Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Do you need a good excuse to not go to a game?

I've had this thought all week that I don't want to go today. My Dad is away on holiday and my son has something else he'd rather do today so I wouldn't be letting anyone down by staying at home.

The thing is that I don't want to go. I'm not sure why I feel like this. Sure, I've never, really, enjoyed the drive up and back and can't say I love the walk from the car to the ground, but today I don't even want to watch the game.

I don't think it helps that we have so many new players coming and going, or that we have been playing rubbish football and not been winning, but we have had spels like this before and I've always wanted to watch us. Maybe the fact that the new manager doesn't even sound like he can speak English has dulled my enthusiasm, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Maybe my life has changed over the last couple of years and I was always going to 'fall out of love' with football and it's just a coincidence that it has happened just after we've appointed our fourth manager in twelve months.

The sad thing is that I'm not angry, I'm not posting this because I want to make a statement, nor do I want people to try to rally 'round and talk me into going. I just don't want to go. I've only missed a couple of home games since 1987 and there has always been a good reason or something I couldn't get out of elsewhere, but this is the first time I have made the decision to stay at home rather than go to the game.

Aside from those that are angry at how the club has been run recently, is there anyone else that feels the same?

Comments

• It must be Moanday
  • The answer is simple .. If you don't wanna go ... then don't go .. if you do wanna go .. then go .. what's the problem ?
  • Yeah I'm not going today either. All a bit meh at the moment.

Will be staying at home and keeping up with the match thread.
  • Not sure why, but I will be there then at 4:50 I will turn to my brother and say why did I bother
  • edited January 2015
    PL54 said:

It must be Moanday

The answer is simple .. If you don't wanna go ... then don't go .. if you do wanna go .. then go .. what's the problem ?

Great responses; well done everyone. The problem is that he has been going to games since 1987 and now doesn't want to which is troubling him, understandably in my view. So he's come on here to share his feelings and talk it through, which is also understandable, but not what I would have done as all it ellicits is mindless responses like the ones above.
  • I feel exactly the same about going today. Even a new manager, new players and the promise of more players coming into the club can not fire up my mojo.
    I have watched Charlton for over 25 yrs and can not work out why i feel like it. Its a very odd feeling to say the least.
  • Yes a very very good excuse. And that is Roland's pocket.
  • KHA - I am not feeling too good today and don't really fancy it either. I have been going regularly since the 70's but my feelings are the same. My first hope today is a goal. Logic suggests Rotherham will get a result but I will go because I live locally. I have decided that I won't support Roland Duchatelet with a season ticket renewal this year unless there us some communication that sets out a more credible strategy. If I go pay-on-the day, days like today will be spent doing something less painful.Other supporters will argue that he will cut his cloth according to the budget so we will get worse, but that is simply an extension of his current policies which aren't working. It's him that will be losing money in the end.
  • Maybe its sad syndrome?
  • Sponsored links:

• No problem at all. If you cannot be arsed you cannot be arsed!

• KHA. I feel exactly the same. I'm going today but no real enthusiasm. I'll take stock of it all afterwards and work out how I feel.
  • Uboat said:

PL54 said:

It must be Moanday

The answer is simple .. If you don't wanna go ... then don't go .. if you do wanna go .. then go .. what's the problem ?

Great responses; well done everyone. The problem is that he has been going to games since 1987 and now doesn't want to which is troubling him, understandably in my view. So he's come on here to share his feelings and talk it through, which is also understandable, but not what I would have done as all it illicits is mindless responses like the ones above.
    I've been going to games since 1961 and have seen ups, downs, rounds and abouts galore without resorting to public whinging about it ... so .. I don't need any lessons about or comments on my comments from a sarcastic twit such as yourself
  • To be honest I'd rather stay at home and watch Soccer Saturday, especially in this weather, but I have a season ticket, and I don't want to miss the moment that we turn our season around!

Plus I have only missed one home game since I got a season ticket, and I have deep regrets about that (even though we lost 2-0 that day).

Just have to be there, when I'm there, no matter how much I didn't want to go before, I'm always happy I did.

In fact, I missed the FA Cup game against Bolton and I felt bad enough about that... Never again!
  • edited January 2015
    I know what you mean KHA. I usually take my 2 boys and daughter. Eldest boy and daughter had other things on today, other boy didn't want to go because the other 2 weren't going. I decided that I couldn't be bothered to drive there today.

Not so long ago I wouldn't have dreamed of missing a game (blown out weddings arranged holidays around games etc etc).

Slowly over the last couple of years the interest has been slipping away. After 30 odd years, it's turned in to a loveless marriage. I certainly won't be buying 4 season tickets next season.

Of course I hope we win today, but whatever the outcome, I'm not bothered about missing it.

Quite sad really.

So in answer to your question - no you don't need an excuse.
  • Going on my own today, not been feeling enthusiastic at all. But will still go.
  • Never forget "last" game at Valley v Stoke. Half time some tried to end game eg snapping crossbar, but for others a match was more important so booed them.

Feel same now. Some see how wrong network is for future others just want to go to a match on a Saturday.
  • I feel exactly the same kha. Am on call today so was hoping work would save me. It hasn't, I'm having lunch at a service station on the m25 en route to my bi - weekly sadist session. I can't stay away however much I don't fancy it
  • edited February 2015
  • An excuse not to go? How strange.
  • Sponsored links:

• Maybe its sad syndrome?

Supporting A Duchatelet?
  • Just seen the team, nothing there to make me wish I had gone....and look at the wealth of attacking options on the bench, you know just in case Harriot and Bikey can't manage a goal :(
  • Lucky it's only a game of football
  • Uboat said:

PL54 said:

It must be Moanday

Great responses; well done everyone. The problem is that he has been going to games since 1987 and now doesn't want to which is troubling him, understandably in my view. So he's come on here to share his feelings and talk it through, which is also understandable, but not what I would have done as all it illicits is mindless responses like the ones above.
    I've been going to games since 1961 and have seen ups, downs, rounds and abouts galore without resorting to public whinging about it ... so .. I don't need any lessons about or comments on my comments from a sarcastic twit such as yourself
    What an arsehole.
  • edited January 2015
    Off_it said:

Uboat said:

PL54 said:

It must be Moanday

What an arsehole.
    f**k off it
  • You not going today then?
  • Off_it said:

You not going today then?

Me ? .. no mush , I'm at home in Lincolnshire .. see you at Middlesbrough next week .. though you're an armchair polisher with your arse .. so not
  • Thought not
  • Chill your boots fellas, my chi can't handle the bickering today..............
  • I've got two children under the age of 2 and I live 100 miles away from the valley so I have three excuses but without all of that I feel the same as the original poster and I can't really put my finger on it either. And I've been going regularly since 1995 when I left college and could afford to go in case anyone cares.