Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ireland v England - Sunday

This game (and next weekends qualifier in Slovenia) seem to have fallen under the radar somewhat.

Any addicks heading over to Dublin? We're out Sat back Mon.

First time in Dublin for me - the general concensus seems to be that its bloody expensive, so does anyone have any particular drinking and eating recommendations to avoid this, or any other gems to recommend?

The obvious one I'm aware of is avoid Temple bar unless you want to pay through the nose and be surrounded by tourists.

Any advice appreciated and lets hope the game last longer that 20mins this time!!

Comments

• I didn't even know these games were on.
  • edited June 2015
    Temple Bar is probably about £5 a pint minimum, (went a few years ago).
    But it's still a must do IMO, even if only for a few hours.
    So many pubs, some with Irish musicians, stag "do's" etc along there. A great night.
    You can always start or end there.

Guinness brewery was good.

Expense, is like someone said to me about Barcelona. You can spend as much or as little as you want.
  • Just spent a month in Dublin with work. It is very expensive pretty much everywhere you go.

Just make sure you out sing them and let them know about it when we win. Cheers
  • http://thecelt.ie/

Brilliant bar, fantastic atmosphere, very friendly - and the Guinness is to die for. Just off O'Connell Street.
  • I've been to Dublin several times for various reasons, not much to write home about. Not much there at all in comparison to many other European cities.
  • This game (and next weekends qualifier in Slovenia) seem to have fallen under the radar somewhat.

First time in Dublin for me - the general concensus seems to be that its bloody expensive, so does anyone have any particular drinking and eating recommendations to avoid this, or any other gems to recommend?

The obvious one I'm aware of is avoid Temple bar unless you want to pay through the nose and be surrounded by tourists.

Any advice appreciated and lets hope the game last longer that 20mins this time!!

Is this the first time we've played them since that infamous game?
  • Been a few years since I was over but always stop in McDaids for a great pint of Guinness (just off Grafton Street).

The Hairy Lemon is a decent bar for a bit of food. Good beer and a bit quirky. Away from Temple Bar too. Whelans (Wexford St) is a music bar and has some good local and international bands on (worth checking who is on).

In all honesty, depends on what you're looking for and age group. Bars aplenty and I have always veered towards the smaller traditional pubs for a good pint. Temple Bar has its' place and is OK in small doses but it's an expensive city wherever you go.

Do me a favour and leave a few pints though. I'm likely to be heading over for our game against the Jocks next week!
  • love the place been loads as my mrs is irish, so always back seeing her family etc, was over for new years, agree with others temple bar is packed and v expensive around 8euro a pint in the actual temple bar but there is live music and they don't charge a cover charge to it gets v livlely usually with pissed up americans, I prefer the more traditional pubs but for the champs league Saturday I would head to sinnots its on South King Street, doesn't look much from upstairs but huge once you get downstairs plenty of tellys and a huge projector, enjoy.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm in Dublin about once a month for work and never go near Temple Bar area

The bars on Baggott St are good. O'Donohues, kehoes, the baggott inn and cafe en seine is good for a later drink

Really hope our fans don't play up this time but I expect there will be trouble in town on the Saturday night especially as I would expect a lot lot more than 3000 to go over there

Had tickets for this in the Ireland end but it's my boys birthday today so will watch it on the box
  • love the place been loads as my mrs is irish, so always back seeing her family etc, was over for new years, agree with others temple bar is packed and v expensive around 8euro a pint in the actual temple bar but there is live music and they don't charge a cover charge to it gets v livlely usually with pissed up americans, I prefer the more traditional pubs but for the champs league Saturday I would head to sinnots its on South King Street, doesn't look much from upstairs but huge once you get downstairs plenty of tellys and a huge projector, enjoy.

Forgot about Sinnotts. Great place, huge downstairs and again a great music/sports venue too. Seen some good bands in there :smile:
  • Just a day trip for me, had to blow out my Saturday flight due to a commitment at my boy's football club, so early flight Sunday and back after the game
  • I think the best Guinness in Dublin is at the Stag's Head Pub, just off Dame Street (across the road from Temple Bar and through a small passageway)

For the genuine Irish club experience, it's probably still Copper Face Jacks on Harcourt Street. Packed with country nurses
  • Flying out tomorrow morning.

This game (and next weekends qualifier in Slovenia) seem to have fallen under the radar somewhat.

I am out there. Flying out from Nottingham tomorrow morning. Heading to jury inn about 1ish to get ticket.
  • Stay away from Temple Bar. Full of tourists.

We did end up in CopperFace Jacks most nights in March. Great crack and stays open all night
  • McDaids, Sinnotts and Baggot Inn.
  • I feel like I should help here, I live in Dublin.

If you want a cheap night out you should go to Not-Dublin, I hear it's lovely this time of year.
    If you want to be sexually assaulted by an off-duty cop, enjoy your night in Copper Faced Jacks.
    Dublin's a good little spot for craft beer if you are into that; Porterhouse (Grafton Street), Against the Grain (Wexford Street) or The Black Sheep (Capel Street).
    If you are the type to wear a suit and pointy shoes on a night out take you Gold Mastercard to Dawson Street.
    Clubs? find one near where you are staying... there are dozens of night clubs playing CDs with flashing lights and unhygienic toilets, but there will be no taxis when they close so do yourself a favour and stay local.
    If you are staying in a hotel, the residents bar will be open all-night so there is also that.

Other than that, please don't destroy our stadium, we haven't paid for it yet.

• Other than that, please don't destroy our stadium, we haven't paid for it yet.

No, but FIFA have...
    As if any of that money was spent on the stadium. Why do you think John Delaney is always smiling? It's not just because of his blonde girl friend.
  • Sponsored links:

• redsek said:

Other than that, please don't destroy our stadium, we haven't paid for it yet.

No, but FIFA have...
    As if any of that money was spent on the stadium. Why do you think John Delaney is always smiling? It got him his blonde girl friend.
    :wink:
  • More importantly, what are your chances of watching the Champions League final?
  • VAT is 23%.
  • When I went (admittedly a few years back now) Slattery's bar on Capel St. was the best for food and welcome that we found by quite a long way.

http://www.slatterysbarcapelstreet.com/Gallery.html
  • Sir James Galway being introduced to the players before he plays Danny Boy on the recorder so I understand.......
  • That's just after Tony Cascarino and John Aldridge perform a jig with Andy Townsend on flute, learnt from their time together at school in Connemara
  • My recommendation would be to take the dart and head down to Bray for beers. Nice bars, nice people, cheaper beer ...
  • ads said:

That's just after Tony Cascarino and John Aldridge perform a jig with Andy Townsend on flute, learnt from their time together at school in Connemara

Closely followed by Terry Butcher, John Barnes & Raheem Sterling doing a bit of Morris Dancing!!

Just for a bit of balance ads!! :wink:
  • edited June 2015

me neither but then I'd rather go round my wife's sisters (if she had one) than watch England

Of course you could just not switch your TV to the channel that England are playing on.
  • TelMc32 said:

ads said:

That's just after Tony Cascarino and John Aldridge perform a jig with Andy Townsend on flute, learnt from their time together at school in Connemara

Closely followed by Terry Butcher, John Barnes & Raheem Sterling doing a bit of Morris Dancing!!

Just for a bit of balance ads!! :wink:
    Jody Morris only got an u21 cap.