Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Leader's return - Dennis is back

edited February 2015 in General Charlton
Before Dennis in the last minute . The name Dennis was mainly associated at Charlton with the legendary supporter Dennis Burgess. Dennis is our leader was regularly sung by the Addickted away fans in the 70's and 80's. He even featured in VOTV on a couple of occasions .

I am pleased to report that after a couple of years absence due to caring responsibilities for his elderly mother Dennis will be back in the North Upper for Saturday's game .

Comments

• Good for him
  • wecome back big man
  • Remember him well,legend
  • Brilliant, nice one R:)
  • Remember in 1975 we drew 2-2 at home to a very physical Port Vale. My mate shouted out, "You're like a bunch of animals!" Dennis agreed and said "More like pigs than humans". Legend. Remember him and his mate with the permed hair taking the Notts County side in the mid 70's.
  • edited February 2015
    I thought this was going to be a thread about Daisy Edwards, must be a generation thing, anyway welcome back Dennis enjoy the game. Now Stuart Morgan he was my leader :wink: .
  • Dennis and SCP return on the same day! legends both , welcome back u2.
  • edited February 2015

Remember in 1975 we drew 2-2 at home to a very physical Port Vale. My mate shouted out, "You're like a bunch of animals!" Dennis agreed and said "More like pigs than humans". Legend. Remember him and his mate with the permed hair taking the Notts County side in the mid 70's.

We call his mate Captain Underpants. No idea why.

Dennis has been AWOL, for a lot more, than a couple of years, although I have seen him occasionally.

Welcome back Dennis.
  • Captain Underpants got a bloody nose in 2000 when Charlton fans had a really scary fight amongst themselves in the covered end on Easter Friday v Portsmouth. We were promoted the following day when City drew 2-2 at QPR. Never knew what the fight was about, but it was long, bloody and sustained. No pompey involved.
  • Really? That's Millwall behaviour.
  • Sponsored links:

• @Addickted once told me a story about Dennis berating the ref at Shrewsbury in the early 80's, through the wire mesh fencing at the front of the terrace.

When he turned around his glasses had got stuck in the wire mesh and he was staggering around as he was very short sighted! Would loved to have seen that.
  • Welcome back Dennis. I'm coming out of exile for your comeback. A true Charlton legend. For you youngsters Dennis tells it how it is.
  • edited February 2015

Captain Underpants got a bloody nose in 2000 when Charlton fans had a really scary fight amongst themselves in the covered end on Easter Friday v Portsmouth. We were promoted the following day when City drew 2-2 at QPR. Never knew what the fight was about, but it was long, bloody and sustained. No pompey involved.

I was sitting in the row behind. Captain Underpants was slagging off a teenaged girl & unfortunately for him,
    her dad was sitting right there. CU got it & it all went off wild west style. Just like a saloon bar brawl.
    Everyone was just hitting everyone else for no particular reason.
    It was a Covered End classic !
  • Captain Underpants got a bloody nose in 2000 when Charlton fans had a really scary fight amongst themselves in the covered end on Easter Friday v Portsmouth. We were promoted the following day when City drew 2-2 at QPR. Never knew what the fight was about, but it was long, bloody and sustained. No pompey involved.

I was sitting in the row behind. Captain Underpants was slagging off a teenaged girl & unfortunately for him,
    her dad was sitting right there. CU got it & it all went off wild west style. Just like a saloon bar brawl.
    Everyone was just hitting everyone else for no particular reason.
    It was a Covered End classic !
    Wait until the spanner Lifers pick up on this, should be fun, might get some popcorn handy.
  • I had heard that story, but was surprised so many got involved. I was in the row below the walkway and people were leaning over the walkway and being savagely attacked.
  • I had heard that story, but was surprised so many got involved. I was in the row below the walkway and people were leaning over the walkway and being savagely attacked.

Like I say, it was, as I described. Everyone was just lumping everyone else, without even knowing why.
    To be fair i would say they were pretty much all willing participants, apart from Captain Underpants :smiley:
  • He's a Charlton legend alrighty. Good on yer Dennis.
  • Shall we have a minutes applause on 2 minutes (the number of years he's been away)? Would be a mark of respect for a true CAFC legend. Rock on Buddy Holly.
  • Welcome back Dennis think B mob should carry him in shoulder high.think he should be in lower not upper in covered end ref might not hear him up their.will he have s plastic bag.
  • Saw his mate last season in The Snowdrop (pub in Lewes) before Brighton, does he still go to home games, it was the first time I'd seen him in ages.
  • Sponsored links:

• That fight at the Pompey game started when 2 fellas at the back of B Block started singing the Pompey chimes for a joke (they were both Charlton as one was wearing a Charlton shirt under his jacket when he got carried out unconscious!) it turned into a free for all for a good 2 minutes until everyone realised we were all Charlton!! It was very weird!
  • Singing the Pompey chimes in the Covered End? Not a bright thing to do.

Like I say, it was, as I described. Everyone was just lumping everyone else, without even knowing why.
    To be fair i would say they were pretty much all willing participants, apart from Captain Underpants :smiley:
    I got a whack from a middle aged woman - who then immediately apologised!
  • edited February 2015
    Just to clarify a few points.

For newer fans Dennis had a similar reputation as Seb for the older generation . Rather than the worm his party piece was often offering his glasses to Referees because they needed them more than him. I loved the story about the Shrewsbury game and can well imagine it .

@Covered End Dennis has not been regularly to away games since the 80's ,but had a season ticket up until 2010 . His mother's health has meant that he couldn't attend every home match since then. He has not been at all for 2 years as his Mum got worse . Recently she got moved into a home which has meant he now has got some free time . He hopes to get a season ticket next season.

As for his mate . He does still go regularly ,but like Dennis he has calmed down a bit .I didn't know the story about the Pompey game.

For me Dennis is every part of being My Charlton as many of the players and along with @Miserableoldgit 's recent appearance at the Valley his planned return has cheered me up as much as the recent results.

• Said this before but you may have not seen it Richard.....Dennis got a clout from a copper after the infamous defeat by Burnley (7-1) for telling the copper that the ref stank...just like your dog....agree he is as much Charlton then any of the players that have worn the red shirt.
  • That fight at the Pompey game started when 2 fellas at the back of B Block started singing the Pompey chimes for a joke (they were both Charlton as one was wearing a Charlton shirt under his jacket when he got carried out unconscious!) it turned into a free for all for a good 2 minutes until everyone realised we were all Charlton!! It was very weird!

It really doesn't matter, so I don't know why I'm bothering.
    However, unless it happened at 2 different games, which I doubt, as I never miss a game.
    It didn't start like you say. I was sitting directly in the row behind.
    Captain Underpants was slagging off a teenage girl & unfortunately for him,

Maybe, what you say happened as well, but it 100% wasn't what started it. I heard every word said.

PS I didn't see anyone carried out unconscious either, but I suppose it's possible. Apologies for being argumentative.
  • edited February 2015

That fight at the Pompey game started when 2 fellas at the back of B Block started singing the Pompey chimes for a joke (they were both Charlton as one was wearing a Charlton shirt under his jacket when he got carried out unconscious!) it turned into a free for all for a good 2 minutes until everyone realised we were all Charlton!! It was very weird!

However, unless it happened at 2 different games, which I doubt, as I never miss a game.

Maybe, what you say happened as well, but it 100% wasn't what started it. I heard every word said.

PS I didn't see anyone carried out unconscious either, but I suppose it's possible. Apologies for being argumentative.
    No inclination to step in as peacemaker at the time then? I'm struggling to recall this incident because I had a season ticket in there for yonks hardly missed a game and the only real disturbance I can recall in all that time was to the right of the goal in block F or G?
  • RedChaser said:

That fight at the Pompey game started when 2 fellas at the back of B Block started singing the Pompey chimes for a joke (they were both Charlton as one was wearing a Charlton shirt under his jacket when he got carried out unconscious!) it turned into a free for all for a good 2 minutes until everyone realised we were all Charlton!! It was very weird!

No inclination to step in as peacemaker at the time then? I'm struggling to recall this incident because I had a season ticket in there for yonks hardly missed a game and the only real disturbance I can recall in all that time was to the right of the goal in block F or G?
    Leave off, I was too busy ducking the punches :smile:
  • I agree back in the day the guy was a true legend, but also a bloody liability at times.

Those were the days when away fans, especially small numbers of away fans, were fair game for the local hard men. At times like this it was always best to shut your mouth and keep your head down, sadly this did not come easily to Denise and this would often get others dragged into trouble by their proximity.

Happy days

• Dennis is back? It's like signing a new player....