Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Joe Gomez linked with Liverpool and Newcastle

Worthy of a thread of its own.

Couple of media / web rumours on this this morning.

Noticed he wasn't in the squad on Sat.

I think I might actually cry if this happened today.

Comments

• I'd rather he went now and we got some money than him seeing out his contract and going for free.
  • I would be surprised as we seem to have settled numbers at the back. Guess we would likely get him back on loan if the worst happened though.
  • Yes that's fine he can leave

For £15m and Suso on loan for a year ;-)
  • I'd be happy for him to do a Zaha. We get a ridiculously inflated fee for selling him and then he comes back to play for us anyway.
  • Rizzo said:

I'd be happy for him to do a Zaha. We get a ridiculously inflated fee for selling him and then he comes back to play for us anyway.

I've got more faith in Gomez's ability, potential and attitude than Zaha.
  • He did travel with the team Saturday.
  • Would only sell for ridiculous money other than that they jog on. I'm sure he ain't going anywhere. More chances to play for us with solly not able to play as often, nego gone and Wilson being played further up the field

• Doubt L'pool / Newcastle would loan him back as he is not a first choice starter with us, if they loan him out it would probably be to another club.
  • se9addick said:

Rizzo said:

I'd be happy for him to do a Zaha. We get a ridiculously inflated fee for selling him and then he comes back to play for us anyway.

I've got more faith in Gomez's ability, potential and attitude than Zaha.
    So have I, his attitude seems first class. He is going to be a major talent, for a 17 year old, his assurance, passing ability and reading of the game is extraordinary. Reminds me a bit of a young Rio Ferdinand in the way he plays.

• Ideally we'd hold onto him in this window, offer a nice long juicy contract over the next month or two, give him games to shine in and if the big teams want in come Jan they can pay the kind of money (6-8m?) which can help us push on. No point in selling him for pittance at this stage.
  • Sponsored links:

• Perhaps he has already made his mind up and won't be signing a contract.
    Freshly burnt from Diego selling now may look like the best option.
  • Not a great way to start the day
  • Pardew is a big admirer of Joe's. He said over the summer that he is very aware of him so no surprise that Newcastle are one of the sides being mentioned in this.
  • We would not get a great fee, he is only on a 2-year professional deal, unless we tie him down to a longer deal I would be surprised if we got more than about £5m, in installments. I don't think (hope) RD would want to sell him yet, he will get more in a years time

• Doubt L'pool / Newcastle would loan him back as he is not a first choice starter with us, if they loan him out it would probably be to another club.

It looks like he's going to play the midweek games and provide cover for centre back in the other matches, that seems pretty good in terms of game time for a 17 year old defender.
  • Gutted isn't even the word if this happens
  • Think we would be mad to sell unless we are sure he won't sign another contract.
  • PeteF said:

He did travel with the team Saturday.

Yep and he even warmed up before the game with the rest of the squad (as did Pigott).
  • I guess if he has less than two years on his deal then unless we can get him to re-sign his value will never be as high as it is now. Getting him to resign when the big Premier League clubs is incredibly difficult.
  • Why would he sign a new contract if clubs the size of Newcastle and Liverpool are, genuinely, interested?

I'd be amazed if we get anything like £3m guaranteed if he went today. However, it's not been on SSN so I'm tempted to assume it's just speculation, hopefully it's Joe's agent trying to get his client a longer, higher wage, contract which could mean we will all be happy!
  • Sponsored links:

• Why would he want to disappear into a PL team's reserves for the next 2 years?
  • I'm very interested to see how this one develops, if only to see how RD plays it (assuming its a true rumour).

Players come and go, we will always be a selling club, JG has undoubted talent and is Prem bound sooner or later. That said I would like to keep him, if not and we get a good deal, then good luck to the lad.
    As a club we will survive!
  • Why would he want to disappear into a PL team's reserves for the next 2 years?

Do you really have to ask !
  • I suppose not. Depressing really...
  • I don't understand the size of any fee being an issue to us fans anymore now that RD is in charge. Not like the old days when any monies received were then hopefully to he used to buy. RD has the money to buy if he wants and 1,3 or 5 million for Joe won't make any difference to that. It would just go into RDs slush fund to use on any of the network clubs

Similarly we shouldn't be concerned how much we pay for a player. I've seen comments about Delort where some have said they don't want us to pay £xxx as they feel it's above his true value. Who gives a shit, it's RDs money and not going to threaten to break us financially.

That said, for kudos it's always nice to see your club get value for selling players. We have let too many go pn the cheap over the years
  • Hope he doesn't leave. After all where would the loyalty be to us. We have made him the player he is today :-0
  • Surely we've learnt from the Poyet saga - why are we even letting him play when on a 2 year contract. If he wants 1st team action tell him to sign up to cover the clubs risk - remember him posting a tweet about loyalty recently, wouldn't be an unreasonable thing for him to do!
  • Kipper23 said:

Surely we've learnt from the Poyet saga - why are we even letting him play when on a 2 year contract. If he wants 1st team action tell him to sign up to cover the clubs risk - remember him posting a tweet about loyalty recently, wouldn't be an unreasonable thing for him to do!

Haha, because not letting him play until he signs an 8 year contract extension will really make him want to stick around right?!

ffs
  • Was thinking more along the lines of Shelvey signing a contract extension so the club could get a bit of money for him actually, not indentured slavery.
  • Taxi_Lad said:

I don't understand the size of any fee being an issue to us fans anymore now that RD is in charge. Not like the old days when any monies received were then hopefully to he used to buy. RD has the money to buy if he wants and 1,3 or 5 million for Joe won't make any difference to that. It would just go into RDs slush fund to use on any of the network clubs

Similarly we shouldn't be concerned how much we pay for a player. I've seen comments about Delort where some have said they don't want us to pay £xxx as they feel it's above his true value. Who gives a shit, it's RDs money and not going to threaten to break us financially.

That said, for kudos it's always nice to see your club get value for selling players. We have let too many go pn the cheap over the years

FFP limits the amount of money he can spend above and beyond what we get it so it matters a lot.

Besides, even if you don't care how much of his money he spends I'm sure he does so unless it's your money and you are willing to spend it all it will always matter how much we get in.

I'm not aiming this directly at you Taxi, but it has been a bug bare of mine for a while how fans can demand that wealth men pi$$ their money up the wall on our hobby. There needs to be a point at which they say no, a little like Kevin Cash is reported to have. If we reach that point then we all know what happens - see the summer of 2013.