Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sport of Kings discussion thread

Comments

• Indigo Joe I like using the pace v3 part of Patternform on flat racing especially 5 furlong sprints.The information gives you a feel of how much pace there will be and who is likely to lead which helps me read a race.But in 5 furlong sprints if you can find a horse with a 1pace rating and next best in the race is 3 or more I've made a profit backing these horses alone and am just starting to see if the same works out in 6 furlong sprints.
  • Seth they don't go faster without a jockey and wouldn't stick to the course or distance without a jockey
  • Seth they don't go faster without a jockey and wouldn't stick to the course or distance without a jockey

The Physics suggests they can go faster with less weight, hence the handicapping, and a Jockey weighs something. If they don't follow the course without a Jockey couldn't they invent some remote control steering device to put in the lump of metal horses have to have in their mouths?
    If a horse won't run the distance I suppose the purpose of a Jockey is to kick them, and hit them with a whip to force them to keep going when their inclination would be to stop and do some grazing.

• Indigo Joe I like using the pace v3 part of Patternform on flat racing especially 5 furlong sprints.The information gives you a feel of how much pace there will be and who is likely to lead which helps me read a race.But in 5 furlong sprints if you can find a horse with a 1pace rating and next best in the race is 3 or more I've made a profit backing these horses alone and am just starting to see if the same works out in 6 furlong sprints.

Interesting. Good luck Kish.
  • seth plum said:

Seth they don't go faster without a jockey and wouldn't stick to the course or distance without a jockey

The Physics suggests they can go faster with less weight, hence the handicapping, and a Jockey weighs something. If they don't follow the course without a Jockey couldn't they invent some remote control steering device to put in the lump of metal horses have to have in their mouths?
    If a horse won't run the distance I suppose the purpose of a Jockey is to kick them, and hit them with a whip to force them to keep going when their inclination would be to stop and do some grazing.

How about using a high powered air rifle (perhaps the BHA could recruit Ashley Cole) and when they stop to graze a couple of rounds in their hind quarters would get them going again.

Or alternatively just accept that man and horse have been partners for thousands of years and that horses are bred to be ridden. If a horse didn't want to run then trust me it wouldn't.
  • Seth the jockeys control the horses pace so they can do the distance otherwise they would just run until tired a bit like trying to sprint a marathon and a horses inclination is to run and jump with some grazing
  • I understand that horse and man have been 'partners' for ages, or perhaps it is more accurate to say that horses have been in thrall to man, hence the concept of 'breaking in' a horse.
    ...apart from the legion of Horse Whisperers out there.
    I was talking to a lady who has a daughter in the horse artillery at Woolwich and she says that her daughter thinks the conditions the horses are kept in are bad. They never eat grass for example but 'feed', they don't graze, and don't have free space to run around in.
  • Race horses are treated like royalty.

• Race horses are treated like royalty.

Inbreeding? Is that what you mean?
  • As ValleyGary said racehorses are treated like royalty infact they are treated better than most humans
  • Sponsored links:

• You just cant educate some people
  • Seth as regards to your so called physics theory on weight and running faster why do horses carrying top weight in races and sometimes carrying upto two stone more than others win them races?
  • edited July 2014

Seth as regards to your so called physics theory on weight and running faster why do horses carrying top weight in races and sometimes carrying upto two stone more than others win them races?

That may be because they are two stone better than the rest! The whole handicap theory is based on the premise that a horse will run slower the more weight is added to the saddle.

I think you will also find that Seth's arguments are founded in animal welfare rather than the laws of physics and the hope of providing the spectacle of faster run races!
  • smiffyboy said:

Don't bother rising to him let him be a dick on his own if he don't like horse racing then he can always go and play bowls in his local park and entertain himself

I take it your judgement of me as a dick is based on personal prejudice.
  • bobmunro said:

Seth as regards to your so called physics theory on weight and running faster why do horses carrying top weight in races and sometimes carrying upto two stone more than others win them races?

That may be because they are two stone better than the rest! The whole handicap theory is based on the premise that a horse will run slower the more weight is added to the saddle.

I think you will also find that Seth's arguments are founded in animal welfare rather than the laws of physics and the hope of providing the spectacle of faster run races!

You're right I am coming from an animal welfare point of view, hence my references above.
    I fully understand that loads of people love horse racing, and possibly never question aspects of it. If I bring up some questions, not in a personalised way, but generally about horse racing, it is similar to somebody raising questions about the sport of Boxing for example, and in my opinion reasonable enough.
    We have had debates on here regarding the risks of G3 pitches and nobody got called a 'dick' then, however smiffyboy wants to insult me for some reason over the Horse racing thing.
  • Seth as regards to your so called physics theory on weight and running faster why do horses carrying top weight in races and sometimes carrying upto two stone more than others win them races?

Could it be because they have bigger muscles?
    Surely adding weight is an attempt to level the playing field, and therefore carrying more weight is an extra strain and burden on the horses.
  • seth plum said:

bobmunro said:

You're right I am coming from an animal welfare point of view, hence my references above.
    I fully understand that loads of people love horse racing, and possibly never question aspects of it. If I bring up some questions, not in a personalised way, but generally about horse racing, it is similar to somebody raising questions about the sport of Boxing for example, and in my opinion reasonable enough.
    We have had debates on here regarding the risks of G3 pitches and nobody got called a 'dick' then, however smiffyboy wants to insult me for some reason over the Horse racing thing.
    Agree with you, Seth - and though I'm in the 'love horseracing' camp (and boxing for that matter) I would always respect any contrary opinion whilst disagreeing with it.

Abuse and insults are the territory of those who cannot put together a cogent argument.
  • smiffyboy said:

Whatever, if you don't agree with the topic of the thread then don't come on it and act like one

This is the topic of the thread:

Sport of Kings discussion thread

Perhaps you missed reading the word 'discussion'.
  • smiffyboy said:

Like Ground Invasion in the 16:15 at Galway, think Cavalryman could upset estimate and brown panther

Hope you backed it
  • seth plum said:

The question is why bother with a little person sitting on the back of the horse if they go faster carrying less weight?

Because under the Rules of Racing each horse is allotted a given weight and can carry no less than that weight.

But I suspect you knew that anyway ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• smiffyboy said:

Smart arse and for you to bite on being called a dick how did you know I was talking about you

Who were you calling a dick then?
  • smiffyboy said:

Why would you assume I was talking about you because you obviously know you are being one, now go and annoy other people on a different thread, dick

I have obviously annoyed you by mentioning awkward aspects of the horse racing discussion, because you hide behind your keyboard and use insulting language towards me.
    Do you find it a bit of a challenge to engage with what I am saying without being personal? Perhaps you could consider ignoring the posts I write altogether, and therefore steer away from personal insults.

• I have been following jockey Danny Brock - and i am well up over the last 2 months... up and coming jockey who is bringing home a few donkeys at high e/w prices! Not to mention his recent winners!

I read that if you put a quid on each race of his, you would be £56 up. I heard that it is rare for a jockey to be in profit like that.

Mate I owe you a pint. Danny Brock just won me £120 :-)
  • I have been following jockey Danny Brock - and i am well up over the last 2 months... up and coming jockey who is bringing home a few donkeys at high e/w prices! Not to mention his recent winners!

I read that if you put a quid on each race of his, you would be £56 up. I heard that it is rare for a jockey to be in profit like that.

Mate I owe you a pint. Danny Brock just won me £120 :-)
    And me a few bob.
    Got 16's first thing this morning.