Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Public Buses - love em, hate em use em?

According to Campaign for Better Transport
''Buses are more fashionable today than at any time since the mid-1980s after a surge in people returning to work boosted journey numbers by almost 100 million a year.
Passengers in England made 4.7 billion trips by bus in the 12 months to March, the highest total in three decades, according to Government figures released on Tuesday.
In a change from previous years the growth in bus travel was driven not by older people but by fare paying passengers, suggesting a boom in popularity among working people.
Passenger numbers outside the capital increased by 1.5 per cent, the first rise since national free bus travel for older people was introduced in 2008/09, while journeys in London increased by three per cent.
The number of journeys taken in the capital each year has now doubled since the mid-1980s, but this boom has so far been tempered by declining usage across the rest of the country due to rising car ownership.''

So are lifers train obsessed nutters, bus lovers or confirmed cage drivers?

Comments

• I've used a bus about three times in the last few years and each time there has been boxes of fried chicken and chicken bones all over the floor. Disgusting!
  • Not living in London, but when you are an old git and have a bus pass, silly not to use it
  • I've used a bus about three times in the last few years and each time there has been boxes of fried chicken and chicken bones all over the floor. Disgusting!

Hmmmm

My guess

Hmmmm

My guess

132 I think. Can't really remember to be honest.
  • bit boring unless the Peckham Terminator is a passenger
  • What's a bus?

Currently in Barbados. Buses have live chickens running up the aisle. Much further back down the chain.

It amazes me how people can't manage to ride for ten minues on a bus without pulling a buffet out of their bag, then just discarding their crap on the floor. Up until 4 years ago, I was a bus driver. Found plenty of used nappies and crap like that just chucked onto the floor.

Would've been a great job if I didn't have to stop and pick up people.....................
  • edited September 2014
    Why isn't all food banned on public transport in the UK? It is in Hong Kong and buses and trains are all spotless. The tube in London always stinks of burger king.

I never learnt to drive so when I was in the UK I'd take public transport everywhere. I don't think it's necessarily that bad, especially now it links up to smartphone apps and most bus stops have live timetables (don't have this in Hong Kong). When I used to take the 96 to work every day, I could time leaving my house so I wouldn't be stood at the bus stop freezing my arse off.

The worst thing about public transport in the UK is the people. Seen more fights and arguments on buses and trains than I've seen in pubs. N89 back from London on a Saturday night at 2am anyone? I've never understood why so many people in England are like that to each other. Makes life a misery for everyone, though there's not much TFL can do about that.

So for me it's love hate. I like the efficiency but you never know who's going to get on at the next stop and start kicking off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2waIvp265CM
  • edited September 2014
    In singapore food and drink are banned on all public transport. The busses run brilliantly, are clean and they cost nothing.
    I did hear a funny story about a bus in romford last week, a scroat got on and started racially abusing the bus driver not realizing an extremely large black man was sitting at the back. Suffice to say the scroat got quite a pasting and then arrested by the police.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2014
    Chunes said:

Why isn't all food banned on public transport in the UK? It is in Hong Kong and buses and trains are all spotless. The tube in London always stinks of burger king.

I never learnt to drive so when I was in the UK I'd take public transport everywhere. I don't think it's necessarily that bad, especially now it links up to smartphone apps and most bus stops have live timetables (don't have this in Hong Kong). When I used to take the 96 to work every day, I could time leaving my house so I wouldn't be stood at the bus stop freezing my arse off.

The worst thing about public transport in the UK is the people. Seen more fights and arguments on buses and trains than I've seen in pubs. N89 back from London on a Saturday night at 2am anyone? I've never understood why so many people in England are like that to each other. Makes life a misery for everyone, though there's not much TFL can do about that.

So for me it's love hate. I like the efficiency but you never know who's going to get on at the next stop and start kicking off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2waIvp265CM

Funny. Annoying Peckham hipster wannabes filming though.
  • I've not got on a London bus since I used to travel on the 53 & 51 from Plumstead to Woolwich back in the late 1970s.
  • I don't do buses.
  • Haven't used a bus for about 20 years.
  • Have to use them all the time, usually at 5.30 in the morning, as I can confirm that there is no fried chicken on the floor at that time, though I have spotted some loose granola and half a nutrigrain bar before now
  • 261/208 to Lewisham and back each day Monday to Friday.

Screaming kids playing music in the morning.
    Drunks and aforementioned Chicken boxes on the way back

I need to win the lottery!
  • Get the bus to Woolwich for the DLR every day I work... bloody things because kids get on the buses for free and go just one stop
  • Do buses go to places other than my old school then? I did wonder why I saw so many of them
  • In singapore food and drink are banned on all public transport. The busses run brilliantly, are clean and they cost nothing.

Yeah and you can be fined $500 for the use of chewing gum and then there's the mandatory caning for visa overstays.

But as long as the buses run well.....

Nice place though!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2014

In singapore food and drink are banned on all public transport. The busses run brilliantly, are clean and they cost nothing.
    I did hear a funny story about a bus in romford last week, a scroat got on and started racially abusing the bus driver not realizing an extremely large black man was sitting at the back. Suffice to say the scroat got quite a pasting and then arrested by the police.

Dont you get frowned upon and moaned at if you play your music really loud or speak on the phone out that way?

Me and my mum were on the bus the other day and there was this kid playing their music and was so loud you could hear it through the earphones etc... My mum politely turned round asking them to turn it down only to receive a tirade back saying that she was in a public place so could do what she wanted and that it wasnt like she was pracing up and down the bus without earphones in, to which I turned round saying she may as well have been as we could hear the music anyway
  • Use them occasionally in central London and to nip into Bromley town centre.

If you aren't in a rush they are fine and a good way to see parts of town you might not know too well.

Don't seem any dirtier than commuter trains what with all the free papers and coffee cups.
  • cafcfan said:

Yeah and you can be fined $500 for the use of chewing gum and then there's the mandatory caning for visa overstays.

But as long as the buses run well.....

Nice place though!
    Personally I have no issues with Singapore strict rules - they don't Impact me because I am a decent person who doesn't drop litter, graffiti the place overstay on Visa's or generally be anti social.

UK could learn a lot from them especially when it comes to immigration.
  • Even though I have a car I use buses quite a lot and for the most part enjoy doing so. Its certainly a lot less stressful than driving in London these days.

TfL have done quite a good job in making the service fairly reliable and comfortable compared to how they used to be. The new generation of buses are nice to ride on, especially the New Routemasters.

The biggest downside for me: African men who sit on the bus and shout into their mobile phones. Worse than the kids and their music!
  • Am on one now, perfectly civilised, clean. Able to sup my tea and avoid Kingston Hospital's rip-off parking charges.

Ok, some times / routes not always pleasant, but they're really pretty good you know
  • Use buses all the time, sometimes just as quick as tubes or trains if you can get a direct route instead of having to change. And the view from the upper deck sure beats the view of a tube tunnel...
  • Use the 132 occasionally. On one the other lunchtime to Bexleyheath when it stopped by BETHS school in Bexley. About 25 pupils from the school got on. Expecting bedlam for the next few minutes I was very pleasantly surprised at how well mannered and well spoken they were. Well done BETHS.
  • very rarely use them at all these days, pain in the arse they don't take cash anymore I think
  • Have used my bus pass in central London on occasions when I've got time to burn, no real issues. I hate the tube and resent paying taxi time stuck in traffic jams. I went to Peckham once but she would't let me....ouch.
  • Use the 132 occasionally. On one the other lunchtime to Bexleyheath when it stopped by BETHS school in Bexley. About 25 pupils from the school got on. Expecting bedlam for the next few minutes I was very pleasantly surprised at how well mannered and well spoken they were. Well done BETHS.

I wish I could say the same for the Trinity and St Joseph's kids.

Absolute bedlam when they are on the 261 in the morning.

Maybe I'm just getting old?!?