Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The gentleman that is Chris Powell

I have now met Chris Powell locally on a few occasions on our local high street. As many of you will know he is always approachable, amenable and has always taken time to stop and chat for several minutes. After seeing Chris again this evening, I for one hope he is at this football club for a long time to come yet and I believe given the correct backing and support will take this club forward. He at least deserves this opportunity for what he has achieved at this club and the feelings he has for it, hopefully with a run of good results the Powell out now threads will disappear in to the trash bins and stay there. Chris Powell you are a gentleman and in you we trust.

Comments

• I hope you gave him a bit of advice on not playing players out of position and when he should use the subs.
  • I have now met Chris Powell locally on a few occasions on our local high street. As many of you will know he is always approachable, amenable and has always taken time to stop and chat for several minutes. After seeing Chris again this evening, I for one hope he is at this football club for a long time to come yet and I believe given the correct backing and support will take this club forward. He at least deserves this opportunity for what he has achieved at this club and the feelings he has for it, hopefully with a run of good results the Powell out now threads will disappear in to the trash bins and stay there. Chris Powell you are a gentleman and in you we trust.

What did he say?
  • No-one (worth taking at all seriously) is questioning his character, merely his competence. Rightly or wrongly is still up in the air perhaps! Even if he does get backing, my own feeling is that the really bad damage is done already.
  • I'm sure he is a total nice guy, but, you need to win games these days - CP is not insulated... You hear Moyes out or Wenger out most weeks - we are all very fickle with our clubs - it's not personal to the manager.
  • He can only use what he has at his disposal, I won't go into what was said but if a lot of the Powell doubters had the same conversation as I did, I think many would change their minds.
  • Nice one, CSCAFC

Bet there'll be a few more Addicks down Coulsdon High Street next week...stalker alert !
  • Lol, Closer to Kingswood/Tadworth.
  • Lol, Closer to Kingswood/Tadworth.

Are we getting warmer ?

• Unfortunately, @CoulsdonSouthCAFC I'm not sure that anything "reason-able" would change the minds of a good portion of the anti-Powellites.
  • I agree totally mate, and salute you in not breaking confidences.

But at the end of the day, he's a decent bloke seeing out his contract.

Such a shame.
  • Sponsored links:

• Wow dan I've just read this thread through and you just ruined the end you miserable git!

Anyway Chrissy P wish you all the best my old friend! X x
  • I agree totally mate, and salute you in not breaking confidences.

But at the end of the day, he's a decent bloke seeing out his contract.

Such a shame.

Sincerely hope that's not the case. Been there myself and I know that I was not 100% focused or motivated towards the end. I'm still hoping that he can turn things around with a couple of good wins, but we are at a critical stage and if they don't come very quickly, we may sadly have to part ways with CP.

• edited February 2014

He can only use what he has at his disposal, I won't go into what was said but if a lot of the Powell doubters had the same conversation as I did, I think many would change their minds.

Interesting. Would love to sit down with Powell and know what we has really been happening. Hope he can earn a new deal!!!
  • You missed out Sir in the title
  • Only a truly massive showing of support could save him now. If we're all so gutted about it, maybe we should do something.
  • Chunes said:

Only a truly massive showing of support could save him now. If we're all so gutted about it, maybe we should do something.

I think its time the players showed their support and played to their best which the haven't been. The fans on the whole have been fantastic to Powell, probably the most loved manager in the country. The players can get him and the club out of this mess. He could help himself by playing the best team and not the best players.
  • If anyone reads the "I" newspaper, there's a short article on CP. Nothing ground breaking but mentions the loss of key players, the new relationship with RD and the "financial stagnation" over the last two seasons. Good to see some coverage in the national press.
  • who on earth is flagging some of those comments above??
  • who on earth is flagging some of those comments above??

The Powell fanatics.
  • There seems to be a general acceptance that CP is going to be shown the door, either soon or when his contract expires at the end of the season. I'm not so sure it is that cut and dried. If we go down he is a goner for sure, but if he can use the new players at his disposal to keep us up I reckon (and am hoping) that he may be given the chance to properly show what he can do with the right backing - like he did in the L1 championship season. Some of the comments about CP from the new Board seem a little warmer than I might have expected if they had already made their minds up.
  • Sponsored links:

• I like Powell as a person and he has done great work to get us promoted and getting us to ninth last season. But judging him as a football Manager and not as a former player of ours, to me, he has made too many mistakes this season. His use of subs, his constant tinkering with the team, the playing of players out of position, the sticking with players even when they are playing poorly. All this smacks of a Manager not on top of his game. There have been extenuating circumstances, but taking that all into account I don't feel that he has done a good job.
    Also I find this extreme love in with Powell a bit disturbing. It seems to cloud peoples judgement. I would be as happy as anyone if Powell saves us from relegation, but I really can't see it. I hope I am wrong.
  • edited February 2014
    Unfortunately, most of the best managers and coaches in the world are complete %$^&*£!!!!!!!!

Agree though he's a very nice man.
  • I think what a lot of people have to remember is that he has had to endure more in three years than what some managers have experienced in ten years and he is only three years into his management career!
  • Some of the players CP has had to work with have been shocking.
  • Some of the players CP has had to work with have been shocking.

Some of the players Parky had to work with were shocking, but he got dogs abuse on here by some.

• dickplumb said:

I l Powell as a person and he has done great work to get us promoted and getting us to ninth last season. But judging him as a football Manager and not as a former player of ours, to me, he has made too many mistakes this season. His use of subs, his constant tinkering with the team, the playing of players out of position, the sticking with players even when they are playing poorly. All this smacks of a Manager not on top of his game. There have been extenuating circumstances, but taking that all into account I don't feel that he has done a good job.
    Also I find this extreme love in with Powell a bit disturbing. It seems to cloud peoples judgement. I would be as happy as anyone if Powell saves us from relegation, but I really can't see it. I hope I am wrong.

If he is a dead man walking and the players know it, our season's over already.
  • He can only use what he has at his disposal, I won't go into what was said but if a lot of the Powell doubters had the same conversation as I did, I think many would change their minds.

If what he said would 'change doubters' minds', and the point of this thread is to support Powell, then surely shareing what was said is the obvious thing to do. I also want Powell to stay but dont really see the point of this thread...even the doubters arnt questioning his integrity or personality, simply his managerial skills.

• edited February 2014
    I am not anti Powell but comments like this do not help produce a balanced debate. Neither do sycophantic threads. Neither does killing off every anti- Powell thread before it can be seen, but allowing any number of pro- Powell threads ( no matter how thinly disguised)

I think we should keep him, but he has areas he needs to develop. He has some responsibility for our results and nice guy or not really does not enter into most peoples estimation of what makes a good Manager. Labelling them all as unreasonable is on about the same level as the "Powells crap" posts that sometimes get left.

Stop polishing his halo for goodness sake!

( no matter how thinly disguised)blockquote class="Quote" rel="LoOkOuT">Unfortunately, @CoulsdonSouthCAFC I'm not sure that anything "reason-able" would change the minds of a good portion of the anti-Powellites.