Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Norwich City V Charlton Athletic|Championship|30 September 2014|Preview, Views, News and Line Ups

Norwich City v Charlton Athletic
7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee – Mick Russell (Hertfordshire)

INTRODUCTION
With the fixture lists released every June it is a date that many fans look to for the so called big matches… When will we face the promoted sides? (Well Charlton can straight away tick that one off their list having drawn 1-1 with Wolves, Brentford and Rotherham)... When will we have the local derbies? (That is still to come in November) and when will we play the teams relegated from the League above, the teams that every one instantly want to beat because of the usual “pre-season favourites” tag that come with them – Well on Tuesday night, the Addicks find themselves up against the first of the three sides down from the Premier League last season… in Norwich City.

THE OPPOSITION
After splashing out on a number of Strikers last season (most notably Gary Hooper from Celtic and Rickie Van Wolfswinkel from Sporting Lisbon) the ironic reason for Norwich’s relegation was simply down to the face that they just could score enough goals, and as we all know… Goals win Football matches!!

Fast forward to this season and Norwich have understandably strengthened especially after the departures of such names as Anthony Pilkington (Cardiff), Robert Snodgrass (Hull) and Leroy Fer (Queens Park Rangers), replacing these names was no easy task and incoming to Norfolk were the likes of Lewis Grabban, Gary O’Neil and Cameron Jerome as the Canneries look to bounce back to the top flight at the first attempt.

A strong start has been the result of their Summer Transfer Activity and following a 3-1 win away at Blackpool on Saturday they currently sit at the top of the table, just one defeat has been inflicted on Norwich this season (their very first match away at Wolves) whilst they had the pleasure of bragging rights around East Anglia following a 1-0 derby win against rivals… Ipswich Town.

ONE TO WATCH – NATHAN REDMOND

My Player to watch this week is another England U21 International in pacy winger: Nathan Redmond, already an experienced player used to the Championship, Redmond joined Norwich last season from Birmingham City where he made just over 60-appearances, becoming Birmingham’s second youngest ever debutant at 16 years of age, sadly for the West Midland side, financial troubles meant they’d have to sell their young wonderkid in 2013 to current club Norwich for just £2m (a fee that will rise depending on various clauses).

Upon joined Norwich, Redmond would break straight into the First-Team making 39-appearances for the club whilst scoring one goal (a stat that still remains), following relegation from the Premier League it was expected that Redmond would remain in the Premier League (after reported interested from Stoke City), yet remain in Norfolk he has done and has so far appeared in all Championship fixtures this season.

LINE-UP
Of course we’re back to midweek so the main change should see Joe Gomez replace Chris Solly at Right-Back… Johann Gudmundsson should also be out of the squad following a twisted knee on Saturday against Middlesbrough whilst it’ll remain to see whether George Tucudean deserves a starting berth following an impressive cameo last time out, whilst Academy Youngster: Karlan Ahearne-Grant could once again appear on the bench.

Henderson
Gomez – Ben-Haim – Bikey – Wiggins
Wilson – Buyens – Cousins – Bulot
Tucudean – Vetokele

PREDICTION
Its going to be tough if Charlton want to become the first side to take all three points from Carrow Road, whilst as a Charlton fan you’ll quickly learn that I refuse to predict a Charlton defeat (Even if facing Real Madrid).

Norwich City 1-1 Charlton Athletic

Comments

• Norfolk Yellows 4 - 0 Charlestown Athletes
  • Great preview! Sadly gonna have to go with a 1-0 loss, Norwich look very strong and after disappointing performances from us recently think out first defeat of the season is on the horizon.
  • P.S Enjoyable read. Better than that Irving blokes rubbish ;o)
  • Dazzler21 said:

P.S Enjoyable read. Better than that Irving blokes rubbish ;o)

I agree

another 0 - 0 and cries of "stop messing about at the back and hoof it forward" are heard.
  • Firmly believe we have a lower premier upper championship defence so the chances of a mauling are low, but midfield is def championship quality mid level so I'd go with 1-0 Norwich but don't rule out another 0-0
  • We do love a draw

1-2 to Charlton Vetokele x 2
  • Nice preview. :-)

Sadly can only see a defeat against a strong Norwich side. They have a habit of falling behind, only to come from behind to pick up three points. Charlton HT/Norwich FT could be a good value bet.

Expecting Bob to stick with 4-5-1. Moussa in for Gudmundsson and Gomez in for Solly.
  • i thought Cousins looked good on the right wing. Assume Jackson will be playing,especially as he was taken off early and we will be looking for a point. So 4-4-1-1
    Henderson
    Gomez-Ben Haim-Bikey-Wiggins
    Cousins-Buyens-Jackson-Moussa
    Bulot
    Vetokele
  • House mate at uni is a Norwich fan, going with him but having to sit in the Norwich end.. Praying we don't get spanked, not going to be able to deal with abuse from him..

First chance I've had to go see us for a while, looking forward to it especially as we're playing a good side and will be a test for us.

I'm still sore from when they got promoted at our place, still to this day can't believe we lost that game!

1-1, Jackson for us.
  • Norwich drawn 50% of their home games, CAFC drawn 100% of their away games.

Draw is 7/2 at Bet365.
  • Sponsored links:

• If that's the squad, then I reckon it will be a win to the reds.

If cousins is on the left, And JJ is in the middle then I think we will lose.

I'm going to this so I'm hoping for a good game with us winning.
  • I will be amazed if the predictions do not show 80% home win.

Grabban, Jerome, and Redmond for starters.

I feel the game might be similar to Brighton, but the canaries are more potent up front.

If Norwich score first, we will be forced to come out and will then be vulnerable.

3-1 defeat but please CAFC prove me wrong.

I will be there cheering the boys on and insisting they can win ( you hypocrite sam !)
  • A midweek away victory against the odds. 2-1 Charlton
  • cant see beyond a loss unfortunately 2-0 Norwich (head over heart today) match thread from 7 pm.
  • I will be there! 3-1 to Charlton
  • I’m getting a lift with @Tor. Given their forwards’ form we’re going to have to score at least one, if they shackle Vetokele then it will be a very long night. 2-0 Norwich I think, a late goal in each half.

I notice no one’s been moaning about the £30 tickets for this one.
  • 2-2 draw, Igor & Wilson with our goals, the Wilson equaliser coming in injury time.
  • It's got to be a 4-5-1 formation and I think we might sneak this 0-1 with a late goal.

A rare away trip for me and really looking forward to it.
  • Am I the only one who's noticed the incorrect date on the title? I had to double check that the game wasn't tonight
  • Sponsored links:

• Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • edited September 2014
    NomSoup said:

Am I the only one who's noticed the incorrect date on the title? I had to double check that the game wasn't tonight

Bugger... Apologies for that - Air Con isnt working in my office so really am drowsey at the moment

Corrected now
  • Not often I say this but I fancy a win on the road for the first time this season. Brum at home will be the banana skin.
  • I think this could be our first league defeat 2 - 0 Norwich.
  • I'm feeling a 2-0 win for the addicks and the thoughts of us seriously challenging this year are back in everyones head! Sadly can't make this one, heard Norwich is a great away game though. Hopefully we will play 5 in the middle and not sit to deep, Igor and Jacko to get the goals for us. I'd like to see Bulot start too.
  • I fully expect this to be our first defeat. Tough place to go. 3-1 to Norwich after we take a first half leed.
  • Started off thinking this could get ugly, but being a hopeful kind of chappy, park the bus and hope for a nil one to the good guys.
  • NomSoup said:

Am I the only one who's noticed the incorrect date on the title? I had to double check that the game wasn't tonight

Bugger... Apologies for that - Air Con isnt working in my office so really am drowsey at the moment

MODs can this be amended so not to cause panic for fans going up there?
    Click on the little cog wheel in top right hand corner of the post and then click on "edit". You can change it for 24 hours.

I have never made such a mistake or at least not very often : - )
  • NomSoup said:

MODs can this be amended so not to cause panic for fans going up there?
    Click on the little cog wheel in top right hand corner of the post and then click on "edit". You can change it for 24 hours.

I have never made such a mistake or at least not very often : - )
    Yeah just noticed... Always knew Gary Barlow was a bit of a smart arse ;-)