Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Secret Cinema

I'd never heard of it until a few months and as they are gearing up to a much bigger project this year they seem to have chosen a film that would appeal to a massive audience and taken it from a 'secret society' to mass marketing.

Last year was Back to the Future which, by all accounts, had some issues due to the size of the project but this year with the Empire Strikes Back it looks like it is going to be very popular, in terms of numbers, despite the price of £80 for a ticket.

Has anyone been to one if these in the past and is anyone planning on going this summer, or has anyone been yet?

Comments

• Eighty quid? Seriously?
  • Well, not exactly - I was rounding. The tickets are £78 for adults and £52 for children but there is a £2.50 booking fee per transaction, not per ticket, so for two adults it would work out at £79.25 each.

• There will be more than just screening a film, based on previous ones.
  • Been to a couple of their productions and have a ticket for Empire Strikes back this year too. Shawshank was really very, very good. I describe it as a total immersive experience where the cinematic world is recreated around you. Dressing up is highly advised to keep up the illusion. Word is that the latest one will totally justify the admittedly high entry price. They have even set up a recreation of the Cantina somewhere in London which is open to the public (but you need to pay entry). the whole enterprise must be raking it in! End of the day you are nuts or nutty enough about the film to pay the price.
  • I went to the Back To The Future One, biggest load of shit I've ever been too. Complete rip off.
  • £80 ? i wan't a ride on the Millennium Falcon for that.

I'd want a piggy-back on a wookie for that.
  • I'd want more than a piggy back!
  • Sponsored links:

• What is it?
  • I don't get Secret Cinema. I guess it's an imagination thing but it doesn't work for me at all. I'd be interested if the production was done with the input of the filmmakers, offering behind the scenes stuff, props, a Q&A with the cast and crew, stuff like that. But local actors dressing up and some cheap imitation sets....I'd even be more interested in going to a cinema made up to look like 1980 and enjoying a fake version of the movie's original release.
  • Eighty quid? Oh well if people are daft enough............
  • I got invited to the preview on Tuesday, was good, quite a lot happens before the film starts so it's a full evening.

Depends what you expect for £80 I guess.
  • I went last night and it was amazing.
  • My wife went to The Lost Boys one. She said it was awful, really cramped and couldn't get any drinks as the queues for the were ridiculous, as was the loo situation. Said it was one of the most poorly organised events she had ever been to.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

I don't get Secret Cinema. I guess it's an imagination thing but it doesn't work for me at all. I'd be interested if the production was done with the input of the filmmakers, offering behind the scenes stuff, props, a Q&A with the cast and crew, stuff like that. But local actors dressing up and some cheap imitation sets....I'd even be more interested in going to a cinema made up to look like 1980 and enjoying a fake version of the movie's original release.

Exactly. Just a weird crowd. I think they're known as hipsters!
  • edited August 2018
    Anyone going to Romeo + Juliet Secret Cinema this August?
  • Anyone going to Romeo + Juliet Secret Cinema this August?

It's Secret Cinema, Suzi ...... nobody's going to tell you. :smile:

• Sponsored links:

• What do you get for your money at these things?
  • edited August 2018
    I've got a pair of tickets for this Sunday 12th that I'm reluctantly selling, face value of £134 for the pair but prepared to sell for less to a fellow Addick!

If anyone is interested please let me know.
  • I've got a pair of tickets for this Sunday 12th that I'm reluctantly selling, face value if £134 for the pair but prepared to sell for less to a fellow Addick!

If anyone is interested please let me know.

You could have spent that on a season ticket!
  • MrOneLung said:

What do you get for your money at these things?

Not sure as never been before and got bought my tickets as a birthday present, but v impressed with the set up so far with regards to the prep you have to do.

Apparently I was arrested for brawling on 24th June 1996. I'm a Capulat Cobra but my husband signed up and he's pledged his allegience to Montague Vipers so i wondered if anyone had gone in a pair and got split up as then I probably wont enjoy as much!
  • All sounds a bit grown ups playing at dressing up to me.
  • Going to Dirty Dancing today at Gunnersbury Park (meet at Acton Town tube). I'm going with the wife, sister in law and two nieces and one of there mates. Never been to one before so not to sure what to expect....wish me luck. 
  • buckshee said:
    All sounds a bit grown ups playing at dressing up to me.
    Yes I think it is, I've got a Kellermans t-shirt but that's about it.