Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cross-trainer exercise machines info. please.

For some reason Mrs.M seems to think we need more exercise and has come up with the idea of getting one of these things to help get us into shape. They look like hard work to me , especially when one is of a 'certain age'. If anyone's got one or uses one regularly what do you think of them ? Any advice gratefully received, thanks.

Comments

• They are very easy to work, and much more low impact than a treadmill.
  • There very good for Fat burning although I don't think there great for fitness although I'm not of a "Certain age" yet. Like NLN said there easy to work and very low impact.
  • Good if you've got a dodgy knee like me as there is not the impact that you get from running.

You put as much effort into them as you want as you can change the levels.

The leg co-ordination might take a few mins to get used to and you might ache in new places the first couple of times.

I like them - not sure how much benefit you get from the exercise though.
  • You will very possibly get bored with it. Where are you going to keep it? If in the house, it's not going to improve the aesthetics, is it? Cut down on your calories and go somewhere nice for a walk.
  • We've got one, never used it personally but the lady of the house loves it
  • My boss has dodgy knees and can't run anymore so he bought himself a cross trainer. Does 20mins every day and he's shifted 2 stone in 6 months without trying. Some people have all of the luck
  • _MrDick said:

My boss has dodgy knees and can't run anymore so he bought himself a cross trainer. Does 20mins every day and he's shifted 2 stone in 6 months without trying. Some people have all of the luck

TBF he must also be doing something else like a change in his diet and other exercise such as swimming for him to lose that much weight from just cross-training.
  • Try argos. Also take it easy to start with as i found they can be hard on the back.
  • I'd find a cheap local gym, rather than buying something. A lot of the cheap bits of gym equipment you can buy in Argos are pretty flimsy, while the more substantial ones are very expensive and take a lot of space.

Find a gym (a council type one, e.g. "Better") that doesn't have a 6 month termination period
  • Yeah for example True Gym in Maidstone is £15 a month, no contract, open 24hrs, free parking and the equipment is the same as David Lloyd as far as I'm concerned.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2014
    Thanks everybody: to answer a couple of questions: we haven't got a gym close to us and because of my sight problems I no longer drive. For the same reason 'a nice walk', although a good idea, becomes quite boring when you can't see very much (and what you can see is all the wrong colour). It would be in the house, near the CD player but not a comfy chair. Amazon are doing one with over £100 off but we haven't looked at Argos yet: will do that today. Thanks again for the very useful info.
  • Do ebay mapper for this as can pick up cheap second hand ones close to home if prepared to pick up.
  • edited June 2014
    we got one from Decathlon a couple of years ago, seems good, I hardly use it (since I run) but my teenage daughters do regularly

Decathlon elliptical cross trainers