Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Man Utd blackmail fans shocker !

Forgive me if this has been mentioned already but having just returned from our annual trip to the Big Smoke and being in possession of the freebie that is The Evening Standard ( more excitement), an article that caught Mr F's beady eye is worth a mention ( if only to warn RD & KM that this would NOT amuse our fans )

It states that Man Utd have warned around 9,000 season ticket holders that they will be banned from the home game against Sunderland if they do not buy a ticket for next week's FA Cup replay with Cambridge Utd ..

Failure to pay for the match against the League 2 side will result in season tickets being suspended for the Premier League game on February 28th.

In a letter to season ticket holders, the club wrote " The deadline to buy your seat for the replay is 8pm tonight(Weds). Please note that not buying this ticket will result in your season ticket being suspended for the Sunderland game.

WTF !!!!! Surely that would mean, in effect that a season ticket holder's seat could be sold again for the Sunderland game ! How can that be legal ?

But most of all, Millwall fans should be made aware that this practice could spread to other Clubs, if successful at Old Trafford.....

Just think how confused Stuwall would be !

Comments

• just saw that myself its a disgrace, I would refuse to buy a Cambridge ticket out of principal now
  • Apparently it's one of the rules when they get a season ticket that they have to buy cup tickets or something along those lines
    So everyone would have been warned

Not that that makes it fair
  • Apparently it's one of the rules when they get a season ticket that they have to buy cup tickets or something along those lines

Just feel it's totally outrageous even if they priced the Cup tickets at a fiver !

Think I'd "soil" my seat at the end of the match before 28th Feb to show my displeasure.

• Hope RD isn't reading this, it might give him some ideas..!!
  • cafc999 said:

Hope RD isn't reading this, it might give him some ideas..!!

It might help actually
    people will think Yes at least I have an excuse not to go now
  • 'What a fuckin' liberty!'
  • A lot of the fans are kicking up because United are charging £50 for the Cambridge replay which they think is exorbitant.
    Surely Cambridge are not paying this price ?
  • I believe this was in place last season too, certainly remember it being discussed, I think Man U changed the terms and conditions of their season tickets meaning they can indeed do this. Obviously doesn't make it right though

Just feel it's totally outrageous even if they priced the Cup tickets at a fiver !

Think I'd "soil" my seat at the end of the match before 28th Feb to show my displeasure.

Not AGAIN Fanny. Roland had to change all the seats last time
  • Sponsored links:

• Davo55 said:

Apparently it's one of the rules when they get a season ticket that they have to buy cup tickets or something along those lines

Ssssh, Davo !

I've since learned NOT to rely on Tena Lady....

:-)

• I believe this was in place last season too, certainly remember it being discussed, I think Man U changed the terms and conditions of their season tickets meaning they can indeed do this. Obviously doesn't make it right though

Wonder how small the small print is though.

• If those are the rules make the players pay for tickets, this game is only happening because they couldn't beat a league 2 side with a team costing nearly 1/3 billion

I suspect these terms and conditions would fail the test of a contract being fair to both parties and so would be unenforceable.
  • I've checked and last season United threatened season ticket holders with forfeiting the Manchester derby if they didn't buy a ticket for the Olympiakos game 6 days earlier.
  • edited January 2015

Davo55 said:

Apparently it's one of the rules when they get a season ticket that they have to buy cup tickets or something along those lines

Ssssh, Davo !

Jean, that wasn't the reason I moved, honest ;-)
  • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/8944110/Manchester-United-launch-inquiry-into-20million-Champions-League-shortfall.html?mobile=basic

I thought this rang a bell. The above link is from 2011.

"Currently, the bank accounts of season-ticket holders are automatically debited for home games in the FA Cup, League Cup and both European competitions but many fans complained to the club yesterday that they did not wish to be included in such a scheme for the Europa League."

Therefore whether fans have any intention at all to go to cup games they have the money automatically debited from their bank accounts the details of which they have to give the club when buying a season ticket.

Wonder if any Utd fans have ever challenged this?
  • Sponsored links:

• just saw that myself its a disgrace, I would refuse to buy a Cambridge ticket out of principal now

The principle that you've got no place being at a United game unless they're playing Charlton fan. (that works for any team with United in their name)
  • Davo55 said:

Ssssh, Davo !

Jean, that wasn't the reason I moved, honest ;-)
    I know, Joe.

It was merely due to my big gob giving you earache.

• There'll be riots in Surrey.
  • Perhaps they should consider increasing season ticket prices to include cup games. I believe Arsenals season tickets include six cup games.
  • Maybe if Man Utd's prima donnas weren't so pisspoor they wouldn't need to threaten fans to get them to buy tickets.

A boycott seems fruitless though. If you refuse to renew your season ticket, there's a thousand fund managers from London waiting to take your spot.
  • edited January 2015

I believe this was in place last season too, certainly remember it being discussed, I think Man U changed the terms and conditions of their season tickets meaning they can indeed do this. Obviously doesn't make it right though

I suspect these terms and conditions would fail the test of a contract being fair to both parties and so would be unenforceable.
    Agreed, except when you renew your season ticket, your seat will be sold as it's not guaranteed.
  • It is part of the terms and conditions for gods sake.

Hardly blackmail, and they get the money refunded if their seat is sold for the 'banned' game.
  • Jayajosh said:

I believe this was in place last season too, certainly remember it being discussed, I think Man U changed the terms and conditions of their season tickets meaning they can indeed do this. Obviously doesn't make it right though

Agreed, except when you renew your season ticket, your seat will be sold as it's not guaranteed.
    In which case I'd say "Fuck 'em" and go and support someone else.
  • Man Utd supporters agree to be treated as big wallets of money in return for getting a seat to watch their team.

They can't really be called fans on that premise.
  • Apparently it's not even enough just buying a cup ticket, unless the cup ticket is used and swiped in for entry to be gained to the ground for the cup game then it would count as not having bought the cup ticket and foregoing the next league game.