Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sound Bar help

Just went purchased new furniture for the living room including a new TV stand its only just dawned on me that the Amp may not fit the gaps and due to the length of it the speakers i have wont fit either side of the gap its in.

So was looking at a sound bar, needless say as ever i want a cheap one. As after buying the furniture a new 3 pce and spent double what i expected on a new carpet funds are low, unless i come up trumps on the outstanding PPI claim i have in.

So anyone recommend a decent sounding one at a decent price

Comments

• Got a Phillips one from Tesco direct very good £75 dont ask me the specs though
  • I have this one
    amazon.co.uk/LG-NB3530A-Wireless-Bluetooth-Connectivity/dp/B00CBDPTI2/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1410093495&sr=1-2&keywords=lg+sound+bar

Not sure what you class as cheap but this is perfect for me, has bluetooth as well so I can use spotify etc. from my phone and tablet, I rarely use my hi fi now.
  • edited September 2014
    I bought a cheap one - Samsung ( £100 ) and it was rubbish. I think with things like Soundbars you really do need to buy quality.
  • colthe3rd said:

I have this one
    amazon.co.uk/LG-NB3530A-Wireless-Bluetooth-Connectivity/dp/B00CBDPTI2/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1410093495&sr=1-2&keywords=lg+sound+bar

Not sure what you class as cheap but this is perfect for me, has bluetooth as well so I can use spotify etc. from my phone and tablet, I rarely use my hi fi now.

I've got that - very nice one
  • What's a soundbar?
  • Get the one with the biggest remote control. Ours is tiny and gets lost all the time, really annoys me
  • Was looking at getting a sound plate, having to convince Mrs GA, what chance have I got when she doesn't see the difference between SD & HD.
  • rina said:

Get the one with the biggest remote control. Ours is tiny and gets lost all the time, really annoys me

Ours is currently AWOL.

Most exercise I've had for ages.

• Cancel the TV stand and buy something the right size.
    Sound bars are compromise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Samsung HW-H750 320W Wireless Sound Bar System for Home Theatre
    Works well for us....
  • edited September 2014
    Not very helpful I know but the discussion reminded me of the following from a long, long time ago.......at the time I though it was very funny and I hope it ages well. For 'Gramaphone' read 'Sound Bar'.

http://youtu.be/TxQqWSnsHoA
  • Was looking at getting a sound plate, having to convince Mrs GA, what chance have I got when she doesn't see the difference between SD & HD.

Somewhere between none and snowflake in hell?
  • My experience of this issue as generally that you are getting a sound bar to improve the sound your TV puts out, so with that in mind be prepared to spend £250 upward
  • Sorry for the re-introduction of this topic. My old dears, who both use hearing aids have been persuaded to consider adding a soundbar to their Sony flatscreen telly. Has anyone experience with soundbars suitable for hearing aid users?
  • Pardon?
  • edited June 2018
    I have bought 3 sound bars over the years (in Canada mind)....The best by a country mile for me is the small BOSE sound bar. It does not have/need a base box. Knocks sony and phillips out of the park with way less wires and mess.
  • I know some of the sound bars have the various options to tweak the audio, but whether that'll be sufficient to overcome their impairment is not really something you'd be able to tell without them actually trying it out. If you do decide to go down that route, get it from Argos or John Lewis, and make use of their 30 day no quibble returns policy so they can try it out on a variety of shows to see if they're really getting the benefit of it. Unpack it as if you're certain that you're going to be returning it, so take care opening the packaging, and put it all in a bag with the receipt clipped to it for safe keeping until they've made a decision as to whether it's a viable solution for them or not.

I think a lot's going to depend on the extent of their hearing impairment and what type of hearing aids they've got. If one of them has significantly more impairment than the other, wireless headphones might be a better option, as that means they'll be able to set their own volume levels on the headphones (if you go down this route, make sure you label them, so Mum doesn't jump out of her skin if she puts on Dad's headphones, or vice versa). That said, they do rather limit your ability to have conversations unless doing the DJ thing of having one ear on and one off is practical. Also, if their aids are fairly bog standard ones that work with the T-loop technology that theatres, cinemas etc use, then they might be better off getting a home loop system instead. Alternatively, according to Action On Hearing Loss, with some of the newer types of hearing aid you can get a streamer that sends the audio direct to it, but they aren't necessarily cross compatible across manufacturers, so how viable that is will depend on what model of hearing aids they have.
  • edited June 2018
    addickson said:

Sorry for the re-introduction of this topic. My old dears, who both use hearing aids have been persuaded to consider adding a soundbar to their Sony flatscreen telly. Has anyone experience with soundbars suitable for hearing aid users?

The Bose Solo 5 is excellent. A compact, all in one unit that really brings out the detail in sound. Perfect for enhancing tv's with highly average sound.