Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

John Hewie in need of help

Comments

• One our true legends. Good luck John.
  • Very sad indeed.

I remember reading in the programme a few years back that he lives in Lincolnshire and wondered why he hasn't visited The Valley, having played 500 odd games, in recent years like some other players.

I hope they reach the decision that is best for John and his happiness.

• “He wants to be closer to his remaining family and Lincoln is perfect for my niece Samantha, who lives in Spalding, and myself.

Read more: http://www.bostontarget.co.uk/Fight-Scotland-Charlton-football-star-battling/story-22017436-detail/story.html#ixzz3935ZtBW2

I don't understand that comment, having lived in Lincolnshire for 4 years, Including both Spalding and Boston, I don't see how Lincoln is better for his neice than where he is ATM as Boston is 25-30 minutes away from Spalding.

But very sad to hear that he is struggling like this, good luck John the Charlton Family is thinking about you
  • Very sad story. One of Charlton's greats from a seemingly different era. Let's hope it all works out for the best.
  • Very sad. Hope all works out for him and his family.
  • Extremely sad especially... He played international football for Scotland but cannot even remember playing the game now.

You may not be able to remember playing the Game but there are certainly a good number of fans who do remember you playing... All the best John
  • One of my boyhood heroes from the 50s and 60s. Never saw him have a bad game. Here's hoping for a good result for him. He deserves it.
  • “He wants to be closer to his remaining family and Lincoln is perfect for my niece Samantha, who lives in Spalding, and myself.

Read more: http://www.bostontarget.co.uk/Fight-Scotland-Charlton-football-star-battling/story-22017436-detail/story.html#ixzz3935ZtBW2

I don't understand that comment, having lived in Lincolnshire for 4 years, Including both Spalding and Boston, I don't see how Lincoln is better for his neice than where he is ATM as Boston is 25-30 minutes away from Spalding.

But very sad to hear that he is struggling like this, good luck John the Charlton Family is thinking about you

Care provision in Lincolnshire is split between the north and south and has different care providers (don't ask) so it maybe an issue about which from one region to another and who takes on the cost.
  • Sponsored links:

• Michael Bennett ‏@michaelbennett0 39s
    - Yep @PFA have been supporting John for a while and still are...
  • This is a serious suggestion, though I realise that given the circumstances it could look a little lame. There is some evidence that playing music to dementia patients can cave a positive effect. If by chance any of John's carers or relatives see this, could you try playing The Red Red Robin or perhaps Flower of Scotland to him in the hope that it, albeit fleetingly, revives memories of his once great days.
  • Extremely sad especially... He played international football for Scotland but cannot even remember playing the game now.

You may not be able to remember playing the Game but there are certainly a good number of fans who do remember you playing... All the best John

Yes there certainly are a good number of us. One of my boyhood heroes, he joined the club in my first full season and became an immediate favourite of the crowd who dubbed him 'long John'. So sad to hear of him suffering from this horrible condition. Good luck JH, keep fighting.

• Stig said:

This is a serious suggestion, though I realise that given the circumstances it could look a little lame. There is some evidence that playing music to dementia patients can cave a positive effect. If by chance any of John's carers or relatives see this, could you try playing The Red Red Robin or perhaps Flower of Scotland to him in the hope that it, albeit fleetingly, revives memories of his once great days.

Flower of Scotland wasn't written when John played but a good idea with RRR or maybe Scotland the Brave
  • Stig said:

This is a serious suggestion, though I realise that given the circumstances it could look a little lame. There is some evidence that playing music to dementia patients can cave a positive effect. If by chance any of John's carers or relatives see this, could you try playing The Red Red Robin or perhaps Flower of Scotland to him in the hope that it, albeit fleetingly, revives memories of his once great days.

Not a lame suggestion at all.

I know from my own observations that music and singing can engender a positive response even in cases where alzheimers.disease is advanced.
  • Where is 3blokes and his guitar?
    I can see a drunken rendition of The Red Red Robin being recorded in the studio.... :)
  • Stig said:

Stig, didn't we send some photos?
  • edited July 2014
    Posted my 1998 VOTV interview with John here.
  • huge player for us in his day, the nearest modernish equivalent would be Steve Brown. John Hewie was one of the wonderful players I came to know as a kid from the big East Terrace, John Hewie along with Willie Duff, Fred Lucas, Sam Lawrie, Jonny Summers and Stuart Leary. legends all of them.

• edited July 2014
    Sad to hear the news about John, but pleased that the PFA and Mickey Bennett are on the case and can help John regarding the move. Dementia is a horrible disease.

My nan and granddad lived in Floyd Road back in the 40's through to the 60's. They knew John and his wife who I think lived in of the club houses in Harvey Gardens. One of my mums favourite players along with Stuart Leary.
  • Sponsored links:

• So very sad, 'Long John' was one of my boyhood heroes. His legs really were very long, helped him to intercept a pass. Memories of a sunny afternoon, Long John in goal
    as a shot came in, the ball just bounced off his chest. If my memory serves me Long John marked Stanley Matthews one evening in a div 2 game at the Valley in the 60's.

Horrible condition- my mother went through it. Will not forget you John.
  • edited July 2014

Stig said:

We did. There was someone else involved as well but my memory has gone.

Hewie, Tocknell, Kinsey

"Hewie, small clipping001
  • RE: the music idea. Some years ago my mother suffered serious dementia and eventually had to be cared for in a home. The only times she showed any sign of remembering 'the outside world' was when we visited and my daughter played old songs and tunes for her on the home's piano, she even remembered some of the words: that's proof enough for me that it can work. Unfortunately most homes seem to think that leaving the TV on all day is enough.
  • As a supporter who is turned 70,I did see him play a few times,also managed to get his Autograph a couple of seasons ago when he visited the Valley.All the best to him and family.
  • edited July 2014

“He wants to be closer to his remaining family and Lincoln is perfect for my niece Samantha, who lives in Spalding, and myself.

I

Its about whatever makes them happier
  • Remember him watching games behind Charlton Dog Track. Very unassuming man such a shame that in his hour of need
    he has to struggle in this way. Hope he gets the right result.
  • All the very best John. Played in the first match I ever saw at the Valley in January 1962. Wonderful, versatile player. I hope everything works out for John and his family.

• Stig said:

Stig said:

We did. There was someone else involved as well but my memory has gone.

Hewie, Tocknell, Kinsey

"Hewie, small clipping001
    CAFC99 I think
  • edited July 2014

Posted my 1998 VOTV interview with John here.

It's interesting that that article from 1998 ends up by stating that he should be in the Hall of Fame. Surely a good shout for a 2015 inductee.