Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Blatter's opinions on playing games abroad

Looks like it aint going to happen, at least not while Blatter is in charge.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30400-1305583,00.html

"Playing Premier League matches overseas could wreck England's bid to host the 2018 World Cup, Sepp Blatter has warned.
The FIFA president says the controversial proposal will never get off the ground while he is in charge.

England wants to host World CupPremier League clubs have agreed in principle to look into playing one extra match a season overseas, despite opposition from fans.

Foreign cities would bid to host the games - one for every club - which are seen as a way of boosting the league's profile abroad.

But Blatter feels the project is all about money and he will raise the matter with FIFA's Congress if the league insists on pushing ahead with the plans.

He said: "If you go against the authority of FIFA and the decision-making body which is the executive committee then you cannot expect them to be in your favour later on.

"England will not be the only World Cup bid. I cannot imagine that when you go against the deciding body for the decision on the World Cup in an initiative that will not be accepted by this body, that you will enhance your chances. It will not be diplomatic."

He added: "Football cannot be like the Harlem Globetrotters or a circus. You must keep the national identity of the clubs.

"It will not be acceptable to the FIFA executive committee, I am sure. This will never happen - at least this will not happen as long as I am the president of FIFA.

Sepp Blatter has condemned the idea"If you are the most prosperous league in the world and if you accept that everyone in football has a responsibility to maintain it not only as a business, but as a game.

"Then, all of a sudden you come out with a project which only has business and money behind it."

The criticism follows strong opposition from UEFA counterpart Michel Platini and Asian federation chief Mohamed bin Hammam.

A Premier League spokesman said: "We look forward to the opportunity to meet with FIFA in order to discuss this matter in full.

"This was always the starting point in relation to this issue of sanction of our proposed international round and as such we will be making no further comment until after that time.""

nullLooks like it aint going to happen, at least not while Blatter is in charge.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30400-1305583,00.html

"Playing Premier League matches overseas could wreck England's bid to host the 2018 World Cup, Sepp Blatter has warned.
The FIFA president says the controversial proposal will never get off the ground while he is in charge.

England wants to host World CupPremier League clubs have agreed in principle to look into playing one extra match a season overseas, despite opposition from fans.

Foreign cities would bid to host the games - one for every club - which are seen as a way of boosting the league's profile abroad.

But Blatter feels the project is all about money and he will raise the matter with FIFA's Congress if the league insists on pushing ahead with the plans.

He said: "If you go against the authority of FIFA and the decision-making body which is the executive committee then you cannot expect them to be in your favour later on.

"England will not be the only World Cup bid. I cannot imagine that when you go against the deciding body for the decision on the World Cup in an initiative that will not be accepted by this body, that you will enhance your chances. It will not be diplomatic."

He added: "Football cannot be like the Harlem Globetrotters or a circus. You must keep the national identity of the clubs.

"It will not be acceptable to the FIFA executive committee, I am sure. This will never happen - at least this will not happen as long as I am the president of FIFA.

Sepp Blatter has condemned the idea"If you are the most prosperous league in the world and if you accept that everyone in football has a responsibility to maintain it not only as a business, but as a game.

"Then, all of a sudden you come out with a project which only has business and money behind it."

The criticism follows strong opposition from UEFA counterpart Michel Platini and Asian federation chief Mohamed bin Hammam.

A Premier League spokesman said: "We look forward to the opportunity to meet with FIFA in order to discuss this matter in full.

"This was always the starting point in relation to this issue of sanction of our proposed international round and as such we will be making no further comment until after that time.""

Comments

• Blatter is an arse, but about time he got something right
  • I generally think the fella is a bit of a c0ck but he has my backing for once.
  • That fact that it annoys Blatter is the one redeeming feature of this idea.
  • Ah the Beautiful Game.

Im not sure who is worse Blatter or Scudamore. FIFA or the Premier League.

Our FA only get worried because of the prospect of pressure re future World Cups.

God it all stinks.