Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Safe Standing

I'm pretty ambivalent about standing, but I know there are quite a few who would like to see its return, so I thought I would post this Grauniad article.

Safe Standing

Comments

• It's a really interesting debate and I'm in favour in principle however I'm not sure how it would stack up financially for us.

The most logical stand to convert, I guess, would be the North Lower, which would cost £200k to convert. We would then probably have to reduce ticket prices in that area (which I believe are currently the most expensive in the ground) further impacting the clubs finances.

Ultimately I think it's a good idea but probably only works if you sell out as it is and if you're as far from selling out as we are then it's hard to justify economically.
  • Lower north aren't the most expensive.
    I'm in favour in terms of atmosphere and I think it might attract people back, though I agree the economic case is not compelling. However, people seem happy to pay to stand in front of a seat, so they'd probably be willing to pay the same to stand properly.
  • I think id pay as much if not more to guarantee I could stand. I detest sitting down to support my team.
  • What is the difference between 3000 people standing on a terrace watching a "football match" ( ©Emma) & 3000 people moshing at a pop &/or rock concert (inside or festival) - I suppose the only difference is that at a "football match" generally it's not acceptable to take bottles/glasses of booze/piss in with you & hurl them around, or to crowd surf, or to be in near darkness or to have treacherously muddy conditions underfoot etc etc etc

Think it has to be down to economic concerns these days rather than H&S.
  • Cos football fans are still scum remember Oakster.

• Can Charlton afford not to have a standing section?

It now appears that momentum is with those that favour allowing standing in football grounds. There is growing support in parliament. Further, EPL clubs seem to want to maintain or improve atmosphere inside their grounds as this helps sell their product to both domestic and international markets. The correlation between standing and improved atmosphere appears to be accepted, and accordingly several EPL are likely to install safe standing were this a viable option.

Nobody is advocating a return the terracing of old, but instead a change to modern safe rail based standing. It seems likely that standing will return to top flight football in Scotland first rather than England due to the vagaries of Scots and English law. Given that modern standing is a success in Germany, it can be assumed that it will be a success north of the border. This should tip the balance in favour of those that wish to see a return to standing at the top levels of English football.

Several London clubs currently offer a higher level of football to us. The top flight club nearest to us may soon offer cheaper tickets. If that club can also offer a better match day experience, both in terms of standing for those that want it & general atmosphere for all, then there is the potential for this to impact on the level of our support. Quantifying the impact will be tricky, but needs to be considered. To put it simply there will be a cost to Charlton of implementing safe standing and there will be a cost of doing nothing.

• Make the North Lower standing, but only open to season ticket holders (therefore limiting capacity). Those that want to stand, can buy a ST for there, and those that want a seat can sit elswhere. Simples...
  • Pedro45 said:

Make the North Lower standing, but only open to season ticket holders (therefore limiting capacity). Those that want to stand, can buy a ST for there, and those that want a seat can sit elswhere. Simples...

Don't need to limit it to only ST holders to control capacity, just sell a fixed number of tickets.

One of the advantages of standing is that if you want bring a friend they can stand with you where as with seating it's not always possible to get the seat next to you.

• Pedro45 said:

Make the North Lower standing, but only open to season ticket holders (therefore limiting capacity). Those that want to stand, can buy a ST for there, and those that want a seat can sit elswhere. Simples...

Don't need to limit it to only ST holders to control capacity, just sell a fixed number of tickets.

One of the advantages of standing is that if you want bring a friend they can stand with you where as with seating it's not always possible to get the seat next to you.

Wouldnt it be a good idea to restrict to ST Holders though so that if there is any trouble the ST Holder will have his ticket taken away and he'll lose up to £200 and so will be more willing to behave.

Where as anyone could be a red card member and get a matchday ticket and to them its just £20-£30, they might not care as much if they get chucked out
  • Sponsored links:

• Pedro45 said:

Wouldnt it be a good idea to restrict to ST Holders though so that if there is any trouble the ST Holder will have his ticket taken away and he'll lose up to £200 and so will be more willing to behave.

Where as anyone could be a red card member and get a matchday ticket and to them its just £20-£30, they might not care as much if they get chucked out
    Wouldn't that apply to any area of the ground though?

And if we sell, say 2000 ST for the area we then have 1000 tickets we can't sell even if there is demand.
  • I wonder if the new Brentford ground will be designed with standing rails, there prposals go before the council planners to-night (20000 capacity)
  • Still unsure of the standing/terrace ruling that is here now.
    Peterborough & Yeovil both have standing areas and both have played in the Championship in recent times.
  • You have three years to convert to all seater stadiums when promoted to the championship. Peterbpough would have to be all seater if they had not got relegated last year after three years in the Championship.
  • This has been debated many times and I would prefer to stand if I had the choice.

Yeovil away terrace tickets available at £20 or seats at £20 Wonder how many will take up the seated option.

• Badger said:

Yeovil away terrace tickets available at £20 or seats at £20 Wonder how many will take up the seated option.

I imagine more will take up the seating option at Yeovil cos many fans will remember how wet you can get
  • From BBC all football league clubs to be consulted

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25526329
  • yes please
  • edited December 2013
    Would love a return to standing areas. Or terraces as they should always be known.
  • All for standing. Maybe we could get rid of those faded red seats in the north upper this way
  • Sponsored links:

• Like the idea in principle but the maths still doesn't seem to work out unless your a) selling out, or, b) have super rich owners he don't care about taking a hit
  • Lets be honest the Upper North is pretty much already all standing
    around me it is anyway
  • I don't have an issue one way or the other. I shall continue to sit because of my limited mobility and just hope that those seated do not stand up, thus blocking my view!
  • Don't see why clubs can't allocate an area for safe standing.

How many Brighton/Leeds/Man u/Palace/fans stayed seated in the Jimmy seed stand?

People standing at the back of the Upper North.

Give safe standing a trial period.
  • Bristol City install safe standing - but aren't allowed to use it yet...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26141427
  • Would be a good chance to lose some of those faded seats
  • Went to Werder Bremen v Hamburg at the weekend with a few lads and we gave the safe standing area a go. It's ok although if you get there a bit late it can be hard to find a space (the places weren't reserved). The system would work fine in the UK and people would get used to it pretty quickly.
  • Convert the Jimmy Seed to safe standing - might encourage the blanket & cocoa brigade every other team sends to us as their away support to maybe sing a song for a change.
  • Safe standing: Lib Dems make 2015 General Election pledge

By Richard Conway
    BBC Radio 5 live sports news correspondent
    The Liberal Democrats want to change the law and allow Premier League and Championship clubs to introduce safe standing at stadiums.
    The party has confirmed to BBC Sport it plans to make the pledge as part of its 2015 General Election manifesto.
    Currently, the Football Spectators Act 1989 requires safety authorities to ensure fans attending games in England's top two divisions are seated.
    However, the party is not advocating a return to open terracing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28886330

• No chance they'll get in so non story