Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Something has to be done NOW

another young player in Belgium has had a cardiac arrest on the pitch

Tim Nicot is a 23 year old defender and is currently fighting for his life

something needs to be done about this now, it is starting to become far to common

Comments

• What do you suggest paulie ?

surely things like this can be picked up, once a month every single footballer should have a check up, It might cost a lot but surely the players health is most important

I would suggest that a great place to start is for anyone interested in, or managing, sport for youngsters, should learn about CRY.

http://www.c-r-y.org.uk/cardiac-screening/

surely things like this can be picked up, once a month every single footballer should have a check up, It might cost a lot but surely the players health is most important

How do you know they are not doing this..??
  • cafc999 said:

What do you suggest paulie ?

How do you know they are not doing this..??
    well if they are it needs to be done every week

it is becoming to common that young fit men are having heart attacks, something is clearly not right
  • A rugby player died last week as well from a cardiac arrest.

Heart screenings should be make compulsory in sport.

I'm 99.9% certain that a heart screening will be done during a medical that a player undertakes before they sign.

Doing a screening every week would be unworkable because if someone else did die then people like paulie would ask for one every day, then every hour, very minute and so on.

I personally think it may be linked to all the 'health supplements' coupled with how much and how intense players train.

I don't disagree with that. But the question is, who pays? Do you make it compulsory for *all* players of *all* sports? Isn't it already hard enough getting kids to play sport, without adding these further restrictions? How would this type of compulsion impact amateur sports clubs; or the cubs/brownies; church fetes which have a tug-o-war; etc, etc...?

If you have two or three children who want to play sport, but cannot afford to have them all screened, what do you do?

In my view, the type of screening that CRY offers is brilliant. They do a magnificent job. I would like to see it rolled out as a comprehensive service to school children. So, instead of imposing the burden on sports clubs and societies, it should be rolled out as a regular (monthly? once-a term? one-a-year?) service at all state schools, run as a partnership between the NHS and the education authorities.
  • cafc999 said:

A rugby player died last week as well from a cardiac arrest.

I'm 99.9% certain that a heart screening will be done during a medical that a player undertakes before they sign.

Doing a screening every week would be unworkable because if someone else did die then people like paulie would ask for one every day, then every hour, very minute and so on.

I personally think it may be linked to all the 'health supplements' coupled with how much and how intense players train.
    He actually had a heart problem that caused the cardiac arrest, that was never picked up. Screening may be done when someone signs for a new club etc, but in my opinion everyone should undertake a heart screening at the start of each season.
  • I think before calling for remedies you need to find out the cause. My recollection of the Bolton player (mamba?) is that he had regular checks and the "problem" would not be picked up by checks. What is needed is results from the ongoing research.
  • Sponsored links:

• cafc999 said:

He actually had a heart problem that caused the cardiac arrest, that was never picked up. Screening may be done when someone signs for a new club etc, but in my opinion everyone should undertake a heart screening at the start of each season.
    I agree and I also believe that a lot of clubs do this at the start of each season. Whether this is enough, who knows..??

As Kap10 say's, we should look for the cause of the problem. Without knowing the problem, we cannot cure it.
  • Chizz said:

I don't disagree with that. But the question is, who pays? Do you make it compulsory for *all* players of *all* sports? Isn't it already hard enough getting kids to play sport, without adding these further restrictions? How would this type of compulsion impact amateur sports clubs; or the cubs/brownies; church fetes which have a tug-o-war; etc, etc...?

If you have two or three children who want to play sport, but cannot afford to have them all screened, what do you do?

In my view, the type of screening that CRY offers is brilliant. They do a magnificent job. I would like to see it rolled out as a comprehensive service to school children. So, instead of imposing the burden on sports clubs and societies, it should be rolled out as a regular (monthly? once-a term? one-a-year?) service at all state schools, run as a partnership between the NHS and the education authorities.
    Agree

My son had a CRY check at school.

It was a relief for him as a friend (Ben Daniels) had died of a undetected heart condition.
  • Chizz said:

Agree

It was a relief for him as a friend (Ben Daniels) had died of a undetected heart condition.
    I knew Ben well. That's why I always give a shout-out to CRY when I can.
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Agree

I knew Ben well. That's why I always give a shout-out to CRY when I can.
    We know his parents via primary school Ben and my son went to so ditto.
  • @Henry Irving Ben would have been 21 today