Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Morgan Fox

Comments

• edited November 2014

Just caught up with this thread.

Really disappointing reading it that it mirrors a lot you hear at the ground.

Sadly all you hear copping the "for f*** sake" abuse is Fox, Cousins, Harriott. Young local lads coming through the academy finding their way in the professional game.

They may well go on and 'not make it' it at this level, but what a shame it won't be because they simply aren't up to it and not because some irate 'fan' is spitting fury calling you a c***.

So disappointing. Greenie, ya boy and othersm you really need a good look at yourselves if you don't mind me saying

I do mind you saying. Need to have a look at ourselves cos we criticised a footballer lol, as I said earlier if he wasn't an academy graduate no one would care. Such weird behaviour from fully grown men getting very protective over someone they don't know. And it's us that need to look at ourselves? I'm not so sure.
  • edited November 2014
    I get paid to do a job. If I under perform I know I will get a bollocking. Why should footballers, young or not, get away with it. I bet Fox earns more than most on here.
  • He didn't do that much wrong but he was the poorest defender on show for both teams, very costly error at the end but he is not deserving of the over reaction that's about to be fall him

This. He was pretty solid going forward. One weak clearance aftet Coquelin got out muscled again and we were punished for it. I'd be more concerned with Igor not making the most of his chances.
  • Just caught up with this thread.

Really disappointing reading it that it mirrors a lot you hear at the ground.

Sadly all you hear copping the "for f*** sake" abuse is Fox, Cousins, Harriott. Young local lads coming through the academy finding their way in the professional game.

They may well go on and 'not make it' it at this level, but what a shame it won't be because they simply aren't up to it and not because some irate 'fan' is spitting fury calling you a c***.

So disappointing. Greenie, ya boy and othersm you really need a good look at yourselves if you don't mind me saying

Bit of an overreaction I would say, the lad's 21 now, he's a fully grown professional in a dog eat dog sport. If he doesn't 'make it' at this level, it's not the fans fault as you seem to be indicating... If every sportsman gave into weakness from the crowd there would be some rather poor boxing fights, football matches, you name it. They're paid handsomely to tackle it all and perform on the pitch.

For me, I'd support potential and young talent if I see it, but I don't see the potential in Morgan Fox, there's a lot better snooping around in our academy but I think Big Bob has thrown Morgan in the deep end and if he pulls him out the non existing confidence, I should imagine, of his will be totally shattered.. Tough decision.
  • se9addick said:

I didn't realise that he's older than Cousins

Yet people don't hesitate to have a go at Cousins. He's older than Harriott too whom also gets his share of stick.

The above observation does not mean that I agree with the criticism Fox has received on this thread by the way.
  • WayneK said:

I get paid to do a job. If I under perform I know I will get a bollocking. Why should footballers, young or not, get away with it. I bet Fox earns more than most on here.

In my job I have some unfortunate people who report into me. If a younger, inexperienced team member does something wrong I won't "bollock" them we'll talk about what went wrong and how it can be avoided in the future - that's far better for their development. If an experienced team member who should know better does the same thing then it would be treated differently (see big bobs comments re TBH after the game).
  • se9addick said:

WayneK said:

In my job I have some unfortunate people who report into me. If a younger, inexperienced team member does something wrong I won't "bollock" them we'll talk about what went wrong and how it can be avoided in the future - that's far better for their development. If an experienced team member who should know better does the same thing then it would be treated differently (see big bobs comments re TBH after the game).
    But what if mistakes keep being made, you'd start to lose your patience a bit, no?
  • edited November 2014
    You can't have it both ways. We want academy players in the team but younger and inexperienced players will make mistakes or lose concentration regardless of how good they are. Look at how Sterling switched off for Liverpool last week when Palace scored. Be patient.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2014
    One or two have called him out Seth but I would like to think the majority who have marked him low in the players marks have taken into account his overall performance. I got to watch him closely from the East Stand in the second half and he really added little going forward dithering on the ball when in possession. Having said that his main job is to defend and yes, I did expect him to clear that ball in the box into row Z which he failed to do and knew it by sinking to his knees and burying his head in his hands. If he plays at Forest I will encourage him but if he makes basic errors I will criticise afterwards and mark accordingly.
  • Well said, Seth.

We can all see that Fox is not yet as accomplished as Wiggins nor has the same pace and ability in attacking positions - but he can tackle, has a tidy passing game and a good team player in that he covers team mates well.

Which was what he was trying to do when TBH went walkabout yesterday.

IMO Fox is generally doing a decent job at LB - and no doubt Peeters thinks so too.
    Which is why he's been picking Fox.

• se9addick said:

se9addick said:

WayneK said:

But what if mistakes keep being made, you'd start to lose your patience a bit, no?
    What is it that keeps on happening ?

Since Fox came into the team this time round (after the Leeds game) he's played three matches. In the Statbank section he's been awarded a 7.25, 6.63 and will probably get 5.5-6 for this game. That isn't my opinion, it isn't yours, it's the collective opinion of people who've been to those games and posted their marks. That doesn't scream that he's completely out of his depth and will never, ever "make it" to me.

I was upset when we lost yesterday, of course I was, and it was a really poor clearance by Fox but there are other, more experienced, player who need to share in the blame too - it seems way to simplistic to put all of the blame on the player who kicked the ball last.
    too simplistic.

You're not on Into The Valley now.

:-)
  • Good post, SE9.

• He had a couple of OK games recently against Reading and Millwall, but he has never stood out for me or shown a particular trait that I feel would add something to the team (ie - Wiggins' pace, Wilson's tenacity etc).

He fills a gap, but has quite an awkward vibe about his play. Doesn't help that he is quite tall and not the quickest.

And no, this isn't a 'scapegoat' attack - as I've never been entirely convinced by him.

And btw, 21 is not 'young' at this level of Football. They're adults who have been playing with adults for 4-5 years.
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

WayneK said:

Since Fox came into the team this time round (after the Leeds game) he's played three matches. In the Statbank section he's been awarded a 7.25, 6.63 and will probably get 5.5-6 for this game. That isn't my opinion, it isn't yours, it's the collective opinion of people who've been to those games and posted their marks. That doesn't scream that he's completely out of his depth and will never, ever "make it" to me.

I was upset when we lost yesterday, of course I was, and it was a really poor clearance by Fox but there are other, more experienced, player who need to share in the blame too - it seems way to simplistic to put all of the blame on the player who kicked the ball last.
    Fulham, he was at fault for one of the goals and you can argue he was at fault for 2 in that game, to be fair.

Obviously I will support him at games. I've supported worse players, but if I want to rant about his piss poor performance, such as yesterday, then I will. Forums are about opinions, just cos mines different to yours doesn't mean I have to take a look at myself, doesn't mean I'm a knuckle dragger and doesn't make me any less of a supporter than anyone else.
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

WayneK said:

Fulham, he was at fault for one of the goals and you can argue he was at fault for 2 in that game, to be fair.

Obviously I will support him at games. I've supported worse players, but if I want to rant about his piss poor performance, such as yesterday, then I will. Forums are about opinions, just cos mines different to yours doesn't mean I have to take a look at myself, doesn't mean I'm a knuckle dragger and doesn't make me any less of a supporter than anyone else.

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

WayneK said:

It wasn't a piss poor performance by him yesterday - just comes across that you've got it in for him. Wiggins has been poor defensively in a few games this season however good he is going forwards - a lot of teams have targetted him.
    His mistake at the end yesterday must have made your day.
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

WayneK said:

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

WayneK said:

It wasn't a piss poor performance by him yesterday - just comes across that you've got it in for him. Wiggins has been poor defensively in a few games this season however good he is going forwards - a lot of teams have targetted him.
    It was a piss poor performance. He was our worst player. His mistake yesterday actually ruined my day. Wound me up no end. Hense the anger that I've showed. Wiggins may have been but I don't think he's lost us a game either. Fault lies with Tal Ben Haim also but that doesn't excuse that pathetic attempt at a clearance.
  • Sponsored links:

• I know, let's not get a new centre forward in January, let's spend all the money on a new Left back, after all I have often read on here, that Wiggins isn't any good either. We all know that the position of LB is the most important one, look at all the brilliant one's we have brought in over the last few seasons. Who needs young academy players when we can bring in the players who have done so well they never seem to play more than half-a-dozen games before being ripped to pieces on these forums.
  • Let's ignore a seasoned pro centre half trying to be messi in the last minute of the game and have a go at a youngster for 1 kick.

TBH was an absolute idiot and does know better. Fox made a mistake and NOW knows better. That's a massive difference.

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

WayneK said:

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

WayneK said:

It was a piss poor performance. He was our worst player. His mistake yesterday actually ruined my day. Wound me up no end. Hense the anger that I've showed. Wiggins may have been but I don't think he's lost us a game either. Fault lies with Tal Ben Haim also but that doesn't excuse that pathetic attempt at a clearance.
  • Morgan Fox, if you're reading this thread, I'd like to apologize for the over the top criticism.
    However, to put it into perspective, it is only a small number of people, so I wouldn't let it bother you.

You had another decent game. Your clearance wasn't great, but it virtually ricocheted off you and you didn't have time to control the ball. It could and will happen to every defender at some point, so carry on the good work and ignore.

Agree with this. It's also fair to say a couple of people have embarrassed themselves on here. We all make mistakes.
  • Nobody had embarrassed themselves. We just have a different opinion than yourself. Is that allowed?
  • Have to say I feel Fox is getting a lot of 'protection' on here because he came through the academy. If he was a loan signing I'm convinced some of you wouldn't be so lenient.

I saw him make his debut (I think) at Sheff Weds in the cup last year and was raving about him. He had a really solid game and didn't look out of place in the starting eleven. This season he hasn't lived up to that hype. Although not writing him off I do feel he is a weakness in our team at the moment. The question is do you drop him? For me it's a no. I'd give him a few more games to see if there's any improvement. Sometimes it's a question or time and confidence and at the moment I think he's running out of both.
  • Saturday was his 20th professional game.