Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Drummer Lee Rigby - Lest We Forget

12 months ago today people.

Lest we forget.

RIP Lee and my thoughts are with your family.

Comments

• RIP...
  • RIP. What a horrible day that was for all.
  • RIP........
  • Thoughts are with his family today...RIP
  • Ditto R.I.P
  • Family want a memorial in Woolwich, many of the locals agree as does the mayor but the labour MP doesn't. Still think and hope it will happen though.
  • Sponsored links:

• R.I.P thoughts are with his family and friends today
  • there is a memeorial walk this Saturday------No flags-----no politics------no chanting/singing ----its a silent tribute --- as requested by his family who will be there)------starts at 2 PM from the White Horse pub.

• God bless RIP
  • edited May 2014
    Interesting piece from the Times yesterday on building a memorial for Lee Rigby -

Rigby’s killers don’t deserve a memorial to their vile deed

How tempting it is to damn the council jobsworths who snubbed a petition by 12,000 people to erect a memorial to Fusilier Lee Rigby on the spot where he was hacked to death in Woolwich a year ago.
    And how easy to savage the local MP for opposing the memorial because it “might attract undesirable interest from extremists”. So, too, might mosques, synagogues and churches, but we don’t remove them from the streets.
    Yet however wrong the reasoning may be, Woolwich would be better off without this memorial. Rigby’s murder was an outrage but it was, after all, just another horrible street crime by killers with a warped view of society. It does not deserve to be granted any wider significance. Rigby’s killers would love it if their deed were made to stand out like a skirmish in a Holy War.
    We shouldn’t be feeding their poisonous philosophy by building what they would love to think of their Place de la Bastille, the scene of a great triumph.
    True, the victims of other notorious murders have stones to mark where they were slain. PC Yvonne Fletcher has one in St James’s Square. PC Keith Blakelock has a polished granite stone near the site of his murder at Broadwater Farm. Stephen Lawrence has a stone set into the pavement in Eltham.
    But it is a practice that risks getting out of hand. There are upwards of 600 murders a year, for each of whom a case could be made for a memorial. Accept one and councils will find themselves under pressure to accept them all.
    Worse, they are going to be concentrated in areas trying to shake off violent pasts, blighting them for ever. Fancy investing in a street where there are constant reminders that someone was shot in a gangland killing, someone else stabbed for their mobile phone and another person mown down in a road-rage attack?
    Of course, Lee Rigby will not be forgotten but he should be remembered as he was, not a soldier cut down in battle but a young man murdered while peacefully going about his business.
    Like the most violent neighbourhoods, Woolwich should be allowed to escape the legacy of street crime. It shouldn’t be turned into an open-air museum of murder sites, still less presented as a battleground in a religious war.
  • Can't believe that was a year ago. Gone so quick. RIP.
  • Rip lee my thoughts are with his family

• RIP. How quick has it gone since that day. Thoughts with his family
  • I live in Woolwich and went for a day trip on that day. When I arrived back at Woolwich Arsenal station I could sense that something was wrong as soon as I stepped off the train. What a shock it was as I gathered the facts of what happened. RIP Drummer Rigby and God bless your soul.
  • Sponsored links:

• RIP.
    LBC did a very good retelling of the events of that day this morning, sent shivers down my spine.

It ended with "You will remember where you were on 22nd of May" I know for sure I do.
  • Odd that there's no article on the BBC website ..
  • J BLOCK said:

Odd that there's no article on the BBC website ..

Is it?? Not surprising.
  • J BLOCK said:

There is, talks about the memorial idea and the Council saying they would do what the Army requested.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-27500060

It also reports that the family don't want a memorial there. If true, it should be respected.

RIP

• RIP Lee. Not forgotten.
  • rananegra said:

J BLOCK said:

There is, talks about the memorial idea and the Council saying they would do what the Army requested.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-27500060

It also reports that the family don't want a memorial there. If true, it should be respected.

RIP

21 May 2014 Last updated at 13:38
  • I tried to find the original thread from here which started as the first reports were coming out of an incident in Woolwich but cant find it. I have read it back since. It will take you right back to that day last year, if anyone finds it.

And if you have time to read it of course.
  • RIP poor soul