Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Smith - progress at Rotherham (p18)

Comments

• No disrespect to Smith but I'm hoping for a better option coming in during the window than an untried player.

I am not having a go but Chris Solly was also untried once. So was Wagstaff and Jenkinson and Cousins. If anything Smith is more tried than the others and although the defending was poor in his compilation clip, Smith is in those right positions to stick them in the back of the net. It seems to be that we've sent him on loan to 3 different clubs and he's done well at all 3.

3 in 6 at Accrington
    2 in 8 at Colchester
    10 in 24 at AFC Wimbledon.

The problem I have though is that the majority of his goals are due to service into the strikers. We don't do that enough. I'd like to see him come off the bench vs Barnsley.

Of course every single player on earth was once untried. I'm not a a critic of either Smith or Pigott but let's face facts. We are three points off the drop and cannot afford to get relegated under any circumstances. I think it would be foolhardy of SCP to even consider giving the responsibility of saving our bacon to either.

I agree completely. We do need another striker who's proven at this level. At the moment it's Kermorgant and Church with Smith and Pigott as back up as Sordell is injured. We can't put our faith in Smith or Pigott but I think that Smith deserves a chance.
  • with the right players around him we should give him a chance
  • The worst that can happen is that he has a poor game, which is not unknown, even Yann had 4 or 5 poor games getting match-fit. Church rarely threatens to score so maybe we've got a situation like the England cricket team where the newcomers are expected to to better than the seniors, who are considered undroppable.
  • I think people are over talking the service/lack of service, if actually see a few of his goals, the service is no better than we offer, numerous times this season Wiggins and Wilson have got in good deliveries and due to the fact that neither Church or Yann are not natural scorers and not in the right position although with Yann it's also because he's often deep and playing in the hole. Give Smith a few games and I think he'll give a few championship defenders a good old game.
  • Put smith and Piggott up front vs oxford...
  • edited January 2014
    "Richard Cawley @RichCawleySLP
    Over 10 clubs now registered loan interest in Michael Smith. Sounds like player has heart set on Lg 1 move if can't get #cafc chance."

• edited January 2014

No disrespect to Smith but I'm hoping for a better option coming in during the window than an untried player.

I am not having a go but Chris Solly was also untried once. So was Wagstaff and Jenkinson and Cousins. If anything Smith is more tried than the others and although the defending was poor in his compilation clip, Smith is in those right positions to stick them in the back of the net. It seems to be that we've sent him on loan to 3 different clubs and he's done well at all 3.

3 in 6 at Accrington
    2 in 8 at Colchester
    10 in 24 at AFC Wimbledon.

The problem I have though is that the majority of his goals are due to service into the strikers. We don't do that enough. I'd like to see him come off the bench vs Barnsley.

I have to say I was impressed with his goals. despite the defending he does seem to be able to score different types of goals, including some that Church has failed to score.

However, RugbyAddick says what I was thinking when I watched all those cracking headers from crosses. We don't cross the ball. We play narrow and the only winger we've had play this season (Stewart) always cuts inside and shoots.

Ignoring that though, I am confident that this lad is going to have a full career as a striker (assuming he avoids injury). Even if he is not going to be playing in the top division, he is going to be a star somewhere - those goals didn't look lucky, he has a real talent.
  • maybe he should run around like a headless chicken a little bit more. Add to that a nice little scuff of the ball every time he gets in the box and he might get a chance
  • Something about him. Obviously the vid's a compilation of his best bits, but I'm quite impressed with the range of his finishing, and his strength and commitment on several of them. Physically he's well ahead of Pigott, plays pretty direct, and he clearly has an eye for goal - whether he could escape the shackles of canny Championship defenders is another thing, but he'd certainly be a handful. I'd like to see him given a chance, because we won't know if he can step up until he has been.
  • Sponsored links:

• Piggott is a natural finisher. Chalk and cheese comparison to Smith, totally different. One is a striker one is a centre forward.

u have to allow for the fact that even Mr Chance Man , andy cole the goal, would struggle to create more than one chance a game in this current tactical style we have been forced to adopt. Real unfair on piggott taking all the flak...its a team game and u would have need to be Pele to do anything in that millwall game, the way we set up and then proceeded to play.

id send them both out on loan or just recoup a fee for smith with a permanent transfer , who IMO isnt ready for champs...playing upfront in this team, they are going disappoint
  • "Given that Michael Smith is playing in the Premier League, how come we let him go on a free?"

"Because, at the time, we were the 21st highest scorers (22 goals from 24 games) and we had Kermy (5), Churchy (3), Joe P (0) and Super Marv (1) - although the last named wasn't actually with us at the time either in body or spirit. There's no way he was going to get in front of those goal machines was there?".
  • If Smith kicks a ball for us then the only place he can go back on loan to is Wimbledon as you can only play for 2 clubs per season.

• If Smith is good enough for the Championship then why aren't AFC Wimbledon desperate to get him back? I'd be very surprised if he features.
  • edited January 2014

If Smith is good enough for the Championship then why aren't AFC Wimbledon desperate to get him back?

They are, along with 10 other clubs.

• reserves said:

If Smith kicks a ball for us then the only place he can go back on loan to is Wimbledon as you can only play for 2 clubs per season.

I think its another case of the 'emergency' loan rule being abused, but.....there is (or at least there WAS) a way around the 'two clubs a season' rule because emergency loans do not count towards the total, lord knows why. But that was the way clubs were doing it a few seasons back, not sure if that is still the case or not.

If it is, Smith could go on an emergency loan to any club after playing for us and still not break any FIFA rules.

However, like I say, this could have changed in the last few seasons and then I'm completely wrong.
  • just read that Northampton want Smith but have been told they will have to pay a fee.
  • edited January 2014
    That's the dilemma, there are clubs that are happy to pay a fee, however if we play him even for 5 mins, he can't play for another team until he's out of contract.
  • Sponsored links:

• I hope he is given a go tomorrow. if he isn't then i would suggest we are definitely looking at another striker and he is on his way out.
  • reserves said:

That's the dilemma, there are clubs that are happy to pay a fee, however if we play him even for 5 mins, he can't play for another team until he's out of contract.

if he plays for us he can sign for another club, its just called an emergency loan like what happened with cameron stewart at leeds
  • reserves said:

Not quite correct. If we play him then he would have played his allocation of two clubs this season and cannot play another .... unless he goes on an emergency loan. Which I think is 93 days only.

An example of this is Cameron Stewart who completed his two clubs by playing with us and Hull and is now with Leeds on an emergency loan and a full contract with them in the summer.

Daft rule.
  • as said, daft.
  • As I've said before we should give him a chance. More experienced than Pigott, scored goals whenever he's gone out on loan and we've spent 2.5 seasons developing him. Like Cousins he may do better than expected.

I'd understand us letting him go if we had signed a more proven striker or two, but it stands we haven't. With Sordell out there's room for him on the bench.
  • We need to give him a chance,we would not get a big fee for him.SCP said had he not gone to the Wombles he would have got some time up front for us.
  • Smith is out of contract in the summer - so it really is now or never for him.
    And he'll know that.
  • Scoham said:

As I've said before we should give him a chance. More experienced than Pigott, scored goals whenever he's gone out on loan and we've spent 2.5 seasons developing him. Like Cousins he may do better than expected.

I'd understand us letting him go if we had signed a more proven striker or two, but it stands we haven't. With Sordell out there's room for him on the bench.

This. We will never know if we don't play him. He can't be any worse than Piggott or Church & if he isn't at least on the bench tomorrow then CP needs his lumps felt !!
  • I can't believe Powell doesn't think he's worth a go. From what I've seen of him he could score goals. Church is doing it and Sordell is injured and not interested. Yann is sitting deeper and playing in more a number 10 role. That leaves Pigot or Smith if we're playing two up front. I like both but do rate Smith above Pigot and he has league experience and is already into double figures this season.
  • I'd be very surprised if we don't name him on the bench tomorrow.