Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Looks like Ben Alnwick will be signing for Riga...

Comments

• Options

We stayed up... All the rest is noise!

I'm sure the junior employees who were made redundant to save money this summer will be glad to hear it, especially as "budget is not an issue now". But haven't you been telling us all year that it is the major issue because of FFP?

We move on in hope, because that is the nature of football fans, but we don't forget the past and we particularly shouldn't allow Richard Murray to rewrite history.

Why is Murray so scared of Katrien Meire meeting Peter Varney, do you think? Probably because he knows his revisionist history of the last six years will collapse like a house of cards.
    On the one hand you bemoan Richard Murray "constantly bringing up Varney" but isn't it you who brings him up on Charlton life approximately once a week!
    The previous owners (with Varney) appointed Powell and built a squad to get us out of League 1. They then kept us there with reducing losses and sold the club as a going concern.
    As far as I'm concerned non footballing staff matters are never fair game for public discussion... And I mean never. It is you who chooses to leak and leverage redundancies at a time of your choosing to fit with your agenda.
    Clearly you would have had a field day if we had been relegated. Ideally under Duchatelet we will move further and further away from the bottom six.

• Options

All of which might stack up, if it wasn't common knowledge at the time that there was a big row about the fact that Powell played Alnwick over Thuram at Doncaster and more generally that RD had told Thuram he would play at Charlton.

I don't know why Alnwick dropped out of the Boro game so maybe there is something in the prior knowledge argument relating to that. My assumption has always been that Powell picked Thuram under pressure and Alnwick developed a diplomatic injury because he wasn't prepared to sit on the bench in that situation. But perhaps that is unfair.

However, Alnwick then returned for the two cup games before Doncaster. This may have been acceptable to RD because of the traditionally lower status of cup games on the continent and to some extent here now as well? Around the Doncaster game in transfer week, however, there was chaos and this was reflected in the very poor performance and attitude of the players. I was there and I know what I saw.

I was surprised, talking to my TG source, at the stress placed on the departure of Alnwick as a factor in the breakdown in relations between CP and RD. Further, I think Alnwick only signed to the end of the season at Orient anyway, which makes no sense of the two-year argument. My understanding has been that he was removed by RD to force Powell to play Thuram, which initially he did, even when Hamer was on the bench against QPR.

As time went on, however, it became clear that he couldn't accommodate RD's team selection preferences without compromising himself, as well as the team, hence the SUFC showdown.

This is also my understanding.
  • Options
    Don't you think Katrien would
    just call Peter and go for a coffee if she wanted to meet him?
  • Options
    Will Alnwick sign before it is clear whether JR is staying?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Rothko said:

I would love to think that Katrien now has the confidence (as it isn't all so new any more) to meet some people previously associated with the club for a cup of tea or coffee, and begin to make her own mind up if those people have anything to offer.

Personally I am an older supporter, and I have done a few bits and pieces in and around the club and not wanted, or been paid a penny piece.

Supporters like me, or Fanny for example, love the club and want it to thrive and we contribute whatever we can manage. I recognise that Peter Varney and Rick were also such supporters long before they earned anything from Charlton, and their contributions then were also free, gratis, because like Fanny and I and many others they love the club and want it to thrive.

I can't see what Katrien would lose from listening to offers of help from the old guard as well as the new if such offers were out there. My perception is that Katrien is somebody of great personal integrity, and is also well sussed enough to separate wheat from chaff.

I am NOT seeking to dig anybody out, but I am curious as to the season ticket sales so far. The reason I mention this is that however divided our Charlton family might be, EVERYBODY would love to see a full Valley. Maybe getting attendances up is something everybody can make a positive contribution towards, and such efforts would unite us more strongly.

• Options

We stayed up... All the rest is noise!

This is the equivalent of shouting "racist" to anyone who wishes to discuss immigration.
  • Options
    I love the word "stooge".
    To me it conjures up romantic images of a really malleable turd.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Not if her motivation to do so is limited and Murray's hostility to the idea is vehement to the extent it will create bad feeling. I don't blame KM - she only has one side of the story.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Rothko said:

Not if her motivation to do so is limited and Murray's hostility to the idea is vehement to the extent it will create bad feeling. I don't blame KM - she only has one side of the story.
    Does Richard Murray still carry that level of influence as a NED? I would be surprised if he did and if Katrien wanted to speak to you, Rick - or Reg or anyone else from the past - then I'm sure she would have the confidence and authority to do so.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    we should rename this thread "The Gospel According to Airman Brown"

so AB you got a text 45 mins into the game against Middlesbro saying Thurman was a clown, so you really knew at that ponit how bad he was, I was at the match and he wasn't that bad he did let in a soft goal and his style was unconventional but he did only concede 1 goal, I'd have thought a clown would concede a few more?

so Murray is scared of KM meeting PV - another little pearl from your gospel against Murray - how do you know, pray tell or shut up!
  • Options
    I am about to buy myself a boat, I plan to Captain it myself.....The last people I will be asking for advice are Edward Smith and Francesco Schettino.

• Options
    Thuram is a clown and a terrible goalkeeper. We can at least all agree on that.
  • Options

I am about to buy myself a boat, I plan to Captain it myself.....The last people I will be asking for advice are Edward Smith and Francesco Schettino.

Well, one's dead, the other is in jail which might make it tricky... Pretty sure Murray is alive and free. ;)
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Well, one's dead, the other is in jail which might make it tricky... Pretty sure Murray is alive and free. ;)
    (I am not really buying a boat either, but Shhh..)
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I have said this elsewhere and I know it is an unpopular view.

Thuram is not a clown in my opinion . He is a European style goalkeeper who likes to punch rather than catch the ball . I do not think he would have got French U21 Caps if he had no ability. I have stated above that I genuinely believe Richard Murray's account that he was pitched in at the last minute against Boro and that his debut was not planned because of Alnwick's late withdrawal . I have given evidence as to why I think this version of events is credible .

I have not commented about the Doncaster or Sheffield United rumours .I have also stated that Ben Alnwick was in my view our best goalie since Kiely and Carson. Personally I was gutted to see him depart.

The goal Thuram conceded at the Riverside was poor and probably cost us a point , but I remember from the highlights he made a couple of good reaction saves as well. Maybe he could have done better with the late goals at Wigan or are we being too harsh ?

Yes I agree it was an error to bring in a Keeper who had no experience of English football at such a critical stage of the season and he was unsuited to the Championship and had no time to adapt .Now, Just to be clear I am not suggesting resigning him .However , it might have been more interesting to see how he would have adapted had he had a pre season with us.

A footnote . Who was in goal for Standard and kept a clean sheet when we lost 2-0 against them a couple of weeks ago?
  • Options
    Richard J said:

I have said this elsewhere and I know it is an unpopular view.

Thuram is not a clown in my opinion . He is a European style goalkeeper who likes to punch rather than catch the ball . I do not think he would have got French U21 Caps if he had no ability. I have stated above that I genuinely believe Richard Murray's account that he was pitched in at the last minute against Boro and that his debut was not planned because of Alnwick's late withdrawal . I have given evidence as to why I think this version of events is credible .

I have not commented about the Doncaster or Sheffield United rumours .I have also stated that Ben Alnwick was in my view our best goalie since Kiely and Carson. Personally I was gutted to see him depart.

The goal Thuram conceded at the Riverside was poor and probably cost us a point , but I remember from the highlights he also made a couple of good reaction saves as well. Maybe he also could have done better with the late goals at Wigan or are we being too harsh ?

Yes I agree it was an error to bring in a Keeper who had no experience of English football at such a critical stage of the season and he was unsuited to the Championship and had no time to adapt .Now, Just to be clear I am not suggesting resigning him .However , it might have been more interesting to see how he would have adapted had he had a pre season with us.

A footnote . Who was in goal for Standard and kept a clean sheet when we lost 2-0 against them a couple of weeks ago?

So did the Welling keeper ...

• Options
    edited July 2014

And yet if any one person associated with Charlton fits that analogy it is surely the man who appointed Dowie. And there he is at the helm again, proffering just such advice.
  • Options

And yet if any one person associated with Charlton fits that analogy it is surely the man who appointed Dowie. And there he is at the helm again, proffering just such advice.
    But is it really being listened to and taken on board, or is it just a token position for your 'average' Charlton fan who feel reassured by the presence
  • Options
    The fella who saw fit to pay Curbs off and end his association early with the club and subsequently took his own footballing viewpoint of who to appoint as manager rather than take advice offered by Curbs himself offers no reassurance to me
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The fella who saw fit to pay Curbs off and end his association early with the club and subsequently took his own footballing viewpoint of who to appoint as manager rather than take advice offered by Curbs himself offers no reassurance to me

Curbs had to go that summer as he had lost interest, it was just the way we appointed Dowie was poor. Murray did it to get back at Jordan. Appointing a management team before a manager also was a bad way of going about things.
  • Options
    Curbs was willing to do the last year of his contract but not extend it , he may have been tired but Murray eased him out the way .

With the SKY money significantly increasing after 'that' season to me it should have been safety first with Curbs , i mean seriously what players are bothered about managers contracts lengths , it's their own that matters to them , just ask our current Belgique/Euro collection of players and manager!
  • Options
    dear mr moderator

we seem to have got off the subject title of the thread ...may i suggest someone open up a "why is Richard Murray still there " thread
  • Options
    Wish the season would start, so we can move to something interesting, like football
  • Options
    Is Ben Alnwick signing for Riga then?
  • Options
    Oh you mean it isn't about the ongoing psychodrama between people at the club?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Signed for Peterborough on a 3 year (!!) deal. Good luck Ben! Hopefully see you in the friendly in midweek.