Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Homebrew

edited February 2008 in Not Sports Related
I've happened across a concentrated homebrew lager kit.

Is brewing this as easy as it should be? Has anyone done it before? I'm sure bitter would be better than lager but I have to start somewhere!

What is the scope for making a right mess if things go nipples north?

Will I have to store it in the bath/will it melt through plastic/intestines?

Comments

• I've done it a few times, the first time it was fecking horrible (I think it's what they currently flog in the bugle) the second time it was pretty nice stuff.

It's easy mate, just follow the instructions.
  • That's the problem there ain't no instructions!! And apparenty I need to buy the brewing equipment too!
  • [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Will I have to store it in the bath?

dude dont start bathing in ale, you'll start to smell like the bugle!
  • [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Will I have to store it in the bath?

dude dont start bathing in ale, you'll start to smell like the bugle!

Does the landlord bath in ale then?
  • i would if i were a pub guvnor
  • It's a definite maybe to bathe in ale.
  • To be fair, in theory it sounds great.

I've brewed my own and it was ok. Alright, it was shite - but for some reason you think you've had a result because you've got a shed load of brown liquid mascarading as beer and it hasn't cost much.

Think about it though. If it was that easy nobody woud leave home - well, I wouldn't - so that kinda tells you that proper brew rules. Well worth a punt still, but don't think you're John Smith all of a sudden!
  • Under no illusions there mate! You have hit the nail on the head as to why I want to concoct my own lethal brew, besides that everyone I know who has made some it has been right up there with bilge taste-wise.

I will however endeavour to drink the entire batch
  • Little tip from me then mate - extra sugar.

Depending on when you stick it in - and that's where I always went wrong to be fair - it either turns it into rocket fuel (good) or licorice (bad). Seriously though, have a bash - it's good fun and, as long as it doesn't blow up on you, you will love it like a son (a bit dodgy if truth be told, but it's yours!)
  • Donkeys years back me and me mum made cider from the 3 apple trees in her garden. It was good fun. Put the cider in old leomade bottles. One night siting there there is this explosion ! followed by many others. scared the sh** out of everyone. We hadnt left enough air gap for fermentation and the bottles went all semtex on us !
    Year or so later i came in blotto one night , got up on the Sunday me mum says "u must have been thirsty when u got in ? only u tried to open a bottle of lemonade with ur teath. Only thing was it wasnt lemonade it was the cider !!!!!"They say God looks after drunks and little babies , well he must have been looking after me that nite.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's bottled up and ready to rock an roll cock!

Tastes like a fairly strong premium lager. Fizz is limited but taste is very good.

I predict a messy weekend on this stuff. Rhubarb cider is next, and I'm positiveky moist at the thought
  • i've always fancied doing this but never could be bothered. so let us know how you get on carter. where'd you buy it from
  • [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]It's bottled up and ready to rock an roll cock!

Tastes like a fairly strong premium lager. Fizz is limited but taste is very good.

I predict a messy weekend on this stuff. Rhubarb cider is next, and I'm positiveky moist at the thought

Is it avaialble for purchase?
  • Bring some Sunday
  • [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]where'd you buy it from

thats the beauty tho arf you dont have to buy it yo will be making it!!

(sorry afr couldnt resist!! haha)
  • Mate when u bottle the stuff make sure you have plenty of air gap. If not they go off like hand grenades.
  • Home brew!! Reminders of being a child in the 70's in Newcastle. My dad used to make beer from scratch the house used to stinks of hops and the airing cupboard was full of demi-johns of home brewed beer and wine which occassionaly exploded. Then he discovered geordie home brew
    http://www.geordie-homebrew.co.uk/ which strangely they still make, so assume it is ok
  • Bought the syrup stuff from a little shop in Maidstone, it's all gone and next up is some dark bitter, the rhubarb cider turned into rhubarb wine!

I'll bring some to the Swansea game and save some for an away day. Air gap was left as advised so no explosions
  • I've made a barrels in my time but found it to be a bit hit and miss. My two tips for a better pint are. Make sure you've got a nice warm cupboard or somewhere that it wont be disturbed. Constant fluctuations in temperature are no good for your yeast. Be more patient than I am; I always want to start boozing before its ready.
  • All sorted, brewing conditions are perfect. The last lot was good, hope I improve but it could be a batch of bile! I've not done bitter yet and I'm not much of a bitter drinker so should be able to keep my paws off it until the time is right
  • Sponsored links:

• Shame you cant make your own Rose.
  • Red wine diluted with sainsburys own white. Easy!
  • Dicko, you have about as much class as Chelsea!
  • Class my arse

I'm cultured. I'm sophisticated, I eat cheese and wine for dinner the other night thank you very much poo stalker
  • I have just drawn off the latest batch of dark bitter, I have to say all you real ale nutters would love it.

I'm on my third now and it is going down a storm.

Another batch of bitter is brewing up in the hall although should be a bit lighter then it's cider time!
  • One way of strengthening weak homebrew is to put it in the freezer & take out the ice that forms.
  • sounds nice

bring me a bottle down Saturday to try ;-)
  • I'm in Belgium Saturday mate, will be the first home game I've missed for 3 years.

I've got plenty in storage though and will bring some along before long
  • nice one

Top man
  • Right after the success of the previous batches I have some cider on the go, it's been fermenting for just over a week and coming along nicely. Lessons have been learned and at least this stuff smells better than Gumbo first thing in the morning while it's fermenting unlike the bitters and lager.

A batch of bitter will be going straight in once the cider is siphoned off and barrelled up.

Soon you will all be asking for a pint of 'Dicko's special brew' in your local! ;-)