Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Crossrail

Apparently they have finished 26 miles of tunnelling under London after three years of work.
Still a lot of work to be done on fitting out stations etc.

Comments

• As usual my other pet blog site. Some good photos if you flick back through the thread below...

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=236257&page=284
  • It is an amazing project.
  • I just went back to page one on that link SJ - it's a wonder some of them can type with chips that big on their shoulders...
  • It's a great site but some of the regulars are so far up their own arses it's hilarious... hold on!
  • What they saying... I haven't got time to read all 284 pages!!
  • The route must have been planned by a taxi driver.
  • Username/thread interface
  • Just one question

Why Abbey Wood?

Why not Dartford? So it would connect with three lines, as opposed to one....
  • Just one question

Why Abbey Wood?

I thought that. I don't think it will help the majority of people in south east London/ North West Kent.
  • ChiAddick said:

Just one question

Why Abbey Wood?

I thought that. I don't think it will help the majority of people in south east London/ North West Kent.
    Might be because Dartford is not in London, and therefore, not part of TFL, who I assume are running the show.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2015
    Blinkant said:

ChiAddick said:

Just one question

Why Abbey Wood?

Might be because Dartford is not in London, and therefore, not part of TFL, who I assume are running the show.
    Neither is Reading, Maidenhead, Heathrow or Brentwood. Its a Shame and a missed opportunity. Abbey wood is the end of the line in zone 4. The other ends of the lines are right outside London. We always seem to lose out in the south east when it come s to transport.
  • ChiAddick said:

Blinkant said:

ChiAddick said:

Just one question

Why Abbey Wood?

Neither is Reading, Maidenhead, Heathrow or Brentwood.
    Dont know then.... I always thought it was weird that Dartford doesnt accept oyster cards as well
  • ChiAddick said:

Just one question

Why Abbey Wood?

Didn't boris cancel having the tram line going accross South East London in favour of cross rail? Doubt they give a monkeys about South East London and Kent. No bankers live there
  • The Canary Wharf station is already open (not the platforms though).

It's very posh, lots of poncey shops, a cinema and a very nice roof garden.

Worth a visit if you're in or around E14.
  • Did the tour of the Canary Wharf station with clients, for a charity event in April before the shops opened. Interesting stuff, although obviously not a lot to see at concourse or platform level yet. Will run up to 24 trains an hour, 12 carriages long, through there.

As for "why stop at Abbey Wood", I suppose it'll be a bit like Woolwich Arsenal now where loads of people get off the London bound trains to switch to the DLR. Frees up space on the trains to London Bridge/Cannon St/Charing X. Also allows plenty of options to get to various parts of London now rather than just the southern most main stations.
  • Just one question

Why Abbey Wood?

I work for MTR Crossrail, the firm which run the trains, and I asked the same question. The answer is that running through the central section is to a very tight timetable, so its important that trains arrive from the branches on time. It was thought that the risk of trains being delayed on Network Rail's unreliable infrastructure on the North Kent Line was to great to countenance. Any future extension east of Abbey Wood depends on new dedicated track being built.

At least the good people of Dartford and Gravesend etc will have an easy interchange at Abbey Wood, from where Crossrail trains will depart every 5 mins in the peak period.
  • Blinkant said:

ChiAddick said:

Blinkant said:

ChiAddick said:

Just one question

Why Abbey Wood?

Dont know then.... I always thought it was weird that Dartford doesnt accept oyster cards as well
    Oyster PAYG is coming to Dartford sooner than you think
  • I worked on the Plumstead to North Woolwich part of the project for 7 months

Incredible work they are doing.
  • Maybe crossrail should be extended right through to reach the new Paramount Park in Northfleet. Direct links right through London!
  • Just one question

Why Abbey Wood?

I work for MTR Crossrail, the firm which run the trains, and I asked the same question. The answer is that running through the central section is to a very tight timetable, so its important that trains arrive from the branches on time. It was thought that the risk of trains being delayed on Network Rail's unreliable infrastructure on the North Kent Line was to great to countenance. Any future extension east of Abbey Wood depends on new dedicated track being built.

At least the good people of Dartford and Gravesend etc will have an easy interchange at Abbey Wood, from where Crossrail trains will depart every 5 mins in the peak period.
    Thanks for the answer.

I suppose none of us who use those lines will be remotely surprised, but it's not very encouraging.

And will Crossrail be part of the Oyster network? It may seem a silly question, but, you know, Heathrow Express....
  • Sponsored links:

• Just one question

Why Abbey Wood?

Crossrail is meant to self contained rather than sharing tracks with South Eastern (so that every South Eastern cock up screws up Crossrail as well), thus it terminates at Abbey Wood. It also operates on overhead power instead of 3rd rail
  • Is there much work going on at Abbey Wood station in readiness for Crossrail (never thought there was much room around that station to expand?)
  • DanDavis said:

Is there much work going on at Abbey Wood station in readiness for Crossrail (never thought there was much room around that station to expand?)

http://www.crossrail.co.uk/news/articles/former-abbey-wood-station-demolished
  • DanDavis said:

Is there much work going on at Abbey Wood station in readiness for Crossrail (never thought there was much room around that station to expand?)

http://www.crossrail.co.uk/news/articles/former-abbey-wood-station-demolished
    Oh wow, thanks for sharing.

• Just one question

Why Abbey Wood?

Thanks for the answer.

I suppose none of us who use those lines will be remotely surprised, but it's not very encouraging.

And will Crossrail be part of the Oyster network? It may seem a silly question, but, you know, Heathrow Express....
    Most definitely yes, including Heathrow. The Crossrail service will replace the existing Heathrow Connect.
  • ChiAddick said:

Just one question

Why Abbey Wood?

South East London dont exist according to TFL
  • Blinkant said:

ChiAddick said:

Blinkant said:

ChiAddick said:

Just one question

Why Abbey Wood?

When is this going to happen?
  • Blinkant said:

ChiAddick said:

Blinkant said:

ChiAddick said:

Just one question

Why Abbey Wood?

December 2016

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/11475754.Commuter_joy_with_Oyster_card_set_to_come_to_Dartford_and_Swanley/
  • Blinkant said:

ChiAddick said:

Blinkant said:

ChiAddick said:

Just one question

Why Abbey Wood?

I'm hearing September
  • ChiAddick said:

Just one question

Why Abbey Wood?

South East London dont exist according to TFL
    This, exactly this, we don't even get poxy Boris Bikes....