Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nespresso or Tassimo?

2»

Comments

• Options
    I have a Nespresso but have flirted with the idea of a Tassimo. I may one day by a proper German Italian machine.

Off to make a camomile tea.
  • Options
    DOC64 said:

Tip with Tassimo is don't buy the latte or cappuccino, just buy the espresso and heat your milk separately in the micro. That way you half the price and you are not buying their chemically enhanced milk.

Chemically enhanced milk? We got by with hash cakes in my day.
  • Options
    We have a Tassimo at work. IMHO I've yet to make anything with it that I can't equal or beat with a scoop of good quality coffee grounds and a French Press full of hot water out of the kettle (or in a coffee filter machine if I need to make a batch), all for a fraction of the overall cost, in about the same amount of time and without adding to the waste in my local landfill.

Personally think these gadgets fall firmly under the category of "Stuff the marketing man convinced me I need but actually make bugger all difference to my quality of life, other than to make me a bit poorer."
  • Options
    Despite drinking coffee by the gallon, I've never been tempted to buy any of these types of machine. Apart from the pods being overpriced & overrated, knowing my luck, if I were to buy one, the manufactuers would bring out a new model 6 months later and drinks would stop being made for my machine soon after.

So, for those reasons, I'll stick to the one I've had for about 15 years...........

• Options
    We have a nespresso. The Mrs claims she doesn't now buy expensive coffee when she's out and about instead i get to drop £80 every 4 months or so!

That said its cracking coffee with a lot less time and mess than traditional methods
  • Options
    Prefer PG Tips myself but my wife only drinks coffee. Have been through every type of coffee maker known to man which mostly end up on ebay, including Tassimo but has stuck with Nespresso for two years now. Which report says its crema is superb. Costs around 23p a cup using official capsules online.

Can we have a thread on Orange Pekoe v Darjeeling.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

cafcfan said:

Neither. Freshly ground beans are a must. I use a Siemens machine that does this for me. It cost a fortune but at least I don't have to buy the rip-off pods.

Ah that's where I went wrong. I bought an Italian machine, foolishly thinking that if there was one thing the Italians would do well, it would be espresso machines. But of course its the Germans who make machines that are reliable...
    Haa! Yeah, that would be it. When not in a pub I'm often to be found watching a service engineer trying to fix a Gaggia in a coffee shop and usually failing! I still quite like them but I used to like the Lancia I owned as well. Mind you, you've got to admire those Italians, they design something and then remember that it needs knobs and place them randomly around the machine!

So one of these cluttering up the work surface:

Or one of these, nicely built into what used to be a cupboard under the stairs? No contest really.

• Options
    Forgot to say, it uses 1700w delivering a coffee, so no doubt the EU will be banning it soon.
  • Options
    Mine was a Gaggia, I'm pretty sure.

And I notice that both our Nespresso machines are made by Krups.

I like to keep up with the fiasco surrounding Berlin's new airport to reassure myself that there is at least something that even the Germans can feck up :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nespresso Citiz and Milk, can't go wrong...
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

Neither. Freshly ground beans are a must. I use a Siemens machine that does this for me. It cost a fortune but at least I don't have to buy the rip-off pods.

Ah that's where I went wrong. I bought an Italian machine, foolishly thinking that if there was one thing the Italians would do well, it would be espresso machines. But of course its the Germans who make machines that are reliable...
    Haa! Yeah, that would be it. When not in a pub I'm often to be found watching a service engineer trying to fix a Gaggia in a coffee shop and usually failing! I still quite like them but I used to like the Lancia I owned as well. Mind you, you've got to admire those Italians, they design something and then remember that it needs knobs and place them randomly around the machine!

So one of these cluttering up the work surface:

Or one of these, nicely built into what used to be a cupboard under the stairs? No contest really.

Phwoar
  • Options
    I've got a Kitchenaid one - which allows you to use any coffee you like. Worth the investment.

• Options
    I almost wish I hadn't asked now. I'm more confused than I ever was.
  • Options
    Bialetti electric or manual. Freshly ground coffee, beans from coffee wholesale. Milk frother & carefully chosen syrups and spices, a variety of sprinkles, posh chocpowder, 5 different sizes of cup and a whopping bag of marshmallows. Simple really ;-)