Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Team 2018

Most seem to agree that it's time for the youngsters to step up, but what might be our team if/when we get to the 2018 finals tournament?

GKs Hart, Butland

DR Smalling?

DL Shaw

DC Cahill, Stones?, Jones?

DM Henderson, Chalobah?

AM Barkley, Lallana, Sterling, Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberlain

ST Sturridge, Walcott, Bamford?

Who else coming through? Doesn't look like a team of world beaters to me, though a lot can happen in 4 years.

Comments

• We're gonna win the World Cup! Definitely this time, I just know it etc
  • who knows who will come through.
  • I just hope we have a manager who will pick players on merit.
  • Poyet, Solly and Cousins...
  • Callum Chambers at right back.
    Patrick Roberts as an attacking midfielder.
    James Wilson up front?
  • Why not Gomez at the back ? - god, please not Smalling.
  • Smalling is bloody awful.
  • It's tougher to qualify for the World Cup so we may not even qualify!
  • Sponsored links:

• Hart
    Baines
    Johnson
    Cahill
    Jagielka
    Gerrard
    Henderson
    Sterling
    Rooney
    Welbeck
    Sterling

More likely to be this than the others quoted, perhaps Gerrard aside. Teams evolve very slowly.
  • Henderson is shit and gerrard is finished. we need a new midfield and I think we should go back to 4-4-2 and forget all this interchange crap.
  • Hart
    Baines
    Johnson
    Cahill
    Jagielka
    Gerrard
    Henderson
    Sterling
    Rooney
    Welbeck
    Sterling

Is Raheem's brother any good?
  • Hart

Clyne
    Cahill
    ?
    Shaw

Wilshere
    Ox
    Barkley

Sterling
    Sturridge
    Lallana

That's the team we should probably have now too.
  • as long as Rooney is not there we have a chance
  • as long as Rooney is not there we have a chance

Harsh.
  • Let's hope the predictions in here are better than the Daily Mails for this tournament

theladbible.com/articles/the-prediction-for-england-s-2014-team-is-utterly-horrendous
  • Butland
    Richards Jones Cahill Shaw
    Walcott Barkley Wilshere Lallana Sterling
    Sturridge

Hart, Smelling, Stones, Gibbs, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Johnson, Baines, Henderson, the young manure striker, Rooney, Welbeck, Chalobah, Shelvey, the West Bromwich striker who plays for the under 21's and a couple of surprises that break through.
  • Wouldn't surprise me if we started Gerrard and Lampard. Ps Gerrard is awful!!
  • edited June 2014
    Hart

Johnson
    Terry
    Ferdinand
    Cole

Beckham
    Gerrard
    Lampard
    J.Cole

Owen
    Rooney

Subs:
    Carson
    Jagielka
    Neville
    Neville
    Scholes
    Carrick
    Heskey
  • Sponsored links:

• Henderson is shit and gerrard is finished. we need a new midfield and I think we should go back to 4-4-2 and forget all this interchange crap.

Really?? Henderson has been quality in my opinion! Before this tournament I wasn't are why he was going.. but he proved me wrong! In a 4231 you need a good box to box midfielder who has endless energy and commitment and that's exactly what we got! He got forward well and creates things as well as helping gerrard out and covering the fill backs when they bombed forwards! For me he's one of the success stories of this tournament! Agree gerrard is finished! As for formation I would just like to point out how well 442 worked for England over the last 15 years! I for one would much rather play the football we've seen in these two games with excitement and energy rather than return to the boring slow paced rubbish we've been told will won us the world cup for god knows how long! Roy has got it right and we should stick with him and the plan!
  • Impossible to say. Four years ago would anyone have mentioned Sterling, Lallana, Shaw, Sturridge or Welbeck as being the future?
  • Henderson is one of the few players who hasn't let himself down. I would prefer Shelvey personally.

Really?? Henderson has been quality in my opinion! Before this tournament I wasn't are why he was going.. but he proved me wrong! In a 4231 you need a good box to box midfielder who has endless energy and commitment and that's exactly what we got! He got forward well and creates things as well as helping gerrard out and covering the fill backs when they bombed forwards! For me he's one of the success stories of this tournament! Agree gerrard is finished! As for formation I would just like to point out how well 442 worked for England over the last 15 years! I for one would much rather play the football we've seen in these two games with excitement and energy rather than return to the boring slow paced rubbish we've been told will won us the world cup for god knows how long! Roy has got it right and we should stick with him and the plan!
    completely agree.

I thought Henderson was cack but he's done exactly what he is there for the last two games.
  • Most of you have got those teams wrong. You need to be looking at young foreign players that have been in the UK for 1 year and will qualify for 2018 under the 5 year residency ruling. I say this in jest but I wouldn't be shocked if there was a similar "Januzaj" situation in the next few years
  • Goalkeepers.. Hart / Butland / Pope
    Right Backs.. Jenkinson / Clyne
    Left-Backs.. Baines / Shaw
    Centre-Backs.. Cahill / Jagielka / Caulker / Stones
    Midfielders.. Sterling / Barkley / Henderson / Wilshere / Walcott / Oxlade-Chamberlain / Shelvey
    Strikers.. Rooney / Sturridge / Berahino / Wilson
  • Think its impossible to tell at this early stage. 4 years ago the like of Shaw, Barkley and Sterling weren't even professional players and Lallana and Lambert were playing in League One.
  • Reminds me of that piece in the paper 8 years ago where they picked the team for this world cup. Think about 6 of the players are now playing in L1.

Henderson? Box-to-box? OK.

Henderson? Box-to-box? OK.

Well he is, but ok.

Completely agree with you Canters, well said.