Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gravesend - Pubs & Ferry

Some of my mates have heard that there are a lot of pubs in Gravesend and are talking about having a pub crawl there. Perhaps oddly, checking out some of the pubs online and finding out that they maybe aren't that salubrious has strengthened our resolve to go. Any, particular recommendations for pubs to visit or avoid?

On a related (geographically at least) note, as a resident of south Essex I've often wondered about trying the Tilbury/Gravesend ferry to get to a home match. Anyone done this? What's the journey like?

Comments

• Stig my old china. Got to pull you up on this.
    Obviously a mistake but You've put this in the fun section. You have however mentioned that you may well be visiting Gravesend AND Tilbury in the same day!

Please move it to the slit your throat section with the Duchtalet and Luzon threads.

;-)
  • Not been on the ferry for about 20 years, as I've no need to go to tilbury, but only a 5 minute crossing (duty-free not available).

As for Gravesend having loads of pubs, it (apparently) had more pubs per square mile than any other town in the country. Unfortunately, many have now been either turned into resturants or closed down then mysteriously burnt to the ground and replaced with houses/flats, although the latter is usually outside of the town centre.

There are still plenty of pubs in the town though...........
  • No one wants to go to gravesend it a dump of a place avoid at all cost and there football even changed there name as well
  • Rum Puncheon down by the ferry is nice and always has different ales and craft beers. Then the Three Dawes is two minutes away and decent. Between there's a place with live music i can't remember the name of... @Kent_red‌ may be able to help more so. Pubs in the town centre are hit and miss.
  • The Peacock in Peacock Street, my old haunt, tell the bar maid you know me and watch her face. Best pub in Gravesham Town
  • RedPanda said:

Rum Puncheon down by the ferry is nice and always has different ales and craft beers. Then the Three Dawes is two minutes away and decent. Between there's a place with live music i can't remember the name of... @Kent_red‌ may be able to help more so. Pubs in the town centre are hit and miss.

The place in between is called the middle 8 plenty of pubs here but I should think there's definitely somewhere better than gravesend for a pub crawl
  • The Jolly Drayman (known to locals as The Coke Oven) was always OK, but I have not been there for a couple of years. There is also a fairly new micropub, called the Compass Ale House, in Manor Road if real ale and cider is your thing.
  • Much worse places then gravesend, I suppose it depends on where you are comparing it to...

From the ferry, theres a fair number, you can go to. These are all in the town centre, all of varying quality

Rum puncheon
    Middle eight
    Riva
    Three Dawes
    The George
    Crown and thistle
    TJs
    Kent bar,
    The grapes,
    The goose,
    The Kings head,
    The pocock,
    Somerset arms,
    Railway bell,
    The wheat sheaf,
    The compass,

My route would be rum puncheon, three Dawes, the George, the crown and thistle, the grapes, the goose, the Kings head, the pocock, the wheat sheaf, the Somerset, the railway bell.

That maximises pubs on the way to the station. Some are really good, some crap and some I haven't been to myself.

• Gravesend, is actually not a bad place, it has it share of Chavs and Eastern European drunks hanging around. However, it does have some nice pubs and as stated plenty of them. Have had a stroll round them myself, and never found one that I'd say "do not go in there " although I am talking town centre. Equally has some lovely architecture, and well worth a visit. Go you will enjoy. When you spot those that have closed, makes you wonder what is was like when they were all open. There is a lovely gay bar /Nite spot never been in there, has sign with a lovely boy with Angels wings, if you do go in then let us know !
  • Is The Slammer still open?
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig - as RalphMilne says, despite its poor reputation, the various historical maritime and military connections make Gravesend a rather interesting place. The Rum Puncheon, recommended above, is a fine early 19th-century building on the waterfront with eight rotating ales on handpull; note the Russell's brewery windows.

The Crown & Thistle was originally two fishermen's cottages and has a convivial atmosphere free from music and machines: excellent beer and real cider, and formerly a CAMRA national pub of the year. The Jolly Drayman, away from the river, is also a Good Beer Guide regular and was once part of Walker's brewery.

If you have the time and inclination, try the Ship & Lobster, on the eastern edge of town at Denton Wharf. You'll think you are trespassing through a boatyard, past a lighthouse and a Trinity House yard stacked with buoys - the whitewashed pub is right by the sea wall and has Dickens connections.

Enjoy - but remember that the last ferry back to Tilbury is at 7 p.m.!
  • If you go in the Jolly Drayman say hello to Charlie.
  • Kent_red said:

Much worse places then gravesend, I suppose it depends on where you are comparing it to...

From the ferry, theres a fair number, you can go to. These are all in the town centre, all of varying quality

Rum puncheon
    Middle eight
    Riva
    Three Dawes
    The George
    Crown and thistle
    TJs
    Kent bar,
    The grapes,
    The goose,
    The Kings head,
    The pocock,
    Somerset arms,
    Railway bell,
    The wheat sheaf,
    The compass,

My route would be rum puncheon, three Dawes, the George, the crown and thistle, the grapes, the goose, the Kings head, the pocock, the wheat sheaf, the Somerset, the railway bell.

That maximises pubs on the way to the station. Some are really good, some crap and some I haven't been to myself.

And the Trocadero!!

I'd do a version of our annual Christmas pub crawl and do the longer walking at the start of the session. Windmill, Millers, Waterloo, Coke Oven (Drayman), TJ's, Grapes, New Inn, George, Crown & Crumpet, Three Daws, Middle 8, Rum Puncheon, Pocock (if you like a Weatherspoons), Troc, Compass, Railway Bell, Somerset, Wheatsheaf, next door for a kebab and then head off. The Goose is a Spoons alike and to me is a soulless shed, but to each their own.

• edited January 2015
    Brings back few memories his thread......British Tar, Valentinos etc, etc. Lived in Gravesend from 85-88 and before that Greenhithe, always prefered Gravesend to Dartford in those days.
  • lived in Dartford from 88-90, Gravesend from 90-2001 and then Dartford again from 2001-2007............sorry to say that Dartford wins all the time. As for pubs, I believe at one point in the 70's/80's there were over 50 pubs in the Gravesend area but over a dozen have shut (or burnt down if its called the Dickens ) since then.
  • DA9DA9
    edited January 2015
    RedPanda said:

Rum Puncheon down by the ferry is nice and always has different ales and craft beers. Then the Three Dawes is two minutes away and decent. Between there's a place with live music i can't remember the name of... @Kent_red‌ may be able to help more so. Pubs in the town centre are hit and miss.

The Middle Eight, go to a monthly Rock & Roll jam there.
  • The Jolly Drayman (known to locals as The Coke Oven) was always OK, but I have not been there for a couple of years. There is also a fairly new micropub, called the Compass Ale House, in Manor Road if real ale and cider is your thing.

Should you consider The Compass? you need to know. It's about the size of your lounge at home. It has no bar (the beer comes from the back room) It has no TV, no music and the use of mobile phones is not permitted.
    It's designed to make all the patrons talk to each other and in that sense it works.
    It is an unusual and quirky way to enjoy a pint or two. On the one occasion i went there, i quite enjoyed it. But it doesn't make for a rockin' night out.
    The 'coke oven' is a nice pub. Run by a Scooterist. Which is why i've been there.
  • Daggs said:

The Jolly Drayman (known to locals as The Coke Oven) was always OK, but I have not been there for a couple of years. There is also a fairly new micropub, called the Compass Ale House, in Manor Road if real ale and cider is your thing.

Should you consider The Compass? you need to know. It's about the size of your lounge at home. It has no bar (the beer comes from the back room) It has no TV, no music and the use of mobile phones is not permitted.
    It's designed to make all the patrons talk to each other and in that sense it works.
    It is an unusual and quirky way to enjoy a pint or two. On the one occasion i went there, i quite enjoyed it. But it doesn't make for a rockin' night out.
    The 'coke oven' is a nice pub. Run by a Scooterist. Which is why i've been there.
    I know Charlie well, one of the Sentinals.
  • edited January 2015

lived in Dartford from 88-90, Gravesend from 90-2001 and then Dartford again from 2001-2007............sorry to say that Dartford wins all the time. As for pubs, I believe at one point in the 70's/80's there were over 50 pubs in the Gravesend area but over a dozen have shut (or burnt down if its called the Dickens ) since then.

Lived on Knights Manor Way (89-98)....for 3/4 years was good then it went down hill.
  • edited January 2015

" I know Charlie well, one of the Sentinals "

Indeed he is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Daggs said:

Indeed he is.

Are you?
  • edited January 2015
    brogib said:

The Peacock in Peacock Street, my old haunt, tell the bar maid you know me and watch her face. Best pub in Gravesham Town

Had you down as a regular in Angels in Harmer street Rob........ ;)
  • Daggs said:

Indeed he is.

Are you?

No, but I know them and ride with them occasionally
  • Daggs said:

Daggs said:

Indeed he is.
    Are you?

I was a member of the Sentinals back in the 80's. I believe Alison is still heavily involved in them..............

• Daggs said:

Daggs said:

Indeed he is.
    Are you?

Good man, not into scooters myself but have a couple of old mates (Chris and Nick Bobby) who are members of the Sentinals and I know a few of the others through them.
  • I know the Bobby brothers well.
  • Daggs said:

I know the Bobby brothers well.

My old neighbours when I lived in Greenhithe, last saw them in November at the Coghurst Scooter Run down here.
  • They're pretty hardcore scooterists. I believe they're are riding to Cumbria this summer !!
    But they are ten years younger than me (my best excuse) :)
  • lived in Dartford from 88-90, Gravesend from 90-2001 and then Dartford again from 2001-2007............sorry to say that Dartford wins all the time. As for pubs, I believe at one point in the 70's/80's there were over 50 pubs in the Gravesend area but over a dozen have shut (or burnt down if its called the Dickens ) since then.

Not just the Dickens. Probably missed one or two but from memory: The Kent & Essex, The Prince of Wales, The Bridge House, The White Post all suffered from 'mysterious' fires.
  • Gravesend was and still is a very strong Charlton area! I remember going Chelsea away when I was about 14, 1980 approx when some of ours went in the shed end that Night and were walked back via the pitch in to our end where we never had many and surrounded by the Chelsea idoits. Charlton in the know will relate to this and I hope others will remember! Chelsea got run by our elders In the away end. Use to be a Chelsea thing where they would bully away fans! My point on Kent is back at the tube station after there was about 20 Charlton lads from Dartford/Gravesend and I know a lot of them that never gave up!Respect