Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Second Hand Car

Any suggestions on somewhere to pick up a decent second hand car??? Mine has just been given the "gonna cost more than its worth it mate" at todays MOT... :o(

Comments

• what are you looking for? I've got a couple spare at work we want to shift
  • Not overly fussed atm.... just finished with a Fiesta which I quite liked... what have you got/prices?? Cheers
  • Ebay's good, but you do have to know your stuff:

1. Private sellers with 100% feedback - don't touch 'classified ads'
    2. No previous car sales or parts sales in feedback history
    3. Good description, the longer the better (including long reason for sale etc) including grammar and punctuation - Often can be a family emigrating/downsizing and you can get a bargain in good nick. If there's loads of pics, too much information, and the seller is female and has only ever sold stuff like clothes etc and had brilliant feedback, then this bodes well.

Had two utter bargains doing it this way.
  • We bought a car four years ago from the Kingshighway garage in Plumstead and it's been fine. We had a little niggle with the suspension which they fixed without argument as it was in the 6 month warrently period. That garage has been there years so I reckon they are a good bet.
  • Stone said:
    This, especially if you have money on hip in January.
  • We bought a car four years ago from the Kingshighway garage in Plumstead and it's been fine. We had a little niggle with the suspension which they fixed without argument as it was in the 6 month warrently period. That garage has been there years so I reckon they are a good bet.

That garage is now flats/houses
  • As others have said, the longer the ad, the more likely it is to be genuine. If you've got a decent car to sell you'll be happy to provide lots of information and answer questions.
  • What's your realistic budget mate?
  • £500 and it's yours. Buyer collects.
  • Sponsored links:

• Looking at something under £5k......
  • Martin maile car sales, just on the other side of dartford crossing. Really top bloke, guarantees all his cars and chucks in a 3 month parts and labour warranty. Google for his website.
  • Audio A4 tdi is a fantastic car if a common rail engine. The seat Leon also, don't touch any vauxhall, BMW 5 series are good value under 5k if well treated.

You should check out Car Giant. We bought our last two cars from them and had no issues with either. Very good prices. Most cars are ex-fleet lease and have full service histories.
  • Yes I have found Car Giant good too. The price you pay is exactly as says on the screen with no negotiation or haggling required. You can find a model you like and pretty much choose the colour, spec and mileage that you want as have lots of most makes and models.

You should check out Car Giant. We bought our last two cars from them and had no issues with either. Very good prices. Most cars are ex-fleet lease and have full service histories.
    They pretty much go to car auctions, cream off the cars that are easy to move on, give them a good clean and bung £1k on what they paid for them.
    Nowt wrong with that, it's called business, just saying that if you want to outbid them, you will still get a good price, as they need that margin to make the buy/sell process worth while.
  • Totally agree stone.
    Just buy the fleet vehicle that is warranted from auction
  • edited December 2014
    Selling my Fiesta for 2,850

Black
    Mk5 07 plate
    Style 1.2
    39,000 miles
    Black interior
    Mk4 Zetec Alloys
  • I'm in this situation at the minute, terrible with cars so any tips on the pitfalls/what to look out for when viewing a car buying the engine not sounding healthy and it not chucking out smoke etc etc?
  • Sponsored links:

• Depends on the car mate, although anything spewing out smoke is to be avoided, anything with a shit brand of brand new tyres is to be avoided, anything with different brand tyres on each corner is to be avoided. Depending on your budget and
    requirements you can get an enormous amount of used car for your money. 10 year old 5 series BMWs can be picked up for peanuts. 5/ 6 year old Mercs that in my opinion offer unbeatable value for money for under 10k but if you are looking to shop lower than that it is worth looking at the Audi A1 which is an absolute pocket rocket and even the basic ones come stacked with toys  

Next time I am in the market for a nearly new used motor I will di my usual thing if eyeing up a load of large Chelsea tractors before realising they are completely impractical and going for a quattro or e class Mercedes at about 50k on the clock 

• edited May 2019
    Only looking about £3k, not a good end of the market but I put a lot of miles on per year at the moment that it's not worth losing more via depreciation etc.  I'd go lower if they.weren't going to be terrible!
  • I'm in this situation at the minute, terrible with cars so any tips on the pitfalls/what to look out for when viewing a car buying the engine not sounding healthy and it not chucking out smoke etc etc?
    don't buy anything French, designed to break down and you have to go to them for their expensive parts
  • Take a mate with you, ideally one who knows a bit about cars. But take one even if he doesn't, as it will put the brakes on making an emotional rather than practical decision.

Try a look at honestjohn.co.uk - lots of practical tips for car buying whether dealer, private or auction.

Youre at the same end of the market as me - my last car cost £1900 and I've done 85,000 miles in four years with very little needed apart from usual servicing and a steering pump (£250 inc Vat).
    The one before that was £1000 and I got 50k miles from that in five years, so good cars are out there...
    Best of luck

• IdleHans said:
    Take a mate with you, ideally one who knows a bit about cars. But take one even if he doesn't, as it will put the brakes on making an emotional rather than practical decision.

Try a look at honestjohn.co.uk - lots of practical tips for car buying whether dealer, private or auction.

Youre at the same end of the market as me - my last car cost £1900 and I've done 85,000 miles in four years with very little needed apart from usual servicing and a steering pump (£250 inc Vat).
    The one before that was £1000 and I got 50k miles from that in five years, so good cars are out there...
    Best of luck

What car was it out of interest?
  • edited May 2019
    I'd avoid Peugeot and Citroen like the plague, but have had a couple of Renaults in the past and they were really reliable, considering a Megane again, amongst a couple of other makes.
  • Current one is a 2005 diesel x type - a really good car, I'd happily buy another. Good on fuel, adequately fast, comfortable and a good size. Plenty still about though they stopped making them 10 years ago, which tells you something. Mind you, I'm no spring chicken and I've never seen anyone younger than me driving one.

Previous was a Saab 9000 - an even better car in many ways, but soooo heavy on fuel by comparison. 

• edited May 2019
    IdleHans said:
    Current one is a 2005 diesel x type - a really good car, I'd happily buy another. Good on fuel, adequately fast, comfortable and a good size. Plenty still about though they stopped making them 10 years ago, which tells you something. Mind you, I'm no spring chicken and I've never seen anyone younger than me driving one.

Previous was a Saab 9000 - an even better car in many ways, but soooo heavy on fuel by comparison. 

Sadly a bit too juicy on fuel for me, probably looking at a 1.4-1.5 diesel as I do over 100 miles a week and need to keep it down.
  • You can get the likes of AA/RAC to do a check.
    Costs about £80 as a guess.