Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Reclaim The Antigallican ?

edited September 2014 in General Charlton
Hi all, havn't posted on here for a while but have followed everything with interest throughout the changes made over the past year or so.

Just talking to Nicholas about the Anitgallican, wondered how many people would actually like to see it be a 'Charlton Only' pub pre match ?

Who decides ? is it the police or could things shift if Charlton fans started going in there in numbers pre match, or would we be turned away.

Games like Watford, Derby, Forest, Wolves who are going to bring 2,000, are the away fans being told to go there or has it just become traditional and accepted ?

With so many positive things happening on the pitch this season, the two things I would like to see change to complete the perfect match day experience would be away fans out of the JSS and The Antigallican, I can't think of one other away ground where we would be given a pub like that so close to the ground.

Comments

• Think this was aired a few years back and was a no no from the OB.
  • I agree entirely
    No chance at all.
    We are Charlton, we have no say in the matter, all police/council decision I pressume

• Out of the station and into the pub - out of the pub and into the ground. It makes life so easy for the police it's hard to imagine them wanting to change it.
  • The Police decide. The landlord wants it Charlton only, but the OB are having none of it.
  • edited September 2014
    I just think from a proper football perspective that at any away ground we went to we would walk past a pub like that a feel a bit of intimidation, its position makes it a bit of a castle and should be a home pub. I'm not saying for one minute perish the thought that we intimidate away fans :) but would be so much better if the coaches dropped them down at Clancys out the way and anyone coming in by train will just have to walk down there (past our castle) ...like we would have to at any other ground.
  • The Police decide. The landlord wants it Charlton only, but the OB are having none of it.

Surely we can stick away fans in the Makro car park, get landlord to a can only service from a couple of paste tables £2 a can

Job done sorted ;-)

• Plastic glasses, crap pints, rough pub.

No thanks!

Rose Of Denmark for me
  • Sponsored links:

• Yet another example of how much more civilised we are as a club that away fans are made to feel so welcome and given such a convenient place to drink! Anything else we can arrange to distract them from actually going to the game and making a noise?
  • edited September 2014
    Choice said:

Hi all, havn't posted on here for a while but have followed everything with interest throughout the changes made over the past year or so.

Just talking to Nicholas about the Anitgallican, wondered how many people would actually like to see it be a 'Charlton Only' pub pre match ?

Who decides ? is it the police or could things shift if Charlton fans started going in there in numbers pre match, or would we be turned away.

Games like Watford, Derby, Forest, Wolves who are going to bring 2,000, are the away fans being told to go there or has it just become traditional and accepted ?

With so many positive things happening on the pitch this season, the two things I would like to see change to complete the perfect match day experience would be away fans out of the JSS and The Antigallican, I can't think of one other away ground where we would be given a pub like that so close to the ground.

You can only ask the Police if they would reconsider moving them all to a different pub but from a safety point of view it's easier for them to control the away fans by placing in a pub near the station, near to the coach drop off points.

Nothing has changed in a few years but give them a call on the link below if you are that passionate about reclaiming the "Castle"

http://content.met.police.uk/Team/Greenwich/Charlton
  • Other than Millwall & Palace along with a few known others (Leeds etc) would it really be a big deal if Charlton and opposition supporters drank in the same places ?

The best away games are when you're in a mixed pub and you get to chat to the supporters of that team and learn a bit more about their side/their players/their history.
  • edited September 2014
    se9addick said:

Other than Millwall & Palace along with a few known others (Leeds etc) would it really be a big deal if Charlton and opposition supporters drank in the same places ?

The best away games are when you're in a mixed pub and you get to chat to the supporters of that team and learn a bit more about their side/their players/their history.

Agreed, a bit like backpacking and meeting people on the journey ... nothing wrong with a bit of banter too, its all about the match day experience

Millwall don't get to drink in a pub pre match at our place though, come to think of it neither do we (legally) ;)
  • Choice said:

I just think from a proper football perspective that at any away ground we went to we would walk past a pub like that a feel a bit of intimidation...

I can't help but think that this is exactly the sort of reason the police would want things kept just as they are.
  • So if for example 100 Charlton fans started drinking in the Anti at 5pm tonight, would the OB come in and kick us all out when Wolves arrive ?
  • I quite like the fact that we make the away supporters feel welcome and they have somewhere especially for them to go. When we eventually get back to the premier league it will be even more important to give them somewhere to go as the number of supporters will be much larger. The situation has just become a little harder for home supporters over the last few years with so many other bars closing.
  • Most away fans if coming by train will drink at London Bridge anyway, but the Anti is perfectly located for an away pub, and I have no particular desire to go in it anyway!
  • edited September 2014
    Would love to see something happen with the Horse and Groom again, if every Charlton fan put in some money we could all have shares in the place and be the only supporters in England to own their own pre match pub. Is there anyone on here thats been in the trade who knows how much a venture like this could cost ?
  • Choice said:

So if for example 100 Charlton fans started drinking in the Anti at 5pm tonight, would the OB come in and kick us all out when Wolves arrive ?

Thing is why would 100 Charlton fans start drinking in the Anti tonight? For what purpose?

Is it such a great pub? No, as far as I've been told.

Is it near the ground? Not as close as the Oak, same as the Lib, a little bit close than the Rose

Do I care about "intimidating" the away fans? No. If those 100 are then that's their problem.

Is there another local pub for them to use? No

Just seems a big nothing issue IMHO
  • Sponsored links:

• The Lib is home fans only now.
  • Choice said:

So if for example 100 Charlton fans started drinking in the Anti at 5pm tonight, would the OB come in and kick us all out when Wolves arrive ?

Probably.

Surprised that the Landlord would want to make it a home fans pub, there are quite f ew pubs where home fans drink and are loyal to those pubs, mine is the ROD, so there is a chance he would reduce the number of customers on a match day with the away fans banned. It is nearly always full so I would imagine he would lose business.
  • Choice said:

Thing is why would 100 Charlton fans start drinking in the Anti tonight? For what purpose?
    just wondered what the stance would be if it happened ...was only an example

• Had a drink in there at the weekend with a Watford supporting mate. Changed a bit since the last time i went in there sometime in the early 00's. Was pleasantly surprised. But honestly not something i'd lose sleep over.

Still prefer to drink away from the immediate area to the ground
  • bet the landlord makes more money out of it being an away pub than he would if it were a home pub....used to drink in there when we first went back and it was a dump, looks like it's been done up a bit but realistically how many home fans would actually use it
  • It's all bollocks really. You can drink in there if you want no problem. The decision point will come with the OB with what they'd do if those on their risk radar start trying to drink in there.

Even so, I'm really not sure how they can enforce telling a business owner who can and who cannot drink in there.

If Charlton fans 'retook' the Anti, then all that would happen is the Rose, or the Lib, or The Bugle would become more of an away fan populated pub.

Charlton is the ONLY ground in London where there is an accepted, designated away fans pub. Every where else seems to cope ok....
  • why can away fans not drink in the ground
  • Traditional for a pub to be allocated to away fans. If I travel to an area and spend a lot of money why would I want to just go to the ground then leave? There has to be an away pub, it has to be near the ground/station. It's a non issue that keeps coming back.
  • Kap10 said:

Choice said:

Probably.

Surprised that the Landlord would want to make it a home fans pub, there are quite f ew pubs where home fans drink and are loyal to those pubs, mine is the ROD, so there is a chance he would reduce the number of customers on a match day with the away fans banned. It is nearly always full so I would imagine he would lose business.
    I'm surprised to hear that as well. The landlord was taking £7k on a matchday when we were in the Prem. He used to post up an advert on away supporters' message boards a few weeks before they were due at the Valley, promoting the pub and the hotel rooms upstairs. Takings won't be as consistently high these days, but still think he'd do better from away supporters than home.

Don't understand the fuss anyway. I went in there for the first time in years when we played Blackburn last season - sticky floored dump playing weird dance music. It felt like the sort of place you'd find in Blackpool, set up to cater for people who are so high that they want to go clubbing at lunchtime. Away fans are welcome to it.
  • As a Charlton supporter, but not wearing a Charlton shirt, I often go in there on Match days; I did last Saturday. The reason I go in there is that the service is excellent; never, ever have to wait to get served. I often chat to away fans and have never felt intimidated whilst in the pub.

I don't know however if I would be allowed entry if I was wearing a Charlton shirt.