

Not sure this is entirely accurate. If the rails are broken, then Network Rail will tell Southeastern not to run trains.

If a couple of drivers throw a sickie, that's got to be Southeastern's decision to run or not to run trains.
  • cafc999 said:

MrLargo said:

- Shrugging
    - Looking confused
    - Pretending not to hear
    - Hiding
    - Talking down to people
    - Blaming other people

etc, etc, etc.
    lets not forget this one

8. In order to create as much anger as possible, display that the train is delayed then cancel it at the last possible minute. (This works well in tandem with number 1)
    9. Consecutive daily cancellations. If the 7.42am from Westcombe Park is cancelled, such cancellation cannot exist in isolation
  • cafc999 said:

MrLargo said:

- Shrugging
    - Looking confused
    - Pretending not to hear
    - Hiding
    - Talking down to people
    - Blaming other people

etc, etc, etc.
    lets not forget this one

Yep. Works best if you spend half an hour repeatedly reassuring people that the train is definitely on its way, nearly here, etc, THEN cancel it.
  • You could always chuck this one in for a bit of fun....and this did actually happen a few weeks ago at London Bridge during some delays.

Announce that the much delayed (insert destination) train is leaving from platform 4..watch as people race over to platform 4 then announce that this is an error as platform 4 is closed,tell them to go back to platforms 1 & 2 as the train is pulling out.

Then hide.

• edited July 2015

You could always chuck this one in for a bit of fun....and this did actually happen a few weeks ago at London Bridge during some delays.

Announce that the much delayed (insert destination) train is leaving from platform 4..watch as people race over to platform 4 then announce that this is an error as platform 4 is closed,tell them to go back to platforms 1 & 2 as the train is pulling out.

Then hide.

You could make this number 9.

9. At no time let the signallers communicate with the platform staff.

(This could run)
  • I'm going to take a slight detour here (like a Sidcup train being diverted down the Bexleyheath line!)

My commute home takes me to Lewisham and then on to Petts Wood.

The below is now common place at Lewisham from 5pm onwards...

Yes, thats 3 South Eastern staff wearing hi-vis, taking turns to read the information off the electronic timetable board, instructing people to allow people off the train first before getting on and to stay behind the yellow line...and a manager looking on.

Every night, I stand there waiting 12-13 minutes for a train and get more and more wound up just looking at them and listening to their pointless announcements.

God knows how much they are being paid...and I dread to think how much their new wireless tannoys have cost. I dont think I've ever seen such a waste of money (excluding the likes of Rebrov and Soldado of course!)

And yes, I was sad enough to take a photo.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

I'm going to take a slight detour here (like a Sidcup train being diverted down the Bexleyheath line!)

Yes, thats 3 South Eastern staff wearing hi-vis, taking turns to read the information off the electronic timetable board, instructing people to allow people off the train first before getting on and to stay behind the yellow line...and a manager looking on.

Every night, I stand there waiting 12-13 minutes for a train and get more and more wound up just looking at them and listening to their pointless announcements.

God knows how much they are being paid...and I dread to think how much their new wireless tannoys have cost. I dont think I've ever seen such a waste of money (excluding the likes of Rebrov and Soldado of course!)

The old Citibank tower there to the top right hand corner. Who would've thought Citibank would once want to be based in Lewisham
  • edited July 2015
    JohnBoyUK said:

I'm going to take a slight detour here (like a Sidcup train being diverted down the Bexleyheath line!)

Considering what's been on show this week due to the weather, that's a poor effort of a photo mate. Potential from the blond with her back to you but nothing to really go on.
  • Sponsored links:

• To be fair, that photo was from 2 weeks ago! The eye candy has been looking miles better over the last couple of days!
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Considering what's been on show this week due to the weather, that's a poor effort of a photo mate. Potential from the blond with her back to you but nothing to really go on.
    I am going to make a snap judgement here... yeh i'd smash it!
  • JohnBoyUK said:

• edited July 2015
    I remember one member of staff at Cannon Street visibly laughing, and making a sarcastic comment after passengers were misdirected to the wrong train, I mentioned to him I didn't think it funny and he stopped for a moment only to carry on as soon as he thought I was out of earshot. That they employ even one person as stupid as that says an awful lot to me.
  • Soapy, at your age the only thing you could realistically 'smash' is your hip bone...

Too true AFKA. I have lowered the tone again, sorry. Anyone would think we were on a football supporters forum...
  • razil said:

I remember one member of staff at Cannon Street visibly laughing, and making a sarcastic comment after passengers were misdirected to the wrong train, I mentioned to him I didn't think it funny and he stopped for a moment only to carry on as soon as he thought I was out of earshot. That they employ even one person as stupid as that says an awful lot to me.

Yep, says it all

What pond do you think they are fishing in though?
  • JohnBoyUK said:

The guy who looks like Keith from the office?
  • You could always chuck this one in for a bit of fun....and this did actually happen a few weeks ago at London Bridge during some delays.

Then hide.

You could make this number 9.

9. At no time let the signallers communicate with the platform staff.

(This could run)
    10. Hire previous members of the Gestapo to act as revenue inspectors. Rather than target yoofs who will obviously bunk the train at the weekend instruct said revenue inspectors to target unsuspecting rush hour commuters who have made the beyond evil mistake of leaving their annual gold card (valued at around £3k) at home. Ensure that they view the scum of the earth commuters with disdain whilst making them grovel to try and get off paying the penalty fare (or twice the single fare...whatever is the greater).