Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - Friday 12th March 1982 Charlton 5 Orient 2

edited March 2007 in General Charlton
Friday 12th March 1982. Charlton Athletic 5 (1) L Phillips 40, Walsh 52, Lansdowne 54 67, Gritt 89. Orient 2 (1) Jennings 32 Silkman 78. Att:5,871

Charlton: Johns, Naylor, Elliott, Mehmet, Gritt, L Phillips, Lansdowne, Walsh, Hales, Berry, Robinson. Unused sub: Ambrose.

Orient: Day, Foster, Roffey, Fisher, Gray, Margerrison, Godfrey, Jennings, Moores, Silkman, Hughton. Unused sub: Hallybone.

Referee: Clive Thomas (Treorchy)

This victory was Charltons 12th match unbeaten, the best by any side at that stage of the season. The run was to end the following week on the plastic pitch at Loftus Road where a Clive Allen hat-trick helped Rangers to a 4-0 win.

Derek hales and Paul Walsh both scored 13 goals for the Addicks during this season.

Aston Villa won the European Cup this season, beating Bayern Munich 1-0 in Rotterdam.

Comments

• went to this one, i feel old now 25 years ago.... any idea why it was on the friday?? most famous man on the pitch must've been the ref , clive 'the book' thomas...another bumper gate!!
  • Went to this one with my parents and little brother so sat in the stand in front of John Motson who signed my brother's programme.

Fortunately for me in the seventies and early eighties we often had Friday evening and other floodlit fixtures which meant that I saw more matches than I would have done otherwise as I played sport on saturdays in those days.
  • I went to this game as well but not much has stuck in my normally photo like memory..:-) Its the age you know!!

Billy Lansdowne getting a brace. He was distinctly average as I recall Odd that we scored five and yet neither Killer or Martin Robinson scored.
  • I missed this game but went to the 4-0 at Loftus Rd. Great choice.
  • Until a few months back i swore that Gritty's rocket at the end was against Southampton (6-2). The man himself put me right much to my embarrassment !
    I knew it was right at the end because we'd made our way up to the top of the East terrace by the Sam Bartram gates for a quick exit.
  • I'm sure I was there too, but a bit like Bing, it's all a bit vague now.
  • YESSS!!!

The first game I REALLY remember going to (I'd been to loads more before, but for the life of me I can't remember much about them).

On the other hand, i remember this game like it was yesterday - Nicky Johns threw the ball over the halfway line for Walshy's goal and I remember going, with childlike incredulity: "wow!" and promptly having the piss taken out of me by my uncle.

Christ we were magic in that game - God alone only knows how Orient took the lead. Incidentally, this game led to my name - Leroy was an unused sub and signed my programme. He also ruffled the top of my head (cue more pisstaking from my family) as he did so. I remember thinking he was the coolest bloke I'd ever seen - his afro was wicked.
  • Was standing on the EAST terrace with a mate in acres of space, we were able to go being a Friday, we were playing Saturday. Orient were struggling I think they were at the bottom of the league, seem to remember it being cold.
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Billy Lansdowne getting a brace. He was distinctly average as I recall Odd that we scored five and yet neither Killer or Martin Robinson scored.

Lansdowne was a West Ham reject and a bit of an Alan Devonshire wannabe as I recall.

I just looked him up on Wiki and it looks like he finished his career in Sweden: Lansdowne was top scorer in the Swedish league in the 1985 season, scoring ten goals!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Lansdowne
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm not sure if this was the year the O's got relegated. Before this I had always considered them as close rivals ( a bit like Fulham ) because we played them most seasons. Before 1981/82 I think they had been at the second tier of English football for over ten years .

I like looking at team line ups for old games and notice 'Merv the swerve' was in Goal for them and the hapless Nigel Gray ( who later had a disasterous loan for us ) is at Centre Back.

On to the game I remember Leighton Phillips who was a sort of Christian Dailly type defender who obviously had class but his best days were behind him when he joined us scored that night and Billy Landsdowne one of the many Academy products from West Ham scoring a brace.
  • I was there that night. I'm sure Billy Lansdowne had some sort of record of only scoring in midweek, didn't score on a Saturday for 2 or 3 years in the early 80s...Anyone confirm this?!
  • A bit late bumping this. One of those memorable Friday evening games.
  • edited March 2014
    I just noticed adding to my earlier comments that the legendary Clive Thomas was the ref.

In those days pre premiership often the top officials took games outside the top flight towards the end of the season. 'The book' was a regular at the Valley.He was controversial though, I think he is probably best remembered for disallowing Zico's goal in the 1978 World Cup because he blew up for full time after the corner had been taken but before the Brazilian had headed into the net.

• I too was at this and for some reason those evening matches under floodlights were extra special.

Blimey seems like CL 2014 made up most of the crowd that night.
  • I remember going with a mate of mine, who was an Orient fan (which at age 15 in the early 80's is rare) and we sat in the South, sorry Henry, the Jimmy Seed stand. This was not long after the seats had gone in & was under cover - all I can remember is Gritty's screamer for our 5th !!
  • Was in my last year at school, great goal by Gritt, can't recall much else but then it was 32 years ago.
  • Also went to QPR the following week...with that poxy plastic pitch.
  • Remember Gritty`s blockbuster into the top corner at the Covered End to wrap it up for us! Also went QPR, hated the plastic pitch but Clive Allen was a class act back then!
  • Yeah I remember Steve Gritt's goal too. Was right behind it in the covered end when it flew in. I swear he had the hardest shot of any Charlton player I've ever seen. Another that comes to mind was a couple of years later in an FA Cup replay vs Spurs at the Valley which Clemence somehow managed to save.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bring back Friday nights at The Valley!
  • 37 years ago get away
  • Bring back Friday nights at The Valley!

Can't see Roland paying out for the extra electricity for the floodlights.
  • How many smallwall there playing up on our behalf :wink:
  • Oh dear, I feel very old. I can recall the evening, who I was with and the number of pints we managed in the Bugle Horn afterwards. Where have those 37 years gone?
  • I remember both games.
    I'm sure Gritt smashed in a late 4th v Orient and I recall being thrashed at QPR, which I think was a midweek game.
  • I remember both games.
    I'm sure Gritt smashed in a late 4th v Orient and I recall being thrashed at QPR, which I think was a midweek game.
    No it was a Saturday and we lost 4-0 on the plastic. Think Gary Bannister got a couple.
  • I remember both games.
    No it was a Saturday and we lost 4-0 on the plastic. Think Gary Bannister got a couple.
    The run was to end the following week on the plastic pitch at Loftus Road where a Clive Allen hat-trick helped Rangers to a 4-0 win.
  • It upsets me that I have no recollection of this game and yet I was almost certainly there, having been a season ticket holder for 10 years and a regular for 20.
    My short term memory has been shot for ages and now it seems my long term memory is starting to let me down. Worrying  :(
  • It upsets me that I have no recollection of this game and yet I was almost certainly there, having been a season ticket holder for 10 years and a regular for 20.
    My short term memory has been shot for ages and now it seems my long term memory is starting to let me down. Worrying  :(
    And you still owe me £20.