Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Moving Abroad (America or Dublin)

edited September 2014 in Not Sports Related
Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice, as I know quite a few on here have made the jump to moving abroad. My company are speaking with me about moving to either Dublin, Boston or Austin (Texas). I know Boston relatively well, have been there four times already. Its a nice place, but I'm just curious to hear some experiences of other Londoners who have made similar jumps across to America and how they have got on in adjusting, how they made the decision, nightmares/pros/cons etc.

Another opportunity which is being heavily discussed is Dublin. I've been there once before, seemed a nice and vibrant place. Anyone made the same move before?

For those who don't know me that well outside of Charlton Life: I'm 27, no kids/mortgage to worry about. Most of my mates have gone on to settle down with partners or kids or simply have just become boring. So I'm thinking that a change of scenery might do me good, but its still not an easy decision whatsoever to move away from the country where my family and homely surroundings are.

Plus, there is Charlton. How on earth do you cope with not going to Charlton?!

Any tips or advice would be really appreciated.

Comments

• My only tip Tom would be to do it before you settle down.

I wish I had.

Austin is a fantastic place by the way, the people are great and it really is a vibrant, buzzing city.
  • Austin all the way IMO. As Brendan says, a great city. Fantastic bars and restaurants, the GP is in town in November, and to top it all you will get great weather (compared to the other three anyway). Was there in November and it was still 25 degrees.
  • Thanks guys. I've not been to Austin, though I was actually supposed to be out there this week but it has been postponed.

The climate thing wouldn't be a big draw for me as I'm not a fan of the heat whatsoever. I think it is still 37-38 degrees there right now. I also understand that it is a 'driving' town, as in there isn't a great deal of public transport options. I don't have a license unfortunately, which means that Austin is 3rd out of the 3 in my heart and mind at the moment. Still an option I have to consider though.
  • Well then, Boston all the way. Dublin would be too much like living in the UK really.

And as you already know Boston, you will know it is a massive sporting city (if you include the Patriots as well) so that would be my choice.
  • Would echo the comments about Austin, fantastic place and potentially really good quality of life.

However Boston as you know is a great city and that would be my choice. Good location to go and do some weekend travelling up and down the east coast at weekends as well. Dublin will give you all the aggro of moving only to be somewhere very similar to the UK.

Out of interest what do you do for a living if you don't mind me asking? Always wanted to move to America myself one day.
  • Get a license...... You arent really going to get much benefit out of US or Ireland unless you have one. Lived abroad when I was single, and I can thoroughly recommend it. While Boston has a great inner city with Walks, Pubs, Restaurants etc, most people commute from the suburbs by Car.

Don't Know about Austin, but even as an Irishman, I think that Americans, on their own soil, are some of the nicest, friendliest bunch of people I've met. Just dont argue with them about Gun Control and always have an atlas handy so you can point to the general area of the world that you come from.

People in Dublin have had a rough few years after the economy collapsed, and there isnt that same friendliness around that I remember from 80s and 90s.. Saying that, if you create a good bunch of friends around you when you are there, its a massive Party town.
  • I lived in Dublin for six months in 2001 and came back because it was pretty tame compared to London and much smaller.

The cultural difference between the UK and southern Ireland is pretty much accent only, although obviously they have their own laws as an independent state.

Only an hour to fly back to London on a cheap Ryanair flight as well.
  • every texan i've met has had a heart of gold (just dont tell them about your religious or political beliefs) and texas generally was a state i really liked.

Dublin would be my last choice, not much happening there and surprisingly kind of small, for a european capital.

Boston has its issues but, particularly at this time of year, can be very beautiful along with the region of new england.

wish i had your dilemma and good luck with your move!
  • As long as you don't mind searing Heat then Austin would be the place. College town as well so great place to go out
  • I haven't been to Austin, but one of my best mates is from there. Sounds like an awesome place to live.
  • Sponsored links:

• Check out britishexpats.com, loads of useful information that helped us with various moves abroad (although we never lived in the USA, we did live in Ireland, and I would say the USA would be a much more valuable experience)
  • Mate of mine just moved to Austin in last 3 months, absolutely loves it. I moved to New York when I was 24, best thing I ever did, amazing experience, stayed 10 years. Americans get a lot of stick, but I can honestly say they couldn't have been any more pleasant and gracious towards me during my time there.
  • edited September 2014
    Thanks for the contributions guys.
    Lost Red said:

Would echo the comments about Austin, fantastic place and potentially really good quality of life.

However Boston as you know is a great city and that would be my choice. Good location to go and do some weekend travelling up and down the east coast at weekends as well. Dublin will give you all the aggro of moving only to be somewhere very similar to the UK.

Out of interest what do you do for a living if you don't mind me asking? Always wanted to move to America myself one day.

I work for an American software company doing sales/business development. Another major factor to consider is that there are different roles in each of the three cities I am looking at, which doesn't make things any easier to decide.

Boston would be my preference at this stage I think, as I know it quite well. Its just that I think the business' preference is for me to fill the role in Dublin.

What should be an exciting decision is proving to be quite stressful. However, I know that if I don't do something then I may regret it later in life when the chance is gone.

(And how do you get over not watching Charlton live each week?!)
  • Tom, have a chat with hubby, he lived in the States. He would move back instantly but he somehow acquired a criminal record whilst he was there, something to do with racing the police to the stateline whilst driving a Chevvy.
    I wouldn't suggest you do the same, but make the money and then move back if you have to/ want to. Love to you all x
  • @stilladdicted Will do :)

@Chunes Deep down I know you are 100% spot on. I think the biggest thing on my mind is the actual role I take. As I said they are all different from each other.

Whatever happens, I'll make sure I'm back to see us in the Playoff Final!
  • Not personally moved Tom, but my sister moved to Dublin 2 years ago and loves it. She was 28 and a bit apprehensive but she has met great people and doesn't want to come back. Every time i visit her it's enjoyable, the area is quite small in comparison but the people make it.

Although saying that, I visited Boston a couple of years ago and would do anything to get a job and settle there, superb city.

Stressful decision but i'm very envious!

Good luck and go for it!
  • Yeah wot Chunes said.

I was 29 when I moved to Switzerland. It was a bit difficult and intimidating at first but I am glad I have experienced working somewhere else.

I have been on work assignments to both Austin and Boston. I think you would love Boston Tom, your acerbic wit is made for that City ;)

Don't let the lack of a.driving licence put you off. It is something you could do in 2 weeks in England on an intensive course before you moved.

Go for it Tom
  • You might be better getting your licence over there (US), absolute piece of ****. If you can put the key in the door lock you've passed. A mate of mine failed 6 times over here when he was younger, moved to the US on a football scholarship and passed immediately....20 years later he still lives there and is still a terrible driver.
  • Sponsored links:

• You're young and unattached. Just go for it Tom, dad will always be your fail safe and now is possibly the only time in your life where you can do what YOU want. That kind of freedom won't come round again until you're oldish gits like us. Even if it turns out to be a mistake, you can still come home. The world's yer lobster, don't miss this wonderful opportunity x
  • Do it !
    You wont ever regret it.
    However, US wil change you forever - Dublin would just be like an extension of what you currently have.
    If you can, go to US, and Austin as first choice.
  • edited September 2014
    100% do it.

Great opportunity for you. Austin is the way to go.
  • Wouldn't leave London for Dublin under any circumstances. Go US mate.
  • From what's been said I've more than a feeling it's Boston ...
  • Boston is a fun city with a number of good restaurants, pubs. Great scenery in New England and decent areas to live within the city. However, it is very parochial and I've known certain people who found it hard to fit in culturally as they are a little wary of outsiders. I lived there for 5 years and enjoyed it tremendously but winters can be quite brutal with all the snow. Unless you live in NYC, I would recommend getting a drivers license as you will probably need it
  • if you're only going for a limiting number of years, then I'd definitely go to the states and probably austin. if you're a gregarious guy you'll soon make friends and you'll have a great time, experience and as you're going with your company, a job to come back to assuming you want too!!

take a break from the reds and you'll be amazed at how young, people will say you look!
  • _MrDick said:

From what's been said I've more than a feeling it's Boston ...

Badum!
  • Boston all the way, amazing city, amazing location, amazing American football team