Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

29 April 1975 - 40 years ago

Seeing the scenes at Bournemouth tonight reminds me that 40 years ago, it was us. My first experience of glory following Charlton. We came from behind to beat Bobby Charlton's Preston 3-1 in front of a 24,000 crowd. The big difference is that our promotion was to the old Division 2. Bournemouth's is to the Promised Land of the Premiership. Where did those 40 years go? image

Comments

• Where did it go indeed.
    What a night for a 10 year old Charlton fanatic.
  • Fantastic night!
  • One of the best days of my life. I was 13.
    I can still "smell the grass" as I ran on the pitch at the end.
    I just love a joyous pitch invasion.
  • And we missed a penalty!
  • that was such a great night ... one of my favourite ever, supporting Charlton
  • Day before my 14th birthday. Went the next night to the Evening Standard London 5-A-Side tournament at Wembley (Empire Pool in those days) which we won. Best birthday ever
  • I was 11 and was there with my dad and his mates.
    What a great game. I loved it and thats when I really fell in love with CAFC.
    We ran on the pitch (not my dad he was too pissed) grabbed some grass as a souvenir and sang till we went hoarse.
    Probably my favourite Addick memory.......Happy Days.
  • Yes brilliant night. i was 15. Killer!

Young Lawrenson in opposition.

I believe that was the last pitch invasion at the Valley. Even two championships couldn't entice the modern addick on to the pitch : )
  • Where did it go indeed.
    What a night for a 10 year old Charlton fanatic.

I was nine...trod on a sharp nail a couple of days before the game and had to limp to get to the game but wild horses wouldn't of kept me away.
  • stonemuse said:

that was such a great night ... one of my favourite ever, supporting Charlton

same here and as Covered end says the smell of the grass for some reason.
  • Sponsored links:

• Truly amazing night as a 17 year old standing at the bottom of the East Terrace next to the Covered End.

40 years? Jesus wept!!!
  • bobmunro said:

Truly amazing night as a 17 year old standing at the bottom of the East Terrace next to the Covered End.

40 years? Jesus wept!!!

The Covered End was great that night ... such a terrific memory
  • stonemuse said:

bobmunro said:

Truly amazing night as a 17 year old standing at the bottom of the East Terrace next to the Covered End.

40 years? Jesus wept!!!

I'm afraid the young oiks of the upper north will never know what a packed Covered end was like.
  • Was that really 40 years ago? I was only 9 at the time and was stood on the East terrace with my Dad, Grandad, Uncles and 2 cousins. Remember the celebrations after the final whistle like it was only yesterday.

• stonemuse said:

bobmunro said:

40 years? Jesus wept!!!

I'm afraid the young oiks of the upper north will never know what a packed Covered end was like.
    very true mate ... pity really
  • kentred2 said:

Yes brilliant night. i was 15. Killer!

I believe that was the last pitch invasion at the Valley. Even two championships couldn't entice the modern addick on to the pitch : )

Last game at The Valley in 85 was a bit crowded on the pitch.

I was 8 for this game and a bit of a veteran even then...one of the great nights early in my Charlton supporting career that just cemented the love of all things Addick!!

:smile:
  • edited April 2015
    Was 14 at the time and took up my usual position on the red railings behind the CE goal. My sister had a massive home made red & white scarf and I vividly remember her crying into it for ages after Curtis failed to equalise from the penalty spot right in front of us.

Was Goldthorpe's header over the line (anyone up that end )? I met a guy years later who said it was, but never really sure, but hey who cares:)

Made it on the pitch at the end and also remember the smell of grass. Did the same when we beat Palace 1-0 at end of January 1975, but fell over and my blue flared turn up trousers were severely mudded as it was a real bog of a pitch at the time.

Anyone get served afterwards in the Watermans Arms by Bob Curtis? Story went he went straight down the pub in his kit and served all night. Certainly in the bath photo of the promoted team, he was the only player not in it. A true legend if true.
  • Was 14 at the time and took up my usual position on the red railings behind the CE goal. My sister had a massive home made red & white scarf and I vividly remember her crying into it for ages after Curtis failed to equalise from the penalty spot right in front of us.

Was Goldthorpe's header over the line (anyone up that end )? I met a guy years later who said it was, but never really sure, but hey who cares:)

Made it on the pitch at the end and also remember the smell of grass. Did the same when we beat Palace 1-0 at end of January 1975, but fell over and my blue flared turn up trousers were severely mudded as it was a real bog of a pitch at the time.

Anyne get served afterwards in the Watermans Arms by Bob Curtis? Story went he went straight down the pub in his kit and served all night. Certainly in the bath photo of the promoted team, he was the only player not in it. A true legend if true.

I must have been standing very close to you. There was a copper standing infront at the final whistle.
    I said are we allowed to run on ? He said no, but I jumped the railings and just avoided his grasp :smile:
  • TelMc32 said:

kentred2 said:

Yes brilliant night. i was 15. Killer!

Last game at The Valley in 85 was a bit crowded on the pitch.

I was 8 for this game and a bit of a veteran even then...one of the great nights early in my Charlton supporting career that just cemented the love of all things Addick!!

:smile:
    oh of course. Hardly a celebratory one though. I was on crutches and whilst everyone was on pitch I tried to get into Directors from rear of stand. Just ended up startling Steve Gritt!
  • I was always by the left hand post. My sister was very attractive and used to get a lot of attention if that helps:) I remember the copper and how most of the lads surged down and crushed us young 'uns at the front as the match neared its end.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think I was right in the middle of the goal, front row. TBh I can't be 100% sure.
  • The game that made my Dad's mind up to take me the following season after he had become a lapsed fan with a young family. Always grateful for that April night 40 years ago.
  • I hadn't realised until I checked Wikipedia just now that Andy Nelson was manager for almost 6 years.
  • That was special.Bobby Charlton was manager I believe.
    Good Photo as well including the much maligned Peter Hunt.
  • Loved that season - I was 20 and fancy free.
    Had a Terrace Season Ticket in those days, anyone remember them, and as usual went to every home game and loads of aways that season (Watford, Peterborough, Aldershot, Walsall, Plymouth and more - all the hotbeds of football, haha)
    That last game was so tense, as we had a bad case of Promotion "jitters" leading up to it.
    Still got every home programme and a few away in my loft (and that old season ticket book stubs)
    Had a Terrace Season Ticket in those days, anyone remember them, and as usual went to every home game and loads of aways that season (Watford, Peterborough, Aldershot, Walsall, Plymouth and more - all the hotbeds of football, haha)
    That last game was so tense, as we had a bad case of Promotion "jitters" leading up to it.
    Still got every home programme and a few away in my loft (and that old season ticket book stubs)

Yep. I had a terrace S/T. Little "books" with yellow or pink covers, IIRC.

Yep. I had a terrace S/T. Little "books" with yellow or pink covers, IIRC.
    That's it. Different colour every year.
    My season ticket number that season was 00005.
    My mates and I used to joke that we didn't make double figures for S/T sales that year after the crud of the previous 4 seasons :-)
  • pettgra said:

That was special.Bobby Charlton was manager I believe.
    Good Photo as well including the much maligned Peter Hunt.

Every successful team needs a Peter Hunt, especially in those days.
    Did all the dirty work, while Bowman, Peacock, Paddy and co. caught the eye
  • I remember it was a very big 24k crowd. I've often wondered what that particular crowd would be like in our ground nowadays. Probably have to have some people sharing a seat.
  • I remember it was a very big 24k crowd. I've often wondered what that particular crowd would be like in our ground nowadays. Probably have to have some people sharing a seat.

With that particular crowd it would be a lot noisier for a start. There were only a few girls and not many family groups 'specially in the Covered end.