Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mike Ashley and the Ibrox Stadium

Apparently, not content with screwing over Newcastle, Mike Ashley bought the naming rights to Ibrox Stadium for £1 a couple of years back. How many pies will that guy get his fat fingers into?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29058834

Comments

• A very unlikeable man but he's definitely a very shrewd unlikeable man.
  • Could sell it to Green Giant, Greenpeace, Green Flag, Heinz Spaghetti Hoops or Footlockers House of Hoops
  • An utter, utter c*nt and a cheapskate but a very clever businessman as his bank account would probably show.
  • How did he buy that for £1?! Cheeky git!
  • Singlehandedly killed off independent sports shops
  • Nug said:

Singlehandedly killed off independent sports shops

How on earth I don't know as his shops are full of absolute shit.

The St Mary Cray store does a roaring trade ;)
  • Nug said:

bought a bunch of suppliers, then ramped up the price to other stores whilst cutting prices to his own.
  • There is no real sports kit in there though - lots of vests and Lonsdale track suits.

Good independent sports shops should still do well.
  • Can someone explain why he's a c&@t etc?! (Other then appointing Pardew as manager)

I don't know the full details but freddy Shepard put Newcastle nearly 80 million in debt and when Ashley took said that the club was still paying players wages etc

He's managed/ cleared a lot of the debt and got Newcastle back into the prem, guess he's stabled their club

Obviously a good businessman

• Sponsored links:

• Gumbo said:

Can someone explain why he's a c&@t etc?! (Other then appointing Pardew as manager)

I don't know the full details but freddy Shepard put Newcastle nearly 80 million in debt and when Ashley took said that the club was still paying players wages etc

He's managed/ cleared a lot of the debt and got Newcastle back into the prem, guess he's stabled their club

Obviously a good businessman

as i said, he bought up all the sportswear suppliers (dunlop, reebok, slazenger etc) and drove up the prices to other small businesses and slashed them for sports direct (thus the perpetual 70% off stickers on everything). He treats his employees like criminals and is generally unlikeable as a person. As a businessman he's very shrewd and is why he's so damn rich.
  • No different to Tesco etc really

I heard that he owns LillyWhites and gave the all the works a share of 100k bonus a few years back, might be a load of bull tho
  • Gumbo said:

No different to Tesco etc really

I heard that he owns LillyWhites and gave the all the works a share of 100k bonus a few years back, might be a load of bull tho

tesco pay their employees a lot more and treat them with more respect than Sports Direct do, let me assure you.
  • Brief excerpt from article last year. He even set up free stockbroking service if staff wanted to sell shares.

2,000 Sports Direct staff to receive £100,000 bonus after record profits
    Workers hit the jackpot after profits soar 40% to £200m, as sports retailer reaps benefits of 2012's summer of sport

Sports Direct now sells more than one in every four pairs of trainers in the UK. Photograph: Mark Richardson/Alamy
    Simon Neville
    Thursday 18 July 2013 22.17 BST

More than 2,000 shop floor staff at Sports Direct are set for a life-changing windfall after record profits at the fast-growing, cheap-and-cheerful chain triggered a bonus payout that will see workers who earn £20,000 a year banking payouts of £100,000 each.

While six-figure bonuses are usually reserved for executives, the UK's biggest sports retailer set up its bonus scheme back in 2009 for any full-time staff, from stockroom to the boardroom, who had worked for the company for a year and stayed for a further four. Since then the retailer's fortunes – and its share price – have been transformed and the workers have hit the jackpot.
  • Sounds like a right tyrant

I've never really got the hatred for him
  • I have only one question about Sports Direct, has anyone ever bought one of their bags when you get a free one anyway? I never cease to be amazed at the vigour with which they try to sell something that I've not even the slightest interest in.
  • Carter said:

Sounds like a right tyrant

I've never really got the hatred for him

With regard to Newcastle neither have I, seems like he has pumped a shitload of cash into the team and all he has really done wrong is make the odd unpopular managerial sacking.

I mean, when have Newcastle ever (apart from a brief period in the mid 90s under Keegan/Dalglish) ever been anything more than a mid-table Premier League side?
  • MrOneLung said:

Brief excerpt from article last year. He even set up free stockbroking service if staff wanted to sell shares.

2,000 Sports Direct staff to receive £100,000 bonus after record profits
    Workers hit the jackpot after profits soar 40% to £200m, as sports retailer reaps benefits of 2012's summer of sport

Sports Direct now sells more than one in every four pairs of trainers in the UK. Photograph: Mark Richardson/Alamy
    Simon Neville
    Thursday 18 July 2013 22.17 BST

More than 2,000 shop floor staff at Sports Direct are set for a life-changing windfall after record profits at the fast-growing, cheap-and-cheerful chain triggered a bonus payout that will see workers who earn £20,000 a year banking payouts of £100,000 each.

While six-figure bonuses are usually reserved for executives, the UK's biggest sports retailer set up its bonus scheme back in 2009 for any full-time staff, from stockroom to the boardroom, who had worked for the company for a year and stayed for a further four. Since then the retailer's fortunes – and its share price – have been transformed and the workers have hit the jackpot.

so only the managers and area managers then? Delighted for my old manager there who was a good bloke and been there for years if he stuck around long enough to get that 100k. Good for him. Still doesn't mean the average store employees get treated like shit. Unless it's somehow transformed from 4 years ago.
  • None of the zero hour contract people got bonuses though, if I understand it correctly. Which is most of them?

What protection we have is slowly but surely being taken away. Don't get me wrong, I'd vote Labour tomorrow but I know the same people would be pulling the strings. Properly depressing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Gumbo said:

No different to Tesco etc really

tesco pay their employees a lot more and treat them with more respect than Sports Direct do, let me assure you.
    I meant Tesco pushing small business out, but I understand your point
  • I wonder who owns the naming rights to the The Valley ? Im sure one day we could be going to the Leffe arena
  • I wonder who owns the naming rights to the The Valley ? Im sure one day we could be going to the Leffe arena

The Stella Artois Valley.
  • If independent sports retailers were planning on selling Dunlop and Slazenger then they wouldn't last long anyway.

Bad clobber.
  • ozaddick said:

Nug said:

The St Mary Cray store does a roaring trade ;)
    Same in Hastings do some market re search ,chav area ,sorted.
  • Put it like this, if you want decent trainers or decent say boxing gear I wouldn't go near sports direct.

If you are after stuff for the gym or a set of gloves and pads to get you started then 100% use sports direct. Or shit trainers/boots for work then they are good.

You decide you want to have a go at swinging a golf club, why spend thousands on ping clubs when you can get a full set for just over a ton from there.

Besides, independent sports shops were selling shit for years before jjb and mike ashley came along
  • If independent sports retailers were planning on selling Dunlop and Slazenger then they wouldn't last long anyway.

Bad clobber.

Funny thing is it's only since they've become synonomous with Sports Direct that they're considered bad, same for Lonsdale. They were all decent brands pre Sports Direct. He also goes in to someone like Adidas asks what they can't get rid of. They say these trainers ain't selling too well, and we've got a million of them. He says I'll give you £2 a pair, they're delighted to be shot of them, he can sell them for a tenner...bargain, meanwhile local sports shop probably paid £15 for them from Adidas and can't get rid of them.
  • Nug said:

Lilywhites (owned by Mr Ashley) on Piccadilly Circus were selling Charlton shirts last year.
  • I think people are just jealous that's he's rich and made it look easy.

na. Even if he was poor and I met him he would still come across as a complete c*nt. he just has one of those faces where you just know.