Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Madrid derby

Looking forward to this tomorrow night.

What a season last year for Atlético to win the league on a relatively shoe-string budget up against Real and Barca.

Despite losing Diego Costa, David Villa, Felipe Luis and Courtios they have kept the core of the team and bought well in Griezmann and Mandzukic.

Can they rough up Real's Galacticos again?

Comments

• I've seen nothing of him, but the main reason I'm not sure Atletico can repeat is the goalkeeper replacement for possibly the best in the world in Courtois. Griezmann is an incredible signing for them though and when they get Arda Turan back they could score more than they did last season just not sure they will be as good defensively. They clearly have the most cohesive team still and despite Kroos being a bargain I really think Rodriguez for Di Maria will turn out to be a detriment to Real.
  • Hoping Atlético can do it again, but that's a lot of talent to lose over the summer.

Off-topic...How do the locals feel about the "Referendum Derby"? Barca and Bilbao wearing kits representing the Catalan & Basque flag colours respectively?
  • @hudson-son-son There is no question as to who is the best GK in the world and it aint Courtois.
  • edited September 2014
    Yesterday was 'Catalunya day' (even the spelling is highly politicised) so Barca were bound to wear the away kit in the design of the Senyera. The Nou Camp will no doubt have an amazing mosaic of yellow and red before the game - it will look great.

Most madrileños, in their typically haughty way, find the whole Catalan independence question just silly, and at worst an irritance. The constitution states there can never be any secession, which is the general consensus in Madrid. In reality the two cities are world's apart.

Currently reading Sid Lowe's 'Fear and Loathing in La Liga' which gives a brilliant sociological context to the rivalry both on and off the field.
  • @hudson-son-son There is no question as to who is the best GK in the world and it aint Courtois.

Pope?
  • edited September 2014
    The surprise is they have spent more than they have received despite the money they got from Costa and Felipe

And they matched Real in the 1st leg of Super Cup and was very much in control of the 2nd leg, but that had a lot to do with James being played where Xabi Alonso normally plays

Pope?
    Don't be silly. You know very well who I mean.

• Yesterday was 'Catalunya day' (even the spelling is highly politicised) so Barca were bound to wear the away kit in the design of the Senyera. The Nou Camp will no doubt have an amazing mosaic of yellow and red before the game - it will look great.

Most madrileños, in their typically haughty way, find the whole Catalan independence question just silly, and at worst an irritance. The constitution states there can never be any secession, which is the general consensus in Madrid. In reality the two cities are world's apart.

Currently reading Sid Lowe's 'Fear and Loathing in La Liga' which gives a brilliant sociological context to the rivalry both on and off the field.

Thanks CM...will look out for Sid Lowe's book.
  • http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/gareth-bale-exclusive-interview-i-would-encourage-any-british-player-to-move-abroad-says-the-welshman-9730553.html

An interesting interview with Gareth Bale, who comes across very well. Shame it doesn't develop the point in the headline further.

• This time last week Atletico had only sold 30 tickets. They really don't do away days in Spain do they?!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2014
    cafctom said:

This time last week Atletico had only sold 30 tickets. They really don't do away days in Spain do they?!

at 70 euros a ticket I am not surprised lol
    cant believe they only got 250 tickets from Real Madrid
  • Those 250 fans will make more noise than all the Real fans combined though!
  • 1-0 Atletico Tiago from a corner
  • Great smash and grab tactics from Atlético!
  • 1-1 Ronaldo Pen
  • Can't handle Ronaldo's pace as usual. First a free-kick and then a pen.
  • 1-2 Atletico Turan
  • Real are an amazing collection of individuals but not a team. Atlético are the opposite - no big 'stars' but a strong and cohesive unit. This match showed the difference perfectly.
  • Watched this last night in a local bar here in Murcia. CM summed it up above, with Atlético by far the better "team". Very happy they got the winner as I wasn't at all convinced about Ronaldo's penalty...quite a few locals making diving motions in the bar!
  • Atletico have been absolutely incredible today, 3-0 up. The work rate is outstanding but also the forward play by Griezmann and Turan
  • Sponsored links:

• 4-0 now, great ball by Torres.
  • One of the best performances i've seen for a long time. Atletico were at them right from the 1st minute, Real didn't have a single shot on target.
  • edited February 2015
    Ronaldo might as well have had another game added to his ban this afternoon. Invisible. Atletico are such a good side these days, fair play to them.
  • Atlético absolutely battered Real and didn't give them a moment's breath. Simeone gets them so pumped up and they took it straight to Real from the off. Really impressive stuff. Can't wait to take the piss out of the Real supporting kids at my school Monday morning.
  • Madrid derby tonight, with the added spice of it being the last one at the famous old Vicente Calderon before Atletico move across the city to La Peineta.

Will be hoping Atletico can do it tonight but Real have been looking very good so far this season. Thoughts or predictions?
  • 2-1 to Real, Ronaldo hasn't really kicked into life yet this season but their team is formidable at the moment.
  • Madrid derby tonight, with the added spice of it being the last one at the famous old Vicente Calderon before Atletico move across the city to La Peineta.

Will be hoping Atletico can do it tonight but Real have been looking very good so far this season. Thoughts or predictions?

Why are they moving? The Calderon is an amazing stadium.
  • VC is the only Spanish ground I've seen a game in. A relegation 6 pointer v Rayo Vallecano in the mid 90s. My 'seat' was a concrete bench with lines drawn on. Shit game, good atmosphere, though the lack of away fans was very odd.
  • Very similar to West Ham - have sold the land to the council and moving into what would have been the Olympic stadium, if Madrid had actually got it!
  • ChiAddick said:

Madrid derby tonight, with the added spice of it being the last one at the famous old Vicente Calderon before Atletico move across the city to La Peineta.

Why are they moving? The Calderon is an amazing stadium.
    They can't really expand the Calderon. There's a river on one side, houses on the other and a motorway running underneath one of the stands.