Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Callum Harriott

Been saying this for a while to the people around me in the Upper North and after yesterday they finally agreed,
Can someone on here please tell me what he offers to the team,
Someone next to me said pace, but what good is pace if you cant cross or even pass a ball.

And I know its about more than one chance but seriously
against Sheff Utd he had a open goal and it cost us
against Millwall he had a clear chance and it cost us
against Barnsley he had a free header and it cost us

I dont see why Wilson dont play RM when Solly is at RB

for the life of me I dont know what he offers the team and how anyone could say he is good enough for this level

Comments

• He had a blinder against Sheffield Wednesday in the FA Cup. Also consider the fact that he is a kid.

But otherwise I do agree that the Wilson and Solly partnership is a valuable asset we should be exploiting.
  • No argument from me
  • He was young, confident and not willing to be Charltonised

We fans weren't having any of that and a few boos soon sorted him out
  • I dont get all these he is young comments

he is 20 so not that young and if he is to young for first team then dont put him there
  • He clearly has ability but needs to be managed carefully as he is having a bad season and his confidence must be rock bottom. Playing him out of position for so long didn't do him any favours. Also doesn't help his confidence/ performances when sections of the crowd get on his back.
  • edited April 2014

Been saying this for a while to the people around me in the Upper North and after yesterday they finally agreed,
    Can someone on here please tell me what he offers to the team,
    Someone next to me said pace, but what good is pace if you cant cross or even pass a ball.

And I know its about more than one chance but seriously
    against Sheff Utd he had a open goal and it cost us
    against Millwall he had a clear chance and it cost us
    against Barnsley he had a free header and it cost us

I dont see why Wilson dont play RM when Solly is at RB

for the life of me I dont know what he offers the team and how anyone could say he is good enough for this level

I'm not going to argue about yesterday he had a 'mare.

However let's look at him. He is 20 (just) and in his second season (proper) having made a brief cameo back in 2011 I think it was.

As in other sports like cricket players suffer from second season syndrome whereby gnarled old pros work out their strengths and weaknesses.

Our young "Callum Messi" has to learn that he needs more than flashy stepovers to beat a man in this game and that mentally he needs to be "on it" all the time. Compare and contrast his mental attitude with another player of his age, Cousins.

Harriott has strengths. He has a bit of pace, does not shy from physical confrontation and works hard as wingers go. He needs to think about games like yesterday and learn from his mistakes. If he does we will have a player but it is down to him.

You mention chances he has missed and that is an area he needs to work on although I would argue that he actually did well to get a contact at all with the Sheffield united one as he was always stretching.

Anyway the case for the defence your honour!

EDIT: His confidence is low and he should be used as an impact sub against tiring defenders to rebuild it.
  • It was around a year ago when the boy came onto the scene and looked a real exciting young talent, offered a 3 year deal and everybody on here was pleased.

He's young and his form has dipped. Give him a chance.

Wingers are the worst for blowing hot and cold. Lets not totally write him off yet.

Agreed Gary, though its pretty painful seeing someone clearly out of form / confidence. Three times in the last two home games he's had a run with pace at an isolated full back, 1 on 1 with no other defender within 20 yards, and royally messed it up every time. That should be a wingers dream.

He clearly is uncomfortable on the right, and should not feature there again.

Last week I said he was the new Jamal Campbell Ryce. After last night he needs to be careful he is not the next Jermaine Darlington.

• He was awful yesterday. But it is important to try and understand why rather than just have a go at him.

He is a decent player. He came in the scene last year and had a huge impact. Whether this made him think he had made it I don't know. However, he has enough about him to make a real impact for us.

Unfortunately he is low in confidence and for the more skilful, individual players this stands out a mile. So playing him on the right in such a pressure game was a bad decision by Riga. He must accept some of the responsibility for Harriott's performance.

But Hariott didn't hide or stop wanting the ball. When he came off he almost acknowledged the fact he had a bad game to the crowd with an apologetic gesture of holding his hands up.

He also walked towards Riga anticipating a handshake. One was not forthcoming and this will do,little to build his confidence.

I'm not sure what will happen to him should we stay up but if we are relegated he could be a very decent player next year.
  • Sponsored links:

• I dont get all these he is young comments

he is 20 so not that young and if he is to young for first team then dont put him there

Eh??

There is a thing called consistency, which as a footballer, usually comes with experience, which in turn comes with age.

The kid has had just 40 professional appearances, and in a flourishing team at the end of last season, was full of confidence and flair.

This season he's been in and out of a struggling side and the form/consistency hasn't come.

If he's turning in inconsistent performances at 27 (see Lloyd Sam) then its time to think he's not Championship standard.
  • Yes he was awful yesterday but he is a LEFT winger not a right winger. the other thing is he isn't a Cameron Stewart/Jerome Thomas type where he likes to cut in and cross/shoot he is a direct player and likes to be on his strongest side the left. Felt sorry for him yesterday even though that header was quite pathetic. Strangest thing about yesterday was he got put on the left for 1 minute and in that minute he got over 2 decent balls and took a couple of players on then was subbed off.
  • I'm not going to dig out Harriot. His form is appalling and he was as frustrated with his game yesterday as the rest of us. But he never hid and he tried to keep going, keep his discipline, and tried to find that spark of confidence. The timing of his replacement, when he was having his best spell in the game in his position, was unfortunate at best. He's a team player, which is more than you can say for the talented but self-serving and indisciplined Reza.
  • Not that I'm making a comparison, but Ronaldo, messi and bale weren't anywhere near the finished product at 20 years old. Part of the reason the England side and depth is so poor is because as coaches, managers and fans we write off players far too early in their lives. If a player isn't near the first team at 21 then it's time to move them on. Callum has been in around the first team for coming up to 2 seasons and he's only 20. He's obviously low on confidence. I do feel he could do with not playing for the rest of the season and starting again in pre season with hopefully some better players around him.
  • edited April 2014
    This time last year he was an integral part of our surge up the table. Obviously his confidence is low, and will continue to take a battering with performances like last night. Might be best for the team, and himself if he doesn't play again until our fate in this division is sealed. Let's not give up on him yet
  • edited April 2014
    rikofold said:

I'm not going to dig out Harriot. His form is appalling and he was as frustrated with his game yesterday as the rest of us. But he never hid and he tried to keep going, keep his discipline, and tried to find that spark of confidence. The timing of his replacement, when he was having his best spell in the game in his position, was unfortunate at best. He's a team player, which is more than you can say for the talented but self-serving and indisciplined Reza.

Agree with your post until this part.

No sure why you are digging out another player thats played completely out of position and is new to the English game and club??
  • "a few boos sorted himout"-----do feck off----------how does playing on the wrong side of the pitch stop him controlling a football------or passing it ? or running into space ? or not falling over ?
  • Works hard and gets stuck in. However, he appears to lack awareness and his decision making is often poor. Often seems to play completely instinctively making him hard to play against when it's working, but impossible to play with when it's not. Has the tool kit, but needs to be taught how to use it since that almost certainly won't come naturally to him. Hope he makes it, but suspect he won't.
  • "a few boos sorted himout"-----do feck off----------how does playing on the wrong side of the pitch stop him controlling a football------or passing it ? or running into space ? or not falling over ?

this - he's a professional footballer for christs sake, he's left footed playing on the right, as a winger it's not that big a deal, he should be able to cope alot better than he did....notwithstanding that most of his mistakes were just basic errors, he couldn't trap a wet bag of cement...and as for his header (doesn't matter which foot he kicks with that was just embarrassing.....and yes I'm STILL pissed off about the shambles last night despite 3 pints at lunch to try and get over it!
  • Sponsored links:

• The loud and often obscene vocal abuse of a talented home-grown young player last night was even more embarrassing than his very poor performance.

No, for once it actually wasn't. I'm not a person who boos players but some of the stuff Harriott did (or failed to do) was genuinely shocking. He's got potential and he has his moments but I don't think you can blame any fans for reacting in disbelief last night

• The loud and often obscene vocal abuse of a talented home-grown young player last night was even more embarrassing than his very poor performance.

No, for once it actually wasn't. I'm not a person who boos players but some of the stuff Harriott did (or failed to do) was genuinely shocking. He's got potential and he has his moments but I don't think you can blame any fans for reacting in disbelief last night
    Disbelief and frustration I understand- standing and screaming at one of our own players that he is "f~cking sh~t" and a "useless f+cking c+nt" consistently for about 20 mins is embarrassing (or at least it was to me).
    Agreed... Someone needs to prove to me where this sort of abuse has actually paid off cos I've never known it to

If your going to turn up then support the team... If you think your going to get frustrated and if you think your going to abuse the players then dont go and do something else with your time because its doing more damage at the end of the day
  • edited April 2014

rikofold said:

I'm not going to dig out Harriot. His form is appalling and he was as frustrated with his game yesterday as the rest of us. But he never hid and he tried to keep going, keep his discipline, and tried to find that spark of confidence. The timing of his replacement, when he was having his best spell in the game in his position, was unfortunate at best. He's a team player, which is more than you can say for the talented but self-serving and indisciplined Reza.

Agree with your post until this part.

No sure why you are digging out another player thats played completely out of position and is new to the English game and club??
    Not digging him out as much as making an observation. When watching him, I can't quite help but thinking he's playing for the name on the back rather than the badge on the front, as talented as he is.
  • He didn't play well but playing him on the right doesn't help him. I can understand why Powell and Riga have tried it, he's got a better shot than cross, but he doesn't look as comfortable there.

Agree with Mundell, awareness and decision making is what he lacks, as well as composure at times. I think he's got the pace, skill and fitness. Works hard compared to most wingers. Strong for his size. Has a decent shot and isn't afraid to shoot from long range.

I wouldn't write him off yet. His career has been a bit up and down. As an u16 he broke into the u18s a season early and the following season made his first team debut. Then he had to fight for his place in the u18s with Pigott, Azeez and Sho-Silva making a lot of starts and he wasn't anywhere near the first team. Last season he broke through and this season he's not pushed on.

Perhaps a better and more attacking team will help him next season. If we have a stronger squad he'll need to improve if he wants to stay at the club. If we go down a season in League 1 might not be a bad thing for him.
  • Move on...give him the confidence he needs by supporting him and he will play alot better than he did last night.
  • edited April 2014
    He was woeful
    He needs to spend less time talking nonsensical bollocks on twitter and more time on the training pitch
    I'm not buying into a lack of confidence, he seems to me to not a have football brain, the only real way to play him in is out on the left - Powell tried him in a free role behind the forward this season and now Riga has played him wide right in a three upfront and it doesn't work, it seems to take an almighty effort to A control the ball, B get his head up and, C asses his options and choose the best one, this is compounded by the fact we often don't seem to get passed point A
    I'm sorry if this is harsh and I agree sarcastically cheering making a successful pass or when his subbed doesn't help in the slightest but he is a reasonably paid young man who seems based on last night at least to be unable to manage the very basics of his job

Disbelief and frustration I understand- standing and screaming at one of our own players that he is "f~cking sh~t" and a "useless f+cking c+nt" consistently for about 20 mins is embarrassing (or at least it was to me).
    I would agree with you there. I didn't hear any of that where I was sat though, mostly disbelief and shocked laughter
  • I think the thing which does most people's nuts about Harriot, is his general attitude he gives off on twitter. Calling himself Messi for a start is laughable. Compare the kind of crap Harriot comes out with compared to Diego on twitter and its hilarious that the one who appears pretty arrogant is leagues below the ability of Poyet, who seems to be relatively humble. If he drops the ego, works on his game and gets back to what we have seen glimpses of, he can be a tidy player.

Furthermoe, it doesn't matter what foot you play with or on which side, that header was criminal. It's alarming hwo many times this season I have watched passages of play and thought I could genuinely do as well, if not better than these professionals.
  • edited April 2014
    I rate him but he should play on the left. He's one of the few attack minded players we have.