Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

London Standard

Why do they hate the club so much?? Never a decent write up on the club, Watford and Palace have both been given full pages on last nights game , where we have about a 4 inch mention, never mentioned in the friday standard and last friday they tipped Palarse to beat us, i guess we must have pi55ed them off in the past, it just doesnt add up

Comments

• Had exactly the same conversation over a pint last night.

Not a single mention of us on Monday ........
  • there must be history there with all due respect to Watford they are in Hertfordshire, hardly london, never have liked the paper,only bought it in the past for the football, but it is embaressing now, surely there sports editior can see that
  • Its last sports editor went on to become Chelsea's head of press. That probably tells you all you need to know about it.

Anyway, the paper's only aimed at Home Counties bigots and 4x4 drivers in Notting Hill, I wouldn't worry about it unless you're suddenly out of bog roll and need an alternative (although its London Shite freesheet will usually suffice).
  • Could they have written a full page on the game?

Sounded drab as anything.
  • Chip wrapping is the only thing that paper is good for
  • not just the game though is it, a london derbt last friday and not a stitch in it, it is consistantly poor coverage on the club
  • [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]not just the game though is it, a london derbt last friday and not a stitch in it, it is consistantly poor coverage on the club

It's never cared - it'll only ever care about Spurs/ Chelsea/ Arsenal (in that order) and maybe West Ham if they're desperate.
  • it hates SE London in general anyway, horrible nasty paper.

TheLondonPaper seems to give us a bit of space
  • hewittprog@aol.com is a user on here.

He is also a freelancer who writes for the sub-Standard.

I put him onto the site when I refused to do one of their silly interviews before the Palace game. You can guess the type of questions
  • Sponsored links:

• West Ham always get a decent shout as the Standard's No.1 footy writer Ken Dyer is a big Hammers fans
  • Always been the bloody same that paper...I seem to recall a former sports editor saying that when we played at Sellout he could do the journey in 20 mins from the Valley and that we were a bunch of moaners.
  • Lets organise a boycott until we get what we want...
  • I have asked the club (Henry ?) to ban these arseholes from the Valley. We should never forget the " Chris who" head line or their GoonerLovingArsehole of a Sports editor Herd who wrote an article about us going to Shitouts park that "said so what it only takes 15 mins from Charlton to ShitOuts Park". Pre that they tookThePiss re us signing Simonsen when they creamed em selves when The Yids signed the two Argies. They should have been right behind that transfer as London was geting a European Footballer of the year.

When TheAreholes left Shitbury there was 6 pages we had played in the prem over that weekend we got 5 lines in a tiny column.

We dont need their bollox and pisstaking. Its not true that all publicity is good publicity. f**K em.
  • can't believe anyone buys The Arsenal Standard
  • Get it right its the Evening Gooner
  • Give them some credit..... we got a double spread when all the boys got sent down for MAZE HILL......!!!!
  • Its poor when a city as big as London hasnt got a daily paper of any quality news, tits and sport.
  • edited February 2008
    Paid-for evening papers are a dying breed, sadly. And Associated will put millions into chasing off anyone who dares challenge its sour old paper's monopoly - which is why you have the battle of the freesheets, because London Shite is only a spoiler to The London Paper. (And why they re-launched the Evening News 20 years ago to chase off the London Daily News.) The Standard seems to have found its level - appealling to an ultra-conservative, status-obsessed, affluent market who can read about themselves and their interests and prejudices every night for 50p... and their football clubs.
  • Splendid summing up inspector.
  • Sponsored links:

• bang on, the thing is, that the Standard is so anti what London is, it's scary.

You wouldn't know by reading it that London was a massively mixed city, with hundreds of languages spoken, people of many faiths, and more cultures then you can shake a stick at.

Horrible nasty paper
  • Yes lets have an evening paper in all the lauguages spoken in London !! Lets spend another £300 million (a year)on translaters while we are at it.

Or maybe we could have the edges of the paper filed down , any staples taken out,(for the H+S mafia) . All colomns veted by the moral madness brigade and and a free i love Red Ken badge (made of tofu)with every copy sold.

The papers bollox end of.
  • Blimey, I didn't know my post could be read that way.
  • Man Utd gets a huge coverage from The Evening Standard. Sadly says it all really.
  • Yes and Newcastle did as well.
  • [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]Man Utd gets a huge coverage from The Evening Standard. Sadly says it all really.

A couple of years ago they were offering Manchester United season tickets as competition prizes.
  • The Sub-Standard is written for a species of Londoner I don't recognise - a hybrid of Sloanes, trustafarians, rich white well to do types with good disposable incomes etc. Anyone reading that paper and who knew nothing of London, or of London life would walk away with the impression that London stopped at the Thames, except for that nice bit in south west London, that there only a couple of football clubs and everyone shopped at Harvey Nix or Selfridges, drank at West End wine bars and ate at Michelin starred restaurants. Where is the London that I know? All the clubs, the street markets, the muliti-ethnic vibrancy and stuff aimed at people under 25? That side of London gets so little coverage in that rag it isn't true.
  • The Daily lilyallen is all it is.

Full of trumped up West London arseholes who contribute zero to anyones life.

Rick Parfitt Jnr. I ask you.
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]bang on, the thing is, that the Standard is so anti what London is, it's scary.

You wouldn't know by reading it that London was a massively mixed city, with hundreds of languages spoken, people of many faiths, and more cultures then you can shake a stick at.

Horrible nasty paper

One of the spin off results of moving out of London to Carrot Cruncher Land is not having to come in contact with that miserable excuse for a rag.

I have never quite got over the fact that they bought out/saw off the Evening News, which wasn't great but was a damn sight better than the Sub-Standard. Its crap with a capital C.