Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Andy Reid

edited January 2008 in Rumours
Hope it's rubbish but Sunderland fans seem to think that Andy Reid is an all but done deal. I thought we'd lose a couple but hoped we'd keep Reid as he could be a key player when we're playing the top 6 at home. Probably rubbish though.

Comments

• This was talked about in the papers several weeks ago. Who knows where the truth is. I have a sneaky feeling this is going to happen..:-(
  • Clubs don't tend to sign currently injured players FACT
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Clubs don't tend to sign currently injured players FACT

i think he'll be back training in a week.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Clubs don't tend to sign currently injured players FACT[/quote]

GIBBS?
  • I am a littl worried that this may deal take place now that Richardson might be out for the season for them.

However, would they really want to sign a crocked player when they are going to need him for every single game to stay up? It would be a huge risk for them and they would have to force us to sell with a huge bid of 4 million plus.
  • Dont think we look too bad without him in all honesty. I think he can make us a little bit one dimesional, and if someone wants to offer serious money, I'd take it.
  • He is still quite young. I would guess he has a contract which permits him to go to a prem club if they offer above £m. I would hope that if he went it was for a decent price.

As good as he is what percent of games has he played for us?

Would rather Sunderland took the gamble.
  • what really pees me off is people saying we dont look too bad without him,he can't play 4-4-2 what a load of old shite look at our points tally since he has been out.Enough said!! If we sell him kiss goodbye to your free season ticket.
  • Before he got injured against Hull he had played virtually every game.

Also, people need to put this "run" of ours into perspective, we have only won one league game in eight outing since Reid got injured.

He and ZZ are our best two players and Premiership class, we can't lose either because they are both irreplaceable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Agreed as far as ZZ is concerned. The problem with Reidy when he plays is he is always trying the killer pass ala Gerrard, whereas the simple pass would quite often be effective. He is a good player, no doubts, but for a 25 year old, injury prone and lacking a degree of fitness(for his age), and again if good money (£3Millionplus) was offered, Id take it and invest in younger, fitter players.
  • this years stats dont lie though tel,look at our results since he's been out. we can't afford not to go up this year believe me!!!
  • I'd be gutted to see him go before the summer. His value isn't going to drop much in 4 months - Keep him if at all possible.

Put Reid in the team in place of Sam, and move Ambrose to the right and we've got a decent (and balanced) looking midfield who can chip in with more than their fair share of goals. Gray, Varney and Co. are going need decent service and without Reid, we don't have many capable of doing it regularly.

Also, if he goes I assume JT will be staying, and that's another negative..
  • It's never a good idea selling your best players but to be honest if it was a fee like 4M it would make sense letting him go. We either have to play 5 in midfield to cater for him in a central role or we lack pace wide if he plays as the wide man, he is not really a winger. Obviously someone with creative quality for this division as replacement should be sort if so.
  • Agreed northstandsteve Reid goes then bye bye to promotion. just for a little profit he will go if an offer comes in.
  • Unfortunately the law of The Championship is every player has his price. £4m sounds about right considering we bought him for less when we were in the Premiership.
  • Buck the trend then !!!
  • In some situations the club doesnt get the choice do they...

...it also means - if it happens - that the "gentlemans agreement" is a load of crap!
  • [cite]Posted By: StrikerFirmani[/cite]It's never a good idea selling your best players but to be honest if it was a fee like 4M it would make sense letting him go. We either have to play 5 in midfield to cater for him in a central role or we lack pace wide if he plays as the wide man, he is not really a winger. Obviously someone with creative quality for this division as replacement should be sort if so.

The difference is that now we have a pacy left back that likes to get forward which makes up for Reids lack of pace and allows him to play narrower in the same way Ambrose has been doing in the last few games.

Unless the medical guys know something we don't, Reid should not be sold. Getting rid of your best players is not the way to win promotion.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]

Also, people need to put this "run" of ours into perspective, we have only won one league game in eight outing since Reid got injured.

exactly this 'run' is f**king relegation form ffs ... wins are what's required to get the momentum going again
  • Sponsored links:

• In the last 9 league games we have only lost twice, scoring 17 goals.

In the 9 previous games we lost 5 times only scoring 9 goals.

Really bad run eh?
  • edited January 2008
    what i was thinking WSS...

we've lost at west brom (a lot of teams have and will this season!)

got handy points at rejuvenated Norwich and Leicester

battered hull and watford and couldn't put the games away

thumped blackpool

alright colchester was crap but we have a decent run of fixtures (especially away) coming up... 3 wins and a draw out of out of Stoke, Scunthorpe, Palace and Shef Wed is the order of the day
  • Well if the majourity of our results have been draws then we're not picking up enough points.
    Compare the previous 18 games with the amount of points we've picked up and you'll probably notice a difference.
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]

exactly this 'run' is f**king relegation form ffs ... wins are what's required to get the momentum going again

Hence you don't sell one of the few players you have that has the ability to turn draws into wins.
  • edited January 2008
    and in that time we've been without Reid, Todorov, Ambrose, Moo2, Thomas, Basey, Powell, Thatcher for varying amounts of games, Mills has gone, we've had someone suspended for every game and the ever-present Gibbs, whilst Varney and BigChris have also struggled through

i think we've done OK considering, colchester apart
  • i'm referring to the fact that in the last 6 league games without reid we've picked up 7 points and that is not good enough
  • but look at the list above... he's not the only common absentee

i'm not wanting him out at all, i just disagree our run has been as bad some would have you believe

we were far worse before christmas, re. shef utd, burnley, plymouth, but got more points as we were winning games against diabolical sides like cardiff and preston away from home
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i'm referring to the fact that in the last 6 league games without reid we've picked up 7 points and that is not good enough
    We only picked up 9 points in the previous 6 games - it's a fine line ooh ahh
  • so it's getting worse.

Selling our stand-out player would be a real blow, I really hope we hang on to him and would be gutted of we sold for less than £5M - even that I would rather keep him.
  • Anyone who thinks we should accept the offer for Reid must be crazy. He is one of the top midfielders in our league without question, and would also be one of the few who we could name as Premier league class.