Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New York City

Going in September, never been before.
Any recommendations as to what to do, what to see etc that's off the usual tourist trail. We'll be doing all that anyway.

Comments

• Dont know when in the month you are going, but the Red Sox are in town end of the month. Yankees v Red Sox is about as big as you will get in terms of US sporting rivalry.
  • Dont know when in the month you are going, but the Red Sox are in town end of the month. Yankees v Red Sox is about as big as you will get in terms of US sporting rivalry.

That'd be brilliant as I follow the Red Sox
  • edited February 2015
    Being a Charlton fan you will probably enjoy the High Line Walk. Basically it an old train line that has been turned into a walk through New York.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Line_(New_York_City)
  • Oh and its free.....
  • iainment said:

Dont know when in the month you are going, but the Red Sox are in town end of the month. Yankees v Red Sox is about as big as you will get in terms of US sporting rivalry.

That'd be brilliant as I follow the Red Sox
    As do I! Have always wanted to see a game v the Yanks. You could probably get tickets from stubhub or one of the many online resellers.
  • This is pretty hidden in a posh hotel, but there is a great characterful tiny burger bar that's worth visiting.

parkermeridien.com/eat/burger-joint/
  • edited February 2015
    Do the Circle line boat tour around new york. Great start to the holiday (orientation wise) and goes round the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. From piers on the west side and reasonably priced imo.
  • Do the Circle line boat tour around new york. Great start to the holiday (orientation wise) and goes round the Statue of Liberty and Robin Island. From piers on the west side and reasonably priced imo.

"Robin Island"? Is that correct? Do you mean Staten Island (apologies in advance if I am wrong)
  • PeterGage said:

Do the Circle line boat tour around new york. Great start to the holiday (orientation wise) and goes round the Statue of Liberty and Robin Island. From piers on the west side and reasonably priced imo.

"Robin Island"? Is that correct? Do you mean Staten Island (apologies in advance if I am wrong)
    Maybe Ellis Island (where the immigration museum is) but agree the Circle Line is well worth doing.
  • Go on the Staten island ferry, it is free and you get a great view of New York from the boat
  • Sponsored links:

• There is so much to do there. It's an incredible place to visit. I've been twice and am going to be arranging another trip, hopefully filof this year. Awesome place.
  • PeterGage said:

Do the Circle line boat tour around new york. Great start to the holiday (orientation wise) and goes round the Statue of Liberty and Robin Island. From piers on the west side and reasonably priced imo.

Maybe Ellis Island (where the immigration museum is) but agree the Circle Line is well worth doing.
    Robben Island was Nelson Mandela's prison
  • Apologies meant Ellis Island!!
  • PeterGage said:

Robben Island was Nelson Mandela's prison
    And also well worth a visit if you happen to be in Cape Town.
  • Cipriani's restaurant in Soho - surround yourself with beautiful people. I sat next to Stephen Dorff and the most impossibly beautiful woman the first time I went. Lisa Bonet another time. Very pricey and decidedly average but very interesting place. Hustle, bustle and supermodels :smiley:

For a night out I went to 230 Fifth Avenue. Rooftop bar on 23rd floor (I think). Incredible views at night time. Very expensive but I have never been as drunk as the night I left there. (Thankfully all on expenses but $1600 for about 8 of us to get absolutely battered).

SPQR or Peter Luger steak house are pretty decent steakhouses too in the Meat Packing District
  • Southbank said:

Go on the Staten island ferry, it is free and you get a great view of New York from the boat

Recommend this free ferry for sure - great views on the way back of Liberty and Lower Manhattan.

Went last April mate for a 5 day break. Stayed in the Crowne Plaza in Times Square which was perfect for the Broadway shows. It's pretty much as you imagine in that particular 'tourist' area; absolutely rammed solid with people and traffic but fascinating all the same as it's iconic New York. M&M store is a giggle!

Central Park is a must and only a 25 minute walk from Times Square (with a 'slow' Mrs in tow!). We hired a tandem and spent the morning riding around the park. Absolutely killed me and then realised why when the Mrs told me she had not been doing any of the pedalling!

Also really recommend getting the subway to Brooklyn and then walking back to Manhattan across Brooklyn Bridge - excellent.

For me, the 9/11 Memorial site is a must. I found it really moving and it's just a perfect place to reflect and remember, a truly fitting memorial to those who sadly perished. You need to go on the website and 'book' a slot though before you go, minimal cost, just an admin fee.

I pre-booked a guided tour also before I went. The bus picked us up outside the hotel and the trip included Empire State Building, Central Station and a trip to The Statue of Liberty, again a 'must' for me. It was a decent tour and I booked it off the back of strong reviews on Tripadvisor as there are so many to choose from.

Not sure where you are staying but when you eat try and head away a bit from the Times Square area of Broadway. We were advised to go west slightly to 9th Ave where we found some good restaurants. Make sure you get a 'slice' of pizza in one of the many deli's in the area.

Just cram loads in mate. I did lots of prep/planning beforehand, using Tripadvisor and a Lonely Planet guide that I bought and it really paid off.

I am sure that there is loads of good advice that lifers on here will/can give but feel free to drop me a PM and am more than happy to have a chat about it mate.

Enjoy.

• Five or seven day ticket for the underground (Subway) from Grand Central station allowing you to hop on and off.
    Ellis Island is a must. Empire State view from the top. Tour round the United Nations complex.
    Sunday morning gospel brunch at B.B. kings on 42nd street (you’ll think you’re in heaven) followed by a Sunday stroll in Central park
    All that for starters.
  • If you like jazz get to Birdland - Can book advance using the net........5.30pm performance for New Yorkers & Tourists -great music, cocktails and atmosphere.
  • I was in New York for the first St Patrick's Parade after 9/11. It was about 68 degrees that day. So warm I dropped my coat back at the hotel. The next day it was about -30.
  • 9/11 memorial should not be missed, one of the coolest things I've done on a visit (been there 3 times). Don't skip a show on Broadway, they are not as cliche as some people make them. Avoid the subway at night if at all possible (don't ask). As for the food scene, bring slot of money and just start walking around, something will appeal to you. May I suggest Lou Malnatti's, oldest pizza place in the U.S. When you get into the city, like I said, just start walking around, who knows what you will find. Have fun!
  • Sponsored links:

• Thank you all, but keep the tips coming please.
  • hawksmoor said:

I was in New York for the first St Patrick's Parade after 9/11. It was about 68 degrees that day. So warm I dropped my coat back at the hotel. The next day it was about -30.

That's the warmth of the Irish.
  • hawksmoor said:

I was in New York for the first St Patrick's Parade after 9/11. It was about 68 degrees that day. So warm I dropped my coat back at the hotel. The next day it was about -30.

That's the warmth of the Irish.
    You know New York is the city that never sleeps? So I was in a bar there at about 11pm and the barmaid shouted last orders. I was bloody livid. City that never sleeps. Pffft!

• NugNug
    edited February 2015
    Lived there for a few years in late 90's, used to be a pizza place called Lombardi's near little Italy I think, was absolutely amazing. Central Park is great as is Riverside Park on Upper West Side nice views over the river to have a drink, September is the best month, weather will be gorgeous. Agree about the baseball, best of America.
  • edited February 2015
    The Bronx Zoo is pretty good for a day out ...
  • And the other thing....always go out for breakfast......plenty of places - much better than the hotel. Usually you don't need to eat much afterwards for several hours or so.
  • Go a lot as my wife is a New Yorker. The obvious places to go would be Ellis Island (incredible), the High Line, Central Park and Empire State Building but my top tips are:

Union Square and especially the Strand second hand bookshop - the biggest in the world
    Max's chocolate factory around there for the most indulgent meal ever.
    Bars in Greenwich Village, especially Spring Street. Some great microbreweries there.
    View of Manhattan from Red Hook, Brooklyn.
    Coney Island and Prospect Park in Brooklyn.
    Tenement museum in the East Village.

Have a great time!
  • A Trip to NY is not complete without spending some time in and around Grand Central Station. There are some great restaurants around there and brilliant bars.

Recommend The Campbell Apartments on the west side of the Station, which I think was the original station managers rooms. It is truly impressive. They don't allow people wearing trainers though. Lea's is a great bar nearby with some glamorous staff and people hanging out. McSorleys is an institiution of a bar. For Food the Palm steakhouse is a place where traditional NY families go to be seen and hang out.

If you really want to push the boat out, I would try getting a table at Jean George Vongerstein in Trump International. Its rated as one of the top restaurants in the world, although I found it to be slightly overbearing.

Agree with the people on the Circle line, and Greenwich Village- always something going on.

Also Union Coffee shop in Union square. They have music in there at the weekends, opens 23 hours per day, and has great relatively cheap food.

For the vegetarians, or those wanting to do something a bit different, one of my favourite places is Hangawi near the empire state building, which is a korean veggie restaurant (oxymoron?).

Be prepared to have a conversation with people - NY is a really chatty place.

As you can tell, food/drink is more my preference compared to shopping...
  • Katz Deli on East Houston St......get some Pastrami (need to say that in a Brooklyn accent)