Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jose Riga

Evening, Blackpool here.

Just to let you know Jose met with a few BFC fans last night, Sky and a couple of national papers present. No doubt it'll be mainly about his time at Pool but you may want to keep an eye out. Check out http://fansonline.net/blackpool/mb/index.php . See you in December. UTP

Comments

• Thanks HSS. Good luck.
  • Move on
  • Thanks for that and good luck. Jose Riga did wonders for us last year. Saved us from the 3rd tier.
  • HSS did you notice the Joses in the crowd when we played you at the end of last season?
  • Think he gave a very dignified reaction to his time at the club from hell, more than most would do. He deserved far better than that from Oyston. Good luck for the future Jose.
  • Sponsored links:

• Saw him on Sky Sports News as I was getting my work bag sorted before leaving.
    Very dignified response. Didn't slag off Oyston and said he'd learned from the experience.
    Only strengthens my respect for the man and i do hope he finds a role to shine in as I really feel he deserves it.
  • If we take into account Blackpool's last 46 Championship games, it emerges that Blackpool have won only four games - as many wins as they have had managers - and taken only 22 points from a possible 138.
    Said it before and I'll say it again. Absolute basket case of a club/owner.

• The amazing thing is that they led the table at the start of last season, Paul Ince was doing wonders as manager and his son was the next big thing in football...
  • The amazing thing is that they led the table at the start of last season, Paul Ince was doing wonders as manager and his son was the next big thing in football...

And that's where it all went wrong

Paul Ince spent so long trying to get the best deal for his son he forgot all about the club he was managing, by the time the sacked him it was to late the slide had begun, they then hired a cheap inexperienced manager who was appalling and barely kept them up. lost all their players in the summer and are now in the position they are in.

IMO If Tom Ince was not at Blackpool or his dad was not his agent I think Blackpool would be in a stronger position now.
  • Kap10 said:

"Quantity prevailed over quality. Riga was forced to welcome in the betes noires of the European game. Nile Ranger, released by Newcastle and Swindon mostly due to poor off-field behaviour, was signed as a free agent. Jacob Mellis, sacked by Chelsea after setting off a smoke grenade at the club's training ground, also joined. In came the Belgian Jonathan Legear, who drove his porsche through a petrol station on a drunken jolly in 2012. El-Hadji Diouf trained with the club"

Well looks lie if Sheff U does not work out there is a home for Ched Evans somewhere.

Not sure if you're joking, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that happen.
  • MrLargo said:

Kap10 said:

"Quantity prevailed over quality. Riga was forced to welcome in the betes noires of the European game. Nile Ranger, released by Newcastle and Swindon mostly due to poor off-field behaviour, was signed as a free agent. Jacob Mellis, sacked by Chelsea after setting off a smoke grenade at the club's training ground, also joined. In came the Belgian Jonathan Legear, who drove his porsche through a petrol station on a drunken jolly in 2012. El-Hadji Diouf trained with the club"

Well looks lie if Sheff U does not work out there is a home for Ched Evans somewhere.

Not sure if you're joking, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that happen.
    I'm not totally sure either!
  • This won't go down well with most but there are some little things which bother me, probably because I recognise them from work.

That wasn't an interview in the sense that most people imagine one. The tell tale signs are the sentence below the Mail version; the fact that the Guardian version is almost identical to the Mail, and the clear indication from that that his agent maintained control of the interview at freak levels. In a normal interview, Daniel Taylor would have asked things like, why didn't you stay on at Charlton, was that anything to do with you walking out of Standard? And did you really not know what kind of reputation Oyston had?

I like what I've seen of Jose Riga, think he did a great job for us, and wish him well. But those things I've mentioned leave me with just a little uneasy feeling. Maybe somewhere there lies the clue as to why RD didn't keep him on. Or maybe not. But that sort of controlled stuff leaves me very wary whenever I come up against it.
  • Prague, maybe the control is there to prevent him from saying something that might ruin his chances when moving on or might give rise to legal action against him?
  • Prague, maybe the control is there to prevent him from saying something that might ruin his chances when moving on or might give rise to legal action against him?

or affect any compromise agreement that may have been reached.

As for his ending with Charlton, he was an interim manager who came to the end of his contract and left, that's what happens.
  • Sponsored links:

• I interpreted the interview as a situation where they didn't want to press him on awkward stuff about Standard or Charlton because the narrative is very much against Oyston. The story they have at the moment is perfect; successful, dignified manager with proven experience in the Championship treated atrociously by owner who skims the clubs money into his own pocket while driving the club into the ground. No need to poke in uncomfortable places when Jose will naturally support that narrative.

Not sure it is that simple, since Jose Riga has shown us he's intelligent, articulate and restrained in live TV interviews. I don't think he needs his agent to tell him when not to put his foot in it.

"Jose Riga appears courtesy of Chris Nathaniel NVA Entertainment Group. Click here for more information"

Sorry, that jarred with me. Just me, I guess.
  • This won't go down well with most but there are some little things which bother me, probably because I recognise them from work.

That wasn't an interview in the sense that most people imagine one. The tell tale signs are the sentence below the Mail version; the fact that the Guardian version is almost identical to the Mail, and the clear indication from that that his agent maintained control of the interview at freak levels. In a normal interview, Daniel Taylor would have asked things like, why didn't you stay on at Charlton, was that anything to do with you walking out of Standard? And did you really not know what kind of reputation Oyston had?

I like what I've seen of Jose Riga, think he did a great job for us, and wish him well. But those things I've mentioned leave me with just a little uneasy feeling. Maybe somewhere there lies the clue as to why RD didn't keep him on. Or maybe not. But that sort of controlled stuff leaves me very wary whenever I come up against it.

I know what you mean, but it's a smart move by Riga isn't it? By controlling not only the message but its manner, he can present a dignified response and isolate himself from the nutcase ramblings of Karl Oyston (who incidentally appears to have been torn a new one by, of all people, Colin Murray on TalkSport this morning). Yes it's classic PR, but it's well judged in my view - he can talk in somewhat detached terms rather than directly address Oyston's criticisms of him and enter a slanging match he can never win.

Oyston has claimed, for example, that Riga approved all the signings. It's clear to most that in reality Riga had no option because he wasn't given one. Oyston claimed that Riga decided not to keep McGahey, whereas in fact he'd not given Riga the option to keep him.

Riga's (or his agent's) arranged a meeting where he can talk in general terms about his experiences about Blackpool, present what he wants but which still provides the invited press - and Blackpool Gazette's absence is of interest - with the angle they need to launch into Oyston. Riga comes out of it with his reputation intact. Everyone's a winner.

And frankly, I couldn't care less if it was staged to the hilt - the Oystons' dreadful ownership of a great and traditional club needs addressing. I heard somewhere that KO was advising the Football League (or is it the FA) on the fit and proper owner's test - if true, you couldn't make it up.
  • Anyone who has worked for AC Milan and the pride of SE London is always going to be classy. Riga has been in the game for 30 years and knows his stuff. Turning this into another Riga vs Peeters discussion adds little value. I really hope Riga lands another job in this country since his work with us surely deserves a chance to straighten out another under performing club.