Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Players Released Announced (list of ten)

Comments

• Options

The realities of football.

Good luck lads and thanks for your efforts.

Particularly gutted things haven't worked out with Bradley Pritchard. Like Wagstaff, the guy is genuinely one of the nicest lads you'll ever meet in the game. If you are reading this Bradley, really hope things work out for you pal and you get yourself a good club.

I agree re Pritchard. Likeable and very hard working. It's not easy to understand quite what went wrong. Being honest, I wasn't really a fan during the first Championship season. I thought he lacked quality and figured he wasn't really good enough. Then in the game against Leicester early in the season just ended I thought he really looked the part. He found space and passed the ball well. I ate some humble pie.

However, against Birmingham away he was horrendous. Really embarrasingly bad. I don't think he every really recovered from that game. Powell certainly rarely picked him afterwards.

Shame for the boy, but I suspect the reality is that he isn't really Championship standard. Hope he gets a deal at a decent Club.
  • Options

cabbles said:

I would be grateful to get people's thoughts on any of the youngsters released. Were any of them contentious and ones you could see making a name for themselves? As with the other senior members, the only one I would have kept is Cort. We needed to clear the decks (provided we have replacements). I know people have been frustrated by lack of info coming from the powers that be, however, I think we are moving in the right direction. I definitely would've kept Riga, but will not dismiss the appointment of Peeters as a poor decision. Those that are leaving are the right ones, apart from Cort. In addition, I feel the club are doing what they can to keep hold of Morro, Hamer & Poyet. It may be that they get offered better deals elsewhere, and financially RD feels we cannot afford them. That's just the way it is. On balance, I am happy with the end to the season and the approach to moving forward so far.

Bradley Jordan and Azeez regressed in the last 12 months, which was disappointing as on first viewings AA looked promising. Jordan, just too lightweight and has lost out to Jack Munns. Feely never recovered from a disastrous loan at Carlisle and as others have said we have Lennon, Osborne and Gomez coming through at centre half. I have also seen the U18 captain look very competent playing that position as well, although like Gomez I think his final position will be centre midfield.
    Cheers mate. Just don't know enough about the youngsters to know if it's the right decision, and was keen for people's thoughts as I think we're going to see more and more youth players under the RD model.
  • Options
    No real surprises for me on that list, they are for the most part good players who did well but aren't realistically top-Championship level players. I wish them well and I think any of them would get a cheer if they came back to the Valley but none of them I would keep if the choice was mine. That said, with Cort off that means Wood is the ONLY senior centreback under contract right now, so this has gone from one of our strongest positions to a bit of a worry!
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Danny Hollands has signed a 2 year deal with Portsmouth with option to extend.
  • Options
    I am not sad to see any off them go based on first-hand viewing and second-hand reports. Still, I wish them all the best in their future careers and thank them for what they did for us, especially those who helped us to promotion.
  • Options

The realities of football.

Good luck lads and thanks for your efforts.

Particularly gutted things haven't worked out with Bradley Pritchard. Like Wagstaff, the guy is genuinely one of the nicest lads you'll ever meet in the game. If you are reading this Bradley, really hope things work out for you pal and you get yourself a good club.

I think Bradley suffered from our heavy pitch and had he got game time in the end of season run, may have impressed. I hope he gets a decent gig elsewhere.

• Options
    Good luck to all those leaving

There is a decent side there and any league 1 manager should be scanning that list for some bargains.

Shame to see Azeez go. Was scoring goals albeit in league 2 but I don't know enought about him to say it was the right or wrong decision.

Anyone know about Muldoon and Osbourne?
  • Options
    Good luck to to all those leaving but let's be realistic, not many of them featured in the last couple of months of the season so they're no great loss. The challenge is to replace them with better players
  • Options

Good luck to all those leaving

There is a decent side there and any league 1 manager should be scanning that list for some bargains.

Shame to see Azeez go. Was scoring goals albeit in league 2 but I don't know enought about him to say it was the right or wrong decision.

Anyone know about Muldoon and Osbourne?

Presumably offered new contracts, as with the senior players, but that is not confirmed that I am aware of.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Best wishes to all released and thanks for your contributions.
    Better start polishing my boots.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Plaaayer said:

As an aside, who has decided to release these players? The Chairman?

If so, how many times has he seen Azeez play for example?

The same bloke who picks the team and who decides which players we sign....Roland. (:

So RD who brought YTU into the club as well as Polish Pete and Nego decided not to play them right, we need to face facts we assumed Powell lost his job for not playing them players but then nor did Riga, so RD does not pick the team IMO
    I was joking.....hence the smiley face at the end.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Ade Azeez - Never really kicked on from youth team; very average loans at Torquay and Daggers
    Jordan Cook - Potential never realised; was a gamble by Powell anyway.
    Leon Cort - Excellent servant and good player; shame his knees are now letting him down.
    Cedric Evina - Had chances but certainly didn't take them this year.
    Kevin Feely - Not strong enough for Championship; will play in lower leagues without issue.
    Mark Gower - Decent player but the long-term back injury has harmed his chances of getting a good 1st team run.
    Danny Green - Sometimes great; sometimes poor. Will get a decent contract somewhere.
    Danny Hollands - My POTS two years ago; never had the pace for Championship football
    Bradley Jordan - Don't know too much about him. Wish him well.
    Bradley Pritchard - Gave 100% but lacked class IMO; will find another club easily.

Al the best to all these players and thanks for being Charlton pro's!

Good summary. I think the correct decision on all 10 and I'd like to thank them & wish them all well.
  • Options
    Best of luck to all going forward. Disappointed to see Cort & Pritchard go, no real surprises with the rest.
  • Options
    Disappointed to lose cort but with his injury record we shouldn't miss him. Pritchard was good in league one but struggled in championship but should be remembered for when he played well wish him luck. The others are no surprises. Completely forgot about gower even being here.

Hope morrison and poyet sign their contracts.
  • Options
    Right, so now we not only have no manager but only about half a dozen senior players.

Looking good.
  • Options
    Call me an old softie, but a shame the club don't at least say thank you and good luck when they release players any more. Consistent with the way RD has treated everyone else though ..
  • Options
    It's hard to disagree with the ten that have been released. If there are ten better replacements, we should all be happier.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Right, so now we not only have no manager but only about half a dozen senior players.

Looking good.

Nonsense! We have 15 decent players signed up long term and a number of players with contracts offered...
    Nothing more to add ;)
  • Options
    Echo that.
  • Options
    Good luck for the future Leon! You and Morro were awesome last year
  • Options
    All the best Leon, a very solid defender and a top bloke.
  • Options
    Corster said:

Just like to say that I thank you all for the support you've given me in the couple years I've had there. I've enjoyed it all....especially the first league goal against Birmingham. Some like me and some don't, which is completely fine as you can't be everyone's cup of tea. But I always gave my all and you guys gave it back to me and I felt real love from you guys all the time. All the best for the future and hope the club gets stability soon! You deserve it. I hope to get a club as I feel good again. But you guys have been FANTASTIC! Good times and bad you've stuck with me and the boys!

Be good!
    Corty.

Leon, I met you at Bromley a while back. You're a smashing bloke, as are the other players I've met.

There's no doubt in my mind that you always gave 100% and I've never heard any fan criticise you.

Yes, everyone had their opinions, as to the best of the 4 centre halves, but no one had a bad word to say about you.

I reckon your injuries have counted against you with RD looking at value for money, otherwise I'm confident you would have got another contract.

Anyway, all the best & thanks for being a total pro & decent bloke.
  • Options
    Thanks for everything Leon, best of luck mate.
  • Options
    Good luck to them all, they all played a part to a greater or lesser extent. Wish them all well.

However, none have left so far that I'm particularly bothered about. Really hope we can persuade Dervite, Morro and Poyet to stay though.