Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Meeting Matt Tees

Comments

• I think matts finest 90 minutes was the 1970 FA cup game at highbury where he won every header & challenge against Ian Ure who was then the current Scotland centre half .
  • Sorry about the tom simson photo but I pressed the wrong button & am unable to edit out .
  • Last signed book has now gone.
  • An update.

Just got a letter from May Tees

"Dear Ben,

Lovely to hear from you. The summary from Clive was great (we said Matt a print out of this thread). I have just shown Matt the website which was very pleasing for him.

Enclosed are the photos and the form for the medal for the museum as requested. (Matt has donated his Roma medal to the museum and signed some A4 photos for us)

We wish you well with the museum and very much hope one day we will get to see it.

May Tees"

May has also put us in touch with her brother Charlie Wright so me and Clive (SG3toSE7) hope to visit him soon.
  • Matt Tees, Charlie Wright and Alan Campbell my three childhood hero's. Would love to see them back at the Valley as guests if the club. Great proper footballing day's.
  • Matt Tees and Rodney Green were both signed from Grimsby at the same time.

They both used to run in from the edge of the penalty area at corners.

Worked very well at first but injury restricted the number of games they played together.

Wish the club would try the same tactics nowadays. Would reduce the amount of shirt pulling and handbags at 5 paces.
  • Proper Charlton Life thread.

Loved watching Matt Tees. Great header of the ball.
    Quiet and unthreatening on the park, then he'd just ghost in and the ball was nestling in the back of the net.

Took such a battering from defenders at times, but just picked himself up and got on with his game.

His goals did all his talking for him.
  • Sorting some old records at the Valley today and found the Club's property book.

Matt lived at 15 Zangwill Road, Charlton and paid £1.10/- (£1.50 to you kids) a week rent.

• I was meant to clear the loft out yesterday - starting with old football programs. The programs are now in date order - and safely back in the loft - can’t bear to throw them away. Luckily I realised that there’d be a storage problem in 1973 and stopped buying them then. Mind you I started again during the premiership years.

Found this one featuring Matt Tees on the cover. I was interested to read inside that Bob Stokoe had missed the previous game due to a scouting mission. Left to take charge in his absence - Colin Cowdrey. I bet they had a jolly good tea at half time!

My memories of Matt are of him lingering on the far side of the area waiting for a corner to be taken. He’d then run in and hurtle himself through the air - if he connected, it’d hit the back of the net like an exocet.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2014

I was meant to clear the loft out yesterday - starting with old football programs. The programs are now in date order - and safely back in the loft - can’t bear to throw them away. Luckily I realised that there’d be a storage problem in 1973 and stopped buying them then. Mind you I started again during the premiership years.

Found this one featuring Matt Tees on the cover. I was interested to read inside that Bob Stokoe had missed the previous game due to a scouting mission. Left to take charge in his absence - Colin Cowdrey. I bet they had a jolly good tea at half time!

My memories of Matt are of him lingering on the far side of the area waiting for a corner to be taken. He’d then run in and hurtle himself through the air - if he connected, it’d hit the back of the net like an exocet.

Excellent. Did Harry Gregory really play right-back in that game? Like the name of the ref: Mr Spittle, from Norfolk. And very strange that both linesmen came all the way from Carmarthen.

• Thanks Viewfinder. Your points made me re-check the program - what with the Colin Cowdrey thing etc. and I certainly don't recall Harry G at fullback. I wondered if it was an April fool thing? It was dated April 22 1967 so I don't think so. Cowdrey was on the board for a time, but I'm sure there must have been more suitable candidates to take charge. It's a funny old game.
  • I remember a game at Fratton park, matt walked off at half time shorts ripped blood coming from his head and face, still come back second half and played a blinder, think they done us four nil that day, we'll make up for that in the play offs tho..
  • He scored the first ever goal I saw scored for us, at The Valley back in 1968. Still got a birthday card signed by him and the rest of the team, I received on my 8th birthday.
    I'm jealous
  • I used to call him The Flying Scotsman........for obvious reasons.
  • He was called Lino by the guys who stood near my Dad and me,it was years after I realised Lino ????= MAT
  • I used to call him The Flying Scotsman........for obvious reasons.
    We still call him ‘Sir Matt Tees’.
    thats Blackpool 72, Treacy69. 
  • He was called Lino by the guys who stood near my Dad and me,it was years after I realised Lino ????= MAT
    the other theory was that he spent so much time on the floor after being fouled or injured
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2019
    Matt Tees was my first real hero at Cafc.
    One game on a dirty rainy day he scored a bullet header at the covered end and the spray from the net soaked me in Charlton joy.
    Matt Tees reminded me of Douglas Bader in many ways because he was better in the air But TBF to Matt he could still knock a few in with his feet.

Two great strikers who had the Grimsby connection with Matt and Clive. Three if you count Rodney Green ?  As you were, Two great strikers who had Grimsby connections.

My first born, is called Matthew, I'm sure my daughter understands why !
  • I remember Matt's Two goals against Cloughies Derby side. Fantastic game! A Fantastic player!
    Best wishes to him and his family
  • edited April 2019
    I remember Matt's Two goals against Cloughies Derby side. Fantastic game! A Fantastic player!

Matt scored the second goal, a header which hit the post, trickled along the goal line and was a) blown by the wind or b) sucked in by the Covered End, into the net. The first goal was Ray Treacy's volley, a strong candidate for CAFC Greatest Goal of all Time. 

Matt Tees was a truly wonderful player - all best wishes to him.

• Acab said:
    I used to call him The Flying Scotsman........for obvious reasons.
    We still call him ‘Sir Matt Tees’.
    thats Blackpool 72, Treacy69. 
    He will always be Sir Matt Tees to me and you mate.
    Considering his size he is by far the best header of a ball I've seen in a Charlton shirt. 
  • Love Matt Tees! Always gave his all, 100%. Fantastic in the air and always got loads of free kicks when bundled over.
  • I remember Matt's Two goals against Cloughies Derby side. Fantastic game! A Fantastic player!
    In the home game Matt scored one & Ray Treacy with a fantastic volley got the other.

Can't remember who scored at the Baseball Ground in a 2-1 defeat maybe Matt & that's what you were referring to, we were brilliant that day didn't deserve to lose & hit the woodwork 4 times.
    In the home game Matt scored one & Ray Treacy with a fantastic volley got the other.

Can't remember who scored at the Baseball Ground in a 2-1 defeat maybe Matt & that's what you were referring to, we were brilliant that day didn't deserve to lose & hit the woodwork 4 times.
    Harry Gregory scored our goal, if I remember.

I was there at the Baseball Ground on that dismal grey afternoon and the Derby fans were making a real noisy atmosphere.

When we went 1-0 up about the 25th minute, the silence was deafening.

We gave them a real fight that day, but Clough's Derby were not top of the League for no reason - and they finally edged it 2-1. 

one of the best games I've seen at the Valley .. most of those Derby players were still in the team that won the Championship (old style Premier League Title) a few seasons later
  • What a player...used to hang in the air when he jumped..always seemed taller ...and always looked about 30 years older than he actually was...

Lovely memories of him