Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton vs. Boro - Post Match Views - 27/9/2014

Should've edged it in the second half? No cutting edge?

Over to you.

Comments

• Watched on a stream, considering we were all worried pre kick off, thought it was a very encouraging performance.
    looked like very positive tactics.
  • Proverbial game of two halfs. Awful in the first and we were the only team in it in the second half.
    Officials were dreadful
  • Well, I think George deserves to start next game, arguably in Jackson s spot
  • RedMist said:

Well, I think George deserves to start next game, arguably in Jackson s spot

sorry meant cousins in jacksons spot
  • Watched it on the stream, two poor teams neither of which looked like serious threats on goal other then a couple of flashes.

Thought Buyens and Jackson both had poor games but we got the higher percentage of the possession like some fans wanted just a shame we did so little with it, Igor must be getting so frustrated, we are lucky enough to have a goalscorer again but we don't support him.

Still we are 8th & our Huddersfield style unbeaten run continues so no reason to be too negative but can't help feeling frustrated for another game this season.
  • A very positive and encouraging 2nd half against a form team. Could have won it but it`s another point in the bag, a clean sheet and off we go to the league leaders on Tuesday evening.
  • Really enjoyed the last half hour. Would have taken a point at the start, Boro have their tails up (great turnout from them), but could easily have taken all three in the end. Thought Jordan had a very good game. Like the way we play it out from the back. We are a work in progress, but progress there definitely is, and from the comfort of a top half position.
  • Should've won it. All over them in the second half and had the chances to do it. Very solid performance overall though. Loved Bikey today, their fans can jog on deluded miners
  • Sponsored links:

• I thought borough edged the first and we edged the second. His final product might be a bit shakey, but I really like Moussa as a player - looks like he could create something and think he made a difference for us going forward second half.
  • Better second half but still didn't seem to have that much threat to be honest. Jackson really can't consistently start anymore, may come up with the occasional set piece or something but we looked so much better after he was off. Buyens wasn't that much better in fairness but him alongside Cousins is clearly an improvement.

Moussa volley was unlucky as seemed very good technique but would have expected a bit more as they seemed a bit tired after their League Cup game. Still if we come away from Norwich, Watford, Wolves, Derby and Norwich next unbeaten then hopefully we can get back to winning some more games afterwards as the fixture list has been pretty cruel so far.

Any idea on the Johann injury?
  • mascot88 said:

did they get a touch in the last 20 mins... we have a really decent top half championship team this year... Peterrs went for it with JJ off and Gorgeous on.... and it almost paid off hit the post, header off the line, wilson so close at the end ... with what we have he is getting the best out of them for sure... boro knew we had them today and resorted to kicking people, the lead up to the second yellow they hadn't touch the ball for hat seemed like 5 minutes...

Solly looks so so good...

the crowd were going mental, fantastic to hear, totally different vibe to the last few seasons ... for me this is the best charlton team for years and finally we are on the up in a genuine way...

We arent the finished article... to have another decent 15 goal a year striker would be fantastic...

We are close to being very good...

Header off line. Great save by keeper but stats say only one on target.
  • #unbeatablejeff
  • When a knee is involved it can't be good. I reckon he will be out for a while which is such a shame as he can clearly be a big player for us.

Going to turn into a really frustrating stop start cafc career for him.
  • Glad to see positivity re: Johann's knock.
  • Game plan seemed to be to tire them out 1st half and attack last 30 mins. Would explain lack of intent first half .
  • That`s very good news!
  • Sponsored links:

• Game changed when Tucudean came on for Jacko, and Cousins took Jackos place in the middle.

That HAS to be the way to go now. We looked a different team. Gudmundsson would have slotted into that line up perfectly so shame he will be out for a long while now (my guess).

But I think we have the proof of a Jacko less midfield. And for now, let's have Cousins and Buyens in the centre. All the Jacko fans must see it now.

Briefly, I thought the positivity and the way we tried to push on in the second half was excellent. I thought Boro looked organised in the first half, which made it tough with Vet up top on his own. They tired in the 2nd half and I was pleased with the way the team went forward. Hats off to Peeters as well, you can tell he is a positive manager, eg throwing Bikey up at the end.

Agree re: Jackson. Once again, a bit of a passenger. Couple of decent set pieces, but Cousins out wide to accommodate him isn't fair, especially as Moussa looked okay out there as well. I also think TBH could slot in as captain. Give it about an hour though and the blinkered pro Jackson supporters will be out in force. At 5.37pm it's too early on the life of this thread for not have someone jump to his defence.

I'm always grateful for everything he does for this team, but over the last few games we've been overrun a tad, and personally, I think this an area we need addressing
  • We were perhaps a bit unlucky overall but we have had our share of good luck so far this season. Did Bikey deserve a red for an elbow? I thought so.
  • I am w

When a knee is involved it can't be good. I reckon he will be out for a while which is such a shame as he can clearly be a big player for us.

He has just tweeted that injury not as bad as first expected.
    I wonder if that means that he has pretty much walked it off during half time. That's early to have that diagnosis unless it is literally almost ok again. Great news anyway.
  • Agree with comments that we looked better after JJ went off. Thought first half was very poor. Second half we were better, need a target man up top to help Igor asap. Was Bikey a lucky bloke to finish the game?
  • 24 Red said:

We were perhaps a bit unlucky overall but we have had our share of good luck so far this season. Did Bikey deserve a red for an elbow? I thought so.

Think it was a red card and can consider himself lucky to stay on the pitch. Was also unnecessary.

• He hasn't tweeted saying it's not too bad? He tweeted that he hopes it's not too bad and there is a big difference.
  • Bikey def intended to connect with him so very lucky to stay on. Thought the ref was dreadful, worst I've seen for a long time. No idea how the linesman didn't spot Bikey. To be fair, Bamford had a go first which neither official spotted.
  • edited September 2014
    Watched the second half online. Having now watched 3 or 4 games I'm coming around to the opinion that the difference between this season's team and last season's is pretty marginal. We're passing the ball more, but it's all 40 yards plus from goal. I guess it takes time to implement that style.

Vetokele is a live wire but we're still fundamentally lacking in a playmaker behind him, either that or the kind of all action midfielder who will be all over the pitch doing every job. I know I wasn't the only person on here flagging that as an issue in the close season. Players like that are hard to find I guess.

Buyens looks alright but he's more Matt Holland than Mark Kinsella and didn't have a great one today. Jacko is certainly no Andy Reid or Claus Jensen and looks increasingly off the pace these days I'm afraid to say. We have to try cousins next to Buyens next week, but for all Jordan's athleticism, he's not going suddenly start pushing through defence splitting passes left right and centre. Early days for Bulot, but not sure he's offered a great deal yet. JBG looks to be our most creative outlet, but he keeps getting injured.

Still unbeaten but too many draws. I sense the season is at a bit of a fork in the road right now and there's plenty to work on if we are going to make sure we turn in the right direction.
  • When a knee is involved it can't be good. I reckon he will be out for a while which is such a shame as he can clearly be a big player for us.

No he hasn't. He has tweeted he hopes it isn't.
  • I am w

When a knee is involved it can't be good. I reckon he will be out for a while which is such a shame as he can clearly be a big player for us.

I wonder if that means that he has pretty much walked it off during half time. That's early to have that diagnosis unless it is literally almost ok again. Great news anyway.
    I think BP said it was a twisted ankle, not knee, in the post match conf.