Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CAFC vs Rotherham | Sat 31st Jan 2015 | 3pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions,News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Rotherham United
3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Scott Duncan (Northumberland)

Introduction
With the Work Permit coming through for Guy Luzon last Thursday, the official reign under our first Israeli Manager could finally begin, first up was a trip to the Midlands were the Addicks would face an inform Wolves side and with the FA Cup on show, Charlton would be given the honour of being one of the games covered by the Soccer Saturday panel (in ex-Southampton Legend: Matt Le Tissier) – Fortunately for Charlton and maybe unfortunately for Le Tissier the match wasn’t one of the highlights of the day… a 0-0 result would open Luzon’s account with neither ‘keeper really tested – Fast forward to this Saturday and Charlton after being on the road for the last two weeks return home and although we’re only in January, we find ourselves involved in a match that could mean so much come the end of the season as we face struggling: Rotherham United.

The Opposition
Promoted from League One via the Play-Offs last season at the expense of our neighbours; Leyton Orient, the Millers like Yeovil Town before them have struggled in their return to England’s 2nd Tier (their first time at this level since a one year visit in 2005), an unfortunate start against the Championship Play-Off finalists (Derby County) from last season saw Rotherham lose 1-0 before they would go on beat Wolves in their first home game a week later.

On 20 September 2014, the Addicks would come to town and once again things would look to be going our way… A first goal in Charlton colours from Johann Gudmundsson would give the Addicks a deserved lead but the rest of the match would remain a usual story in our season, failing to defend the lead away from home, Rotherham would go on to grab a deserved equaliser in loanee Luciano Becchio… In terms of links between the two sides; Ronnie Moore would arrive at the Valley from Yorkshire back in 1983 after a whip round from the fans in the stands whilst ex-Charlton players; Richard Wood and Frazer Richardson could both make appearances this weekend for the away side.

Player to Watch – Ben Pringle
Rotherham havent had the best of January Transfer Windows, losing the likes of top-scorer: Alex Revell to Cardiff City mean they could struggle to find the back of the net for the rest of the season (although that didn’t seem to be the case this midweek as they romped to a 4-2 win over Bolton Wanderers), the Millers do have experience with Matt Derbyshire and the hot-prospect of Jack Barmby (son of former Liverpool’s Nicky Barmby and currently on loan from Premier League side; Leicester City).

My player to watch though is a midfield who once he start’s he just cant stop (Sorry couldn’t resist) – Originally from the West Brom Youth Academy, Pringle would fail to make an appearance at the Hawthorns and would be forced to ply his trade in Non-League Football with the likes of Newcastle Blue Star / Morpeth Town and Ilkeston Town.

It was with the latter that he was spotted by Derby County, plucked back from Non-League Football in 2009, Ben would go on to make 20-appearances in a two year spell that involved a brief loan with Torquay United, signing for Rotherham in 2011, Pringle has gone on to make over 120-appearances for the Yorkshire side whilst scoring 17-goals (including one against Preston North End in last seasons Play-Offs), seen as one of pivotal players for Rotherham, he turned down a move to our rivals Millwall this January and will be vital in the Millers hopes for survival.

Line-Up
With Guy Luzon quickly stopping what could have been a real bad spell for the club this season following the defeat to Watford, it’ll remain to be seen what squad runs out on to the Valley pitch this Weekend, fresh from keeping a clean-sheet in his first match; Dmitrovic should remain in goal (Unless Stephen Henderson returns from injury) whilst Milos Veljkovic could also retain his place in Defensive Midfield… New signing Christophe Lepoint could also make an appearance (most likely from the bench) whilst our only other injury concern: Johnnie Jackson could also return.

Dmitrovic
Solly – Ben-Haim – Bikey – Fox
Gudmundsson – Veljkovic – Buyens – Cousins
Vetokele – Harriott

Substitutes Bench: Etheridge – Wiggins – Gomex – Jackson – Lepoint – Watt – Ahearne-Grant

Prediction
Charlton Athletic 2-0 Rotherham United (Vetokele, Harriott)

Comments

• Charlton 0-1 Rotherham
  • It's one we really HAVE to win and i have a sneaky feeling that we might score a few.

3-1
  • Easy 2-0 win, goals from Watt (24) Gudmunsson (89)
  • I'm feeling unusually positive. 3-1 Charlton and a Guy Luzon tunnel jump to finish
  • I have wet my finger and held it to the wind, and apparently we take an early lead, then fail to take our chances before conceding a late goal. 1-1.

• COYA!
  • 2-0 win and the play-off talk re-emerges.
  • edited January 2015
    Two Fox's? Which one is Wiggins hopefully the one in the starting lineup.
  • Gammysnr said:

Two Fox's? Which one is Wiggins hopefully the one in the starting lineup.

Doh... Curse you, you eagle eyed reader lol! - Amended now (I cant see a change in team)
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2015
    One of those games where i really want to be sat behind the away team's dug out for the afternoon....

• 2-0 and a false dawn begins .....
  • Won't be at all easy, Rotherham have strengthened considerably during this transfer window. I see YET another draw as our new look side settles down. The key to beating Rotherham is pace down the middle, attacking their accomplished yet rather slow central defenders. Vetokele .. pull your finger out and get motivated, IF selected.
    It's about time that Watt got a start, I have a feeling that Veljkovic will turn out to be an inspired signing and Dmitrovic will prove to be as good as some of the recent influx of East European goalkeepers.
    Even so, Rotherham away are a hard nut to crack .. Watch out for Pringle and loanee Conor Sammon

CAFC 0 v Rotherham United 0
  • With our midfield now looking a bit tougher I'd really like to see a 4-2-3-1

Lepoint Veljkovic
    Gudmun Buyens Cousins
    Watt

Igor off the bench to give him a bit of rest and use his legs later on. Perhaps Jackson for Lepoint depending on who is fit.

I'm feeling quietly optimistic about this, which is exactly why it will be 0-0.
  • 7 goal thriller. 4 - 3 to the Addicks
  • edited January 2015

7 goal thriller. 4 - 3 to the Addicks

It's taken us since after our game on the 8th Nov to score 4 whole goals in the league. At this rate you're using up nearly 3 months worth in 90 mins!
  • 1-1. Another draw.
  • 2-0 to GL's Red and too much White Army
  • Unfortunately I may have to miss this one but I am thinking we may sneak a win here. Would love to see us play like we did second half against Cardiff but in any case I am going for a 2-1 win
  • After the frenzy of transfer activity I expect us to win comprehensively 9-0 on Saturday.

Either that or I have taken one two many of my prescribed anti hallucination medication...
  • Sponsored links:

• Must be due a win,, surely, another improved performance, hopefully. 2-1.
  • After the frenzy of transfer activity I expect us to win comprehensively 9-0 on Saturday.

Either that or I have taken one two many of my prescribed anti hallucination medication...

sounds to me as if you've taken too few anti-hallucination meds .. mind you; I do so like a right good dream, asleep or indeed even awake ((:>)
  • One of those games where i really want to be sat behind the away team's dug out for the afternoon....

Is the reason to make you look slim?
  • Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Comfortable home win 4-0.

Surely you've got to get it right one day, mate?

Law of averages and all that.

;o)

• Hate to be pedantic but the Millers enjoyed five seasons in Div 1/Championship as a youngster I remember my Dad taking me to see Brighton play them in 2002. Nonetheless, Rotherham either follow up their 4-2 win against Bolton and win 1-0 or it's a drab 0-0. One we will not view in the same as last weeks.
  • Draw written all over it.
  • Watching Rotherham's 4 goals against Bolton, they kept getting 4 men in the box
    when they attack,
    We must start with Igor and Tony watt in attack, if he starts with Igor as the only striker (Harriott is a wide man) we will just find it hard to break them down.

Because you get an away 0-0, does not mean that formation will work at home.

4-4-2 if he's no fan of 3-5-2. but not 4-5-1
    we don't have a Lampard or Wark
  • Agony to continue, 2-0. To them.